The Student Room Group

I'm just happy to have you as a friend - what does this mean?

Mods, please if possible could you keep this in chat so that I could get more responses? :smile:

I was recently speaking to someone I have known for a bit.

The conversation was okay, but he mentioned that I had put on a bit of weight since I last saw him.

I have been feeling quite down and lonely recently due to bullying and loneliness I haven faced.

I messaged this person saying that I am sorry if he hates me or thinks that I am a (I won't explicitly mention the name that the bullies call me).

He got back saying:

Why would you think I think that? I'm just happy to have you as a friend. Exactly as you are. Don't change. Just enjoy life.

Please can you help me interpret this as I struggle to interpret things like this myself.

Do you think that this person is being genuine and genuinely considers me as a friend?

What do you think they meant by 'I'm just happy to have you as a friend'?

Thank you very much for any advice.
Reply 1
It means they're happy to have you as a friend.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
It means they're happy to have you as a friend.

Do you genuinely think that they are my friend or are they just saying this to make me feel better?
Reply 3
Original post by Tomm98
Do you genuinely think that they are my friend or are they just saying this to make me feel better?

Only he knows what he's thinking. Actions speak louder than words as they say. Saying they're a friend doesn't necessarily make them one.

Quick Reply

Latest