The Student Room Group

I have massively miscalculated what my offers would be can i have some good advice?

Original post by hrtfguyffg
So I'm taking biology chemistry and philosophy A-Levels and being predicted AAA but my referee noted I have a good chance of getting an A*. I had to ask for these predictions as I was being predicted lower BUT I actually achieved the highest in my college in both Chem and bio with 89% and 75% but they wouldn't predict anyone an A also in philosophy I was being predicted a B but I achieved 82% so I asked for an A. For context: My gcses are terrible, my reference is good, personal statement quite good and work experience is very good but also im a borderline mature student lastly I attend one of the very bottom colleges in the country.

So I've applied for biotechnology to Manchester Leeds Nottingham imperial and Durham (biochemistry). Nottingham is 30th for bio and yet they have offered me ABB Manchester is 13th and they've offered AAA Leeds is 19th and they've offered me AAA the last two haven't got back to me but they'll either be rejections or A* A A. So I thought BBB from Nottingham and ABB from Manchester obviously miscalculated. What do I do do you think? And why are they asking for top band when I'm at a low ranking college and these unis are not even top 10? Just to help you understand my choices; very few unis do biotechnology and it was either these or options that were the complete opposite.

Any help is appreciated

Universities don't alter offers based on your school circumstances unless you hand them offical documentation. Maybe your circumstances were considered in giving you an offer, but not altering the offer itself.

I have massively miscalculated what my offers would be can i have some good advice?

So I'm taking biology chemistry and philosophy A-Levels and being predicted AAA but my referee noted I have a good chance of getting an A*. I had to ask for these predictions as I was being predicted lower BUT I actually achieved the highest in my college in both Chem and bio with 89% and 75% but they wouldn't predict anyone an A also in philosophy I was being predicted a B but I achieved 82% so I asked for an A. For context: My gcses are terrible, my reference is good, personal statement quite good and work experience is very good but also im a borderline mature student lastly I attend one of the very bottom colleges in the country.

So I've applied for biotechnology to Manchester Leeds Nottingham imperial and Durham (biochemistry). Nottingham is 30th for bio and yet they have offered me ABB Manchester is 13th and they've offered AAA Leeds is 19th and they've offered me AAA the last two haven't got back to me but they'll either be rejections or A* A A. So I thought BBB from Nottingham and ABB from Manchester obviously miscalculated. What do I do do you think? And why are they asking for top band when I'm at a low ranking college and these unis are not even top 10? Just to help you understand my choices; very few unis do biotechnology and it was either these or options that were the complete opposite.

Any help is appreciated

Universities don't alter offers based on your school circumstances unless you hand them offical documentation. Maybe your circumstances were considered in giving you an offer, but not altering the offer itself.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

My emphasis is not on my circumstances but the calibre of university. Do you think they believe that there are too many better candidates ( again Nottingham is great but it's ranked 30th so id assume that isn't probable ( I know rankings aren't an infallible metric but it's the only information I have)) or do they just want to make it harder for me to deter/dissuade what they think is an unsatisfactory applicant?
If a university gives out an offer higher than what’s typically offered - Or if it’s a standard offer and you feel you should be entitled to lower, it’s because they want a certain level of academic assurance that you’re capable of their course. It could be that you were slightly lacking in one area, or that the competition was just strong this year. Either way, just work hard to meet the offers.
My emphasis is not on my circumstances but the calibre of university. Do you think they believe that there are too many better candidates ( again Nottingham is great but it's ranked 30th so id assume that isn't probable ( I know rankings aren't an infallible metric but it's the only information I have)) or do they just want to make it harder for me to deter/dissuade what they think is an unsatisfactory applicant?

Then why do you mention going to a poor school and these universities giving you higher offers when they should be lower?

I'm sure 90% of candidates got the same offer you did. Just try and meet them, even if you miss by a grade they'll likely accept you, except Imperial, obviously.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Then why do you mention going to a poor school and these universities giving you higher offers when they should be lower?

I'm sure 90% of candidates got the same offer did. Just try and meet them, even if you miss by a grade they'll likely accept you, except Imperial, obviously.

it was just for context so you guys know my situation. I'll definitely try to meet them of course but I guess my issue is that Ill be trying hard to simply get into a mid tier uni, I'll just hope to get an offer from imperial but if that doesn't happen its manchester/Leeds or bust
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending