The Student Room Group

Is going to see a doctor about his a waste of his time..

I have been feeling anxious and depressed for some while now. I have made an appointment to go and see a doctor but I am worried that this is a waste of his time.
Original post by ShyBeatlesFan01
I have been feeling anxious and depressed for some while now. I have made an appointment to go and see a doctor but I am worried that this is a waste of his time.

No, it's not a waste of your GP's time.

Mental Health is paramount, and if you've been feeling anxious/depressed for a while, then see your GP about it. You're not time-wasting.
Original post by Blue_Cow
No, it's not a waste of your GP's time.

Mental Health is paramount, and if you've been feeling anxious/depressed for a while, then see your GP about it. You're not time-wasting.

Thanks. I just feel like other people could use the appointment more than me.
depends on the severity
Thanks. I just feel like other people could use the appointment more than me.

People who need an appointment urgently on the same day will get one. Most people phone in on the day as soon as the surgery opens to get an urgent/emergency appointment anyway.
Just as valid as any other reason.
Doctors are paid to help people. Even if he says there is nothing seriously wrong that is helping you.
Original post by Blue_Cow
People who need an appointment urgently on the same day will get one. Most people phone in on the day as soon as the surgery opens to get an urgent/emergency appointment anyway.

Thanks I don't feel as bad now.
Thanks I don't feel as bad now.

:smile:
Original post by Tiger Rag
Just as valid as any other reason.

Thanks
Original post by the bear
Doctors are paid to help people. Even if he says there is nothing seriously wrong that is helping you.

Thank You!!

Not at all. GP is for when you are feeling unwell and can't manage it alone.
Are you feeling unwell? Yup. Can you manage it alone? Well it's not improved so far so you probably need some help. There you go, appointment justified.

You don't need to think about there being some people who might need the appointment more, there are other appointments for them. You need this appointment so you book it and you go. You are the most important person in your life so look out for yourself.

And besides, you need it more that the woman who's elbow feels a bit funny or the guy who has a bit of a nasty cold and his work is insisting on a drs note. There will only ever be one person who needs something most or is suffering most, doesn't mean other people don't need things or aren't suffering too.

Good luck with everything. Drs appts can be a bit stressful, so you might like to write down anything you want to discuss so you don't forget :smile:
It isn’t a waste of time, but don’t let them fob you off with medication. Find out all of your options and make sure they know you need more focussed and measured help, even if you’re not sure if you do.

I wish you luck! There are lots of charities that can provide support too if all else fails.
If you have a genuine reason for going then no its not a waste
I understand why you feel that way but honestly, it really isn't. Not at all. Wishing you the best
I took the courage to make an appointment and see a doctor because I was just feeling so unmotivated and I still do cos it hasn’t been that long but it seriously helps. No ones judging you and you’re being heard. I suggest you do.
I saw your other thread, and it won't be a waste of time. Be as honest and clear as possible about how you feel and what you want, and your doctor will be able to refer you to what you need.

My advice for getting therapy is to not expect it to get better immediately, because it won't. You'll have to work hard and you'll have highs and lows and it'll be exhausting, but it is so worth it. It's not a waste of time. It'll take time, but it won't be a waste.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest