The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge medical schools?

I want to do a medicine course in either Oxford or Cambridge, but I don’t know which university is better. Also, I’d like to know about students life in Oxbridge.

So, which one is better in terms of medicine?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChangTNC
I want to do a medicine course in either Oxford or Cambridge, but I don’t know which university is better. Also, I’d like to know about students life in Oxbridge Uni.

Oxbridge Uni? Such an uni doesn't exist :tongue:

Anyways, seriously: It depends on which course you like more... they are both equally good for medicine but the course structure is inherently different. Research the course structure and see which one you like more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What measure of 'better' would you like to use?

Here is an old response comparing the two courses.

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction
the whole jist i get is that cambridge is better than oxford for medicine but i dont really have any stats?
consider this though - cambridge has addenbrookes hospital around the corner (arguably one of the best hospitals in the word) whereas oxford doesn’t have that...

i would look at what other people have said though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by clouddbubbles
the whole jist i get is that cambridge is better than oxford for medicine but i dont really have any stats?
consider this though - cambridge has addenbrookes hospital around the corner (arguably one of the best hospitals in the word) whereas oxford doesn’t have that...

i would look at what other people have said though :smile:

1. The whole jist in the rankings suggests otherwise, year on year, although admittedly it's marginal.

2. Addenbrookes has been in a spot of bother lately and to be fair the JR isn't that bad.

3. Cambridge is much, much quieter and whereas that might be a bonus for a quiet, serious student it also might be a bit dull for the more extrovert types.

4. The fact that there are less medics in each cohort at a college at Oxford probably just means medics mix more outside their subject, which is possibly a good thing, not bad.

5. For some reason Oxford students do better in the 6th year exam which counts for half the marks going forward for the allocation of F1 jobs. It's a clear trend although again, fairly marginal. But presumably there's a reason for consistently doing better.

6. Cambridge is exceedingly cold a lot of the time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Irwin
1. The whole jist in the rankings suggests otherwise, year on year, although admittedly it's marginal.

2. Addenbrookes has been in a spot of bother lately and to be fair the JR isn't that bad.

3. Cambridge is much, much quieter and whereas that might be a bonus for a quiet, serious student it also might be a bit dull for the more extrovert types.

4. The fact that there are less medics in each cohort at a college at Oxford probably just means medics mix more outside their subject, which is possibly a good thing, not bad.

5. For some reason Oxford students do better in the 6th year exam which counts for half the marks going forward for the allocation of F1 jobs. It's a clear trend although again, fairly marginal. But presumably there's a reason for consistently doing better.

6. Cambridge is exceedingly cold a lot of the time.

thanks for heading up my suggestion - didn’t really have any stats it was just what i heard but yeah?!

i guess oxford is the better one according to what everyone’s saying :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles

Original post by Irwin
5. For some reason Oxford students do better in the 6th year exam ...

In fact Oxford students do better in virtually every postgraduate exam :wink:
Original post by nexttime
What measure of 'better' would you like to use?

Here is an old response comparing the two courses.

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction

Fair enough if by that measure Oxford has a student satisfaction for medicine. But by almost all university wide measures I’ve seen Cambridge is higher. Which really shows how arbitrary and subjective the data is, so I wouldn’t pick a school based off of that.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
In fact Oxford students do better in virtually every postgraduate exam :wink:

I was being low key :smile:
Original post by ChangTNC
I want to do a medicine course in either Oxford or Cambridge, but I don’t know which university is better. Also, I’d like to know about students life in Oxbridge Uni.

The best medicine courses are not at Oxbridge ...
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Fair enough if by that measure Oxford has a student satisfaction for medicine. But by almost all university wide measures I’ve seen Cambridge is higher. Which really shows how arbitrary and subjective the data is, so I wouldn’t pick a school based off of that.

The very highest in the NSS overall out of all ~37 med schools every single year for 9 years running is hardly "arbitrary"!

Of course it has limits.
They are both the best for ****'s sake, is oxbridge after all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending