The Student Room Group

Could I apply for a science based masters degree with a bachelors in Philosophy

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone could help.I have an upper second class bachelors degree in Philosophy. I am extremely interested in pursuing a career in Ecology, Conservation and Biodiversity. I will be going for one month to Guyana on a research expedition where I will gain experience with the biodiversity and neotropical megafauna of the Guiana Shield. I was wondering if this experience would be substantial enough to apply for a Masters Degree. The reason I would like to go back to school would be to immerse myself in this field and learn as much as I can. If you have any advise in how to transition from one subject to another that would be very helpful!
Reply 1
As a general rule of thumb i'm inclined to say no as universities like to see you have a prior grounding in that subject or atleast something similar. With that being said it is worth asking the individual universities you're interested in as their requirements will differ between them.
London Metro: Yes

Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial and etc: NO
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
As a general rule of thumb i'm inclined to say no as universities like to see you have a prior grounding in that subject or atleast something similar. With that being said it is worth asking the individual universities you're interested in as their requirements will differ between them.

Thanks for your response! That’s the general idea I am getting. The entry requirements of a lot of the universities I’ve looked into mention that i’d either have to have a related degree or no degree and substantial experience. However, I don’t want to go for another undergraduate degree as that would take up a lot of time and money. I’m just trying to figure out how best to reach my goal!

Quick Reply

Latest