The Student Room Group

Dyeing hair

So I have black hair and I want to bleach it blonde so I can dye my hair brown, without having lots of ginger and red tones. However if I decide to change my hair colour can I still do that after I've dyed it brown. Can I buy like hair dye remover and strip the dye so I can go back to the blonde later? Thanks!!!!
Original post by Esme6560
So I have black hair and I want to bleach it blonde so I can dye my hair brown, without having lots of ginger and red tones. However if I decide to change my hair colour can I still do that after I've dyed it brown. Can I buy like hair dye remover and strip the dye so I can go back to the blonde later? Thanks!!!!

If your hair is black and you want to go bleach blonde or even brown I would seriously recommend getting it done at the salon. There's too much room for error if it's done at home by someone with little/ no experience. It may be a little pricier to go to the salon but it sure saves the tears of having messed up hair.
If you're gonna go from black to blonde then please go to a salon and have it done professionally, it might be expensive but it'll be better than ruining your hair by yourself. I'd also advise to stay away from hair dye remover because it'll kill your hair.

If you went from black to blonde then your hair might go brown after the first dye, as it takes time to get it completely blonde. Best thing to do would be to ask a hairdresser.
Reply 3
Original post by crocodile_ears
If you're gonna go from black to blonde then please go to a salon and have it done professionally, it might be expensive but it'll be better than ruining your hair by yourself. I'd also advise to stay away from hair dye remover because it'll kill your hair.

If you went from black to blonde then your hair might go brown after the first dye, as it takes time to get it completely blonde. Best thing to do would be to ask a hairdresser.

I'd rather do it myself, I'm gonna use wella blondor with 40developer once and then the next week once more, plus I can't really afford it so
I'd rather do it myself, I'm gonna use wella blondor with 40developer once and then the next week once more, plus I can't really afford it so

Okay that's fair, maybe invest in a good deep conditioner then? I know you can make homemade ones too if you're tight on cash. Also make sure you do a test strand first to see how the dye works before you do your whole hair.
Reply 5
I would also recommend you go to a salon, as someone who's gone black > blonde. Sorry, I know you said you can't afford it but I honestly think it'd be worth saving up and getting it done properly. I had to have my hair bleached 3 times; sat there for about 3 hours and it might be worth noting that the hairdresser put on those big steaming hoods instead of just leaving me to sit while the bleach worked. And yes, the hair does go brown after the first dye (a rather pretty golden-brown). I took photos between each bleaching because I wanted to show people but I'm not sure how to upload them. :'-D

Anyways, if you do it wrong (i.e. get too much on your scalp), especially with strong bleach, you could end up with some nasty chemical burns. If you don't apply closely enough to the roots you'd end up with a funky pudding top instead. In either case, you'd likely have to pay extra to get it fixed. Just not worth it.

Last notes: you don't have to get any special hair treatments done at the salon, but it's worth asking if they could use conditioner (during the final wash at least). + I'm very fond of Redken's All-Soft Heavy Cream hair masque.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Don't try bleaching your hair at home. You'll end up wrecking it. Leave your hair alone and save up. It'll take time, but it's better than having your hair ruined. Also black to blonde will require a load of maintenance. You'll need it redoing every 6 weeks or something mental.
I had Asian black hair and used an Ash Blonde dye (ash is important so it has no red or brassy undertones). This one was Garnier I believe and had no bleach or ammonia as I really didn't want to bleach my hair. It turned out a really nice shade of brown and didn't look damaged because there wasn't any bleach involved. This summer I dyed my hair red, I didn't strip the hair or anything, I just did it.

Black to blonde is way too far to do at home. You won't have the expertise, experience, tools, or dye to do it to a decent standard. Take it from someone who tried, it is not worth it. Save up to have it done properly. Redoing your roots yourself is one thing, but doing an entire head of hair is so unlikely to work well. The amount of time you'll have to have bleach on your hair will be so damaging. Hair salons can use stronger stuff and are trained to use it properly. You'll still come out with damage obviously, but nothing compared to a home job. Hair strippers are also terrible, I would really recommend avoiding them. They strip your hair of everything and leave it so damaged. To get your hair to a more neutral blonde without the warm tones, it'll probably be breaking off in your hands before you reach that point. It's absolutely worth looking for someone who knows what they're doing. Even if you visit somewhere like Toni and Guy and see someone lower down in the rankings there, it makes it cheaper. It's absolutely worth it for the bleaching part. It'll cost you loads more to do it yourself and have to go and get it all fixed afterwards

Quick Reply