NiamhDaisy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm looking for some advice on how to improve my AS Chemistry grade! I started my A levels in September after receiving my GCSEs (I got 10A*s and 2As) I've taken Biology Chemistry and Physics for A level. In our first exams I received an A* in Physics, A in Biology and a D in Chemistry!

I got an A* in GCSE chemistry and am doing 3 hours revision a night so I need some advice on the best ways to revise and prepare as I must be going wrong somewhere. Currently to revise I write notes, answer textbook questions and try exam style questions (and then mark them!

I really appreciate any advice!

ckflake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Same here.
Do absolutely loads of past papers, as many as you can find.
Find your exam board specification online and learn that. It has in it exactly what you need to know with none of the waffle that the text books have.
xx
NiamhDaisy
Rep:
?
I'm with AQA, hbu? Do you know anywhere to get AS specific questions because most I find are AS and A2 combined and I can't do parts of them if that makes sense? Xx
ckflake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NiamhDaisy)
I'm with AQA, hbu? Do you know anywhere to get AS specific questions because most I find are AS and A2 combined and I can't do parts of them if that makes sense? Xx
Im with OCR and mine were separate. I found for my spec that there are certain modules in A2 which are the same as AS.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i used physics and maths tutor (ik as weird as it sounds) they have everything i need for the mock i did a couple hours ago
NiamhDaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
i used physics and maths tutor (ik as weird as it sounds) they have everything i need for the mock i did a couple hours ago
Thank you so much! I'm gonna check the website out later!
Ddraigdwr2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently in year thirteen and I was in exactly the same boat at this point last year. My best advice is to speak to your teachers. Anything you don't understand, see them about it straight away. Also, read ahead in your textbook so that you know what will be covered in the topic (or at least the next lesson). ALL my teachers said this to me but I didn't do it, but when I started reading ahead it makes a huge difference. I can also recommend Chemguide and Chemrevise. Chemguide explains everything in detail for A level chemistry, and Chemrevise provides condensed but detailed revision notes on every AS and A2 level topic, for the new specifications and they have notes specific for each exam board. I would also recommend physics and maths tutor, as I see others have already said here.

I know I said I was in your position this time last year, and I am glad to say that I am now predicted an A* in chemistry. Believe in yourself and preserver!

(I know this may seem quite far in the future, but over summer, read the textbook for next years work! Trust me it helps!)
scienceishguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm looking for some advice on how to improve my AS Chemistry grade! I started my A levels in September after receiving my GCSEs (I got 10A*s and 2As) I've taken Biology Chemistry and Physics for A level. In our first exams I received an A* in Physics, A in Biology and a D in Chemistry!

I got an A* in GCSE chemistry and am doing 3 hours revision a night so I need some advice on the best ways to revise and prepare as I must be going wrong somewhere. Currently to revise I write notes, answer textbook questions and try exam style questions (and then mark them!

I really appreciate any advice!

Hello! It may be a case of the topic itself might be stumping you, if its the beginning of the year, was it the molar equation stuff? I had a hard time at the beginning of the year but it got better. By the sounds of it, you are doing everything right, by doing exam style and text book questions.

Is this your first test? If so, see how it goes for the next one. Your teacher will be able to see from your test what you are missing. With the quantitative questions, it can be more how you interpret and answer the question, A Level questions do tend to look easy but seem to have an inner demon.

If you have workshops (after college sessions) after college or at lunch, attend them as it means you have more time with your (or another) teacher which can be really beneficial as it is difficult with 20 other students in the room. Also means you can ask anything or they can even find more resources or questions for you.

I currently do A Level (second year) chemistry, so by all means drop me a message if you ever get stuck!
NiamhDaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by scienceishguy)
Hello! It may be a case of the topic itself might be stumping you, if its the beginning of the year, was it the molar equation stuff? I had a hard time at the beginning of the year but it got better. By the sounds of it, you are doing everything right, by doing exam style and text book questions.

Is this your first test? If so, see how it goes for the next one. Your teacher will be able to see from your test what you are missing. With the quantitative questions, it can be more how you interpret and answer the question, A Level questions do tend to look easy but seem to have an inner demon.

If you have workshops (after college sessions) after college or at lunch, attend them as it means you have more time with your (or another) teacher which can be really beneficial as it is difficult with 20 other students in the room. Also means you can ask anything or they can even find more resources or questions for you.

I currently do A Level (second year) chemistry, so by all means drop me a message if you ever get stuck!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Our school currently isn't running any extra sessions - I'm currently doing bonding, shapes of molecule etc. with one teacher and molecular equations with the other! I did actually do better in the bonding section! It was my first test and I have mocks next week so fingers crossed, I'll keep you up to date.

As you're a year 13 I have to ask, does it get easier? Not the content, but does it get easier to cope with the workload?
scienceishguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much for your advice!

Our school currently isn't running any extra sessions - I'm currently doing bonding, shapes of molecule etc. with one teacher and molecular equations with the other! I did actually do better in the bonding section! It was my first test and I have mocks next week so fingers crossed, I'll keep you up to date.

As you're a year 13 I have to ask, does it get easier? Not the content, but does it get easier to cope with the workload?

Mocks will give an indication of what to improve, teachers will hopefully be able to give advice too.

You gain a structure after a while. I found, as well as my peers, around May time of first year a lot of us got into gear with organising ourselves. Workload doesn't really change, if you dont keep on top it will get bigger. But if you get into a system of using free time and effectively doing work... it will be fine. It is a big jump from GCSE, that's why it is a bit of a stretch at the beginning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.15%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (95)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.4%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.92%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.06%
Financial worries (61)
6.82%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.26%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.04%

Watched Threads