Are these subjects suitable for medicene (plz reply!!)

Watch
HelloThere191817
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’ve taken Biol, Chem and English lit along with Welsh bac which is now compulsory. I’ve only just decided that I want to do medicene, and I’m worried that I’m at a dissadvantage. Taking into consideration that I got 12A*’s at gcse, would it be possible for me to get in? I’m only worried because my parents act like it’s unlikely for me to get in unless I have Physics or Geography and the careers advisor I’ve talked to seems doubtful.
hannahistrash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most med schools only require Chemistry A Level, another science so in your case Biology and one further academic subject (not General Studies or Critical Thinking), so English Lit would count as that.
You also have a lot of A*s so it's definitely possible for you to be accepted. Just make sure you do a lot of volunteering etc for your personal statement and you'll be fine
hannahistrash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're still unsure go on the specific med school's websites and all of their entry requirements are listed there.
CuriousCat567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most universities require chemistry and prefer another science (some want biology at least to AS) The third subject doesn’t matter too much- just check the course requirements for the universities you’re interested in. Some universities, for example UCL, like a weird third subject like English as it suggests you’re a well-rounded individual You’ll do fine and do some research about the universities! What year are you in?
HelloThere191817
Rep:
?
(Original post by CuriousCat567)
Most universities require chemistry and prefer another science (some want biology at least to AS) The third subject doesn’t matter too much- just check the course requirements for the universities you’re interested in. Some universities, for example UCL, like a weird third subject like English as it suggests you’re a well-rounded individual You’ll do fine and do some research about the universities! What year are you in?
I’m in year 12
CuriousCat567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
I’m in year 12
Perfect! Research entry requirements, do plenty of volunteering/work experience especially to do with people and show community engagement. Keep up with current affairs. Medical schools especially want someone committed to medicine. So why do you want to do medicine over nursing or biomedicine (the more sciencey side behind diseases)?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is an entire section on TSR devoted to applying for Medicine - including advice about A level subjects : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Read it all, carefully.
HelloThere191817
Rep:
?
(Original post by CuriousCat567)
Perfect! Research entry requirements, do plenty of volunteering/work experience especially to do with people and show community engagement. Keep up with current affairs. Medical schools especially want someone committed to medicine. So why do you want to do medicine over nursing or biomedicine (the more sciencey side behind diseases)?
Medicene has always been in the background of my childhood since both my parents are doctors. I loved the idea of it but it’s only until recently that I’ve understood why it’s such a great career. It seems extremely rewarding and thought of me being able to give something back makes me want to do it even more! I’m not sure if you were asking a rhetorical question but here’s my answer 😂.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (52)
65.82%
I don't have everything I need (27)
34.18%

Watched Threads