The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

sheffield hallam ski team

are they succesful in uni races? do people take it seriously or is it more of a social society? thanks
Original post by Mills2000
are they succesful in uni races? do people take it seriously or is it more of a social society? thanks

Looks more social. they seem to have a degree of co operation with the Sheff uni society.

Their facebook is here, so contact one of the officers.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/SHUSNOW/about/?ref=page_internal
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Hey,

I agree with the above poster, that it looks like more of a social society. However, the team does compete with the Uni of Sheffield during Varsity, and also takes part in other events such as Kings, BUDS and BUSIC, so some of the members obviously take it quite seriously.

Here's a bit more info on the competitions that the society gets involved in:

Winter Varsity: Held on our Annual Winter Holiday
BUDS: Held at Midlothian Snowsports Centre, Hillend, Edinburgh (Dates TBA)
BUISC: Held at Castleford Snowzone (Dates TBA)
KINGS: Rounds @ Rossendale, Finals @ Bristol (DATES TBA)

If you need any other advice about Hallam i'd be happy to help :smile:

Anna
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Anna thx for your response i just wanted to ask ur thoughts about where most of the hallam students are from, i really love the uni based on what I have seen/know so far but im worried that because im from south of england and also because i went to a private school i would feel like an odd one out, are the people in sheffield generally friendly and accepting?x
Reply 4
Hi Anna thx for your response i just wanted to ask ur thoughts about where most of the hallam students are from, i really love the uni based on what I have seen/know so far but im worried that because im from south of england and also because i went to a private school i would feel like an odd one out, are the people in sheffield generally friendly and accepting?x

Hi Mills2000,

Do not worry, I went to a private school and loads of others at Sheffield Hallam have too. There are a loads of Southeners here, one of them is my flatmate. He loves it in Sheffield as he himself said 'People are way friendlier,polite up North' and he also said 'Everything up North is way way cheaper than the South'. He came up from Ipswich, Suffolk.

Let me know if you have any more quesions.

what course are you looking at btw?
Reply 5
I’m looking to study geography. What halls did you stay in/would recommend ? X
Reply 6

I am at The Pinnacles right now, and I will continue here to for my 2nd year. The Uni & Train stations are less than 10mins away, there are tramstops nearby if you want to go to The Meadowhall or Centertainment. The main city centre shops are 10-15mins away. There is a huge tesco nearby (10min walk). So basically everthing is nearby the Pinnacles EXCEPT Collegiate campus (20-25min walk). Check your Geog course if its in the city campus or collegiate campus. Also The Pinnacles has 100MBPS internet speed which is amazing!

The nearest accomodation to the main city campus is Leadmill. The most popular one is The Forge which is close to London Road and both city + collegiate campus. The Pinnacles starts from £101 a week and I think The Forge starts from £115 (they are both good equally interms of quality).

You can Private message me for my contact details if you would like more info about The Pinnacles or the Uni in general.
Reply 7
I'm on the De Montford ski team :smile:

We thrashed Sheffield Halal last year :laugh:

:2012:

Hey, sorry for the late reply,

Yeah, as the above poster said, there's a lot of southerner's up here - Hallam in general has quite a diverse group of people who attend so nobody would ever felt left out. The locals in Sheffield are also really nice and friendly, so you would be sure to feel at home pretty quick. I've lived in the city all my life and couldn't bring myself to move away for University so that should say something in itself, ha!

Don't be worried, everything will be fine! :smile:

Anna

Hey!

There are many student halls that I'm sure would suit you. In my first year, I stayed in a small block of flats called Kings Chambers, and I got a great quality room and big social area for a relatively cheap price, although some of the other floors weren't refurbished which means I was lucky to get on the nicer floor.

Halls such as Exchange Works (closest to City campus), the Forge, and Devonshire Courtyard are owned by the company Unite Students, meaning they are all at a high standard and offer you very similar facilities. Most of our Halls now are owned by those, so you'll know you're getting a certain standard of accommodation if you go there. So it mostly depends on whereabouts you'd like to be!

We do accommodation tours every Wednesday that you can book onto here: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/student-led-tours if you'd like to have a look around, as well as open days. We are also posting an accommodation chat on here on Wednesday 10th so look out for that on our forum!

As for your worries about coming up from the south - you will be absolutely fine. I have a mixture of friends from different places around the country, from Bristol to Cheshire to Darlington! If you're nice and friendly to others then they're going to be the same back to you - and if some aren't, you'll easily be able to distance yourself from them and find people who you click with.

Hope this helped!

Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending