The Student Room Group

Journey to 10 9's!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
UPDATE 3/01/2018

What irked me today was actually in Business Studies.
A girl in my school, called Y [background info - She doesn't perform as well in other subjects, foundation for science maths etc] did really well in Business Studies. I was happy for her but I just read off a page in the textbook 30 minutes before the exam for revision and I got the same mark as her. She got all the praise too. Which I didn't find fair as my marks are consistent nearly always. I am predicted 8's 7's and 9's in all my subjects. This is the only subject she'll get an A* in so I'll give her that.

I agree, this is very condescending. If you’re not prepared to praise others on their achievements, no matter what their current level of achievement is, then don’t expect for people to bow down and praise to you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by okurr123
I agree, this is very condescending. If you’re not prepared to praise others on their achievements, no matter what their current level of achievement is, then don’t expect for people to bow down and praise to you. I obviously don’t know you but judging from this and your other posts on here, it is enough to show the type of person you are. :/

If you were honest on TSR would people like you?

She is jealous because one of her classmates received praise yet she didn't.
Didn't she say she was happy for said student but felt she hadn't received recognition.
Have you never felt jealous of someone else's results before!!??

People are so quick to bring you down @erratic_deus
I'll just say this then, I met her on the 29th December along with 3 other users who would be going to Westminster School or St Paul's or King's this September.
She is not only the smartest person I have ever met but also the most brutally honest as in almost rude person ever.

Spoiler

Please don't be mean to her because she said honestly that she was jealous of another students praise.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys!!!!!!!
Anyone reading this thread, I have Exampro and I will be willing to share this and actually tutor some of you (through skype preferably so I can revise too).
I really can't wait for MOCKS RESULTS DAY

Hehe you can tutor me in maths, I'll pick it up quickly, trust me :tongue: and other sciences - I understand it but can sometimes struggle with all the content (I still get good grades though lol)
Plus idk if you are but if you're interested here's my GYG if you wanted to see more about me! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5077226

Re your previous posts about business studies, I can't say I UNDERSTAND you as such, but my brother also has Aspergers and reactions like that are pretty common. No matter how much this annoys me, I've grown to learn that he can't help it and is trying his best to be 'normal'. Coming from me (and, it looks like, other TSR users on this post - note I don't have AS), my reaction would be that that's really condescending - this person clearly worked very hard for their result because, as seen from their results in other subjects, they struggle with academics, so it's not really surprising that she deserves a lot of praise for improvement. I've been in similar situations when I get a good grade but haven't worked as much, but someone else who has worked harder gets the same but more praise - on the surface it's kinda annoying but when I think more, it's *****y of me to comment about that as they clearly deserve more praise than me, so I keep it in. I think the issue here is the 'keeping it in' - it's hard for people with AS. I'm sorry if I interpreted this wrongly and you may correct me if you wish, I'm just familiar with issues like this. If any of the other posters see this I get your point and honestly agree but it would be worthwhile trying to understand the struggles of disorders such as AS before criticising OP. :smile:
Original post by livxwaterman

People are so quick to bring you down @erratic_deus
I'll just say this then, I met her on the 29th December along with 3 other users who would be going to Westminster School or St Paul's or King's this September.
She is not only the smartest person I have ever met but also the most brutally honest as in almost rude person ever.

My uncle is the headteacher of one of the top private schools and you go to a private school too so you must know him and because of this, I've met with so many people just like M who can recall statistics from the back of their head and memorize pretty much in an instant if you asked her too.

Please don't be mean to her because she said honestly that she was jealous of another students praise.

Woah calm down, I didn’t bring them down nor was I being mean. OP was complaining about another student getting praise instead of OP and I was explaining why that probably happened. Also, intelligence doesn’t play a part in this, as it is a basic social skill to be nice to others and supportive.
And also the rest of your post is irrelevant to this.
My uncle is the headteacher of one of the top private schools and you go to a private school too so you must know him

I find it funny how you assume that hahaha I go to a private school and I'd bet my bottom dollar I've never heard of him :biggrin: I may have heard of the school but not the teacher - plus I didn't know Westminster existed until my friend got a Queen's Scholarship lolol
@okurr123 yeahh lets not go there
OP was honest. Brutally honest there but I don't think that makes him a bad person
as Olivia said if you were as honest would you have friends? prolly not but op clearly has friends and friends w/ connections which i guess is his type.
I'm currently a gcse student and i'd love to be around the OP not even for a day but for a week
i could really use the motivation to work hard -- also considering he got an offer for Westminster school, which i didn't even get.
on nov 4 there was about 800 people and half of which were boys, competing for 70 girl places and 10 boy places.
1/10 out of 400 of the smartest people in the country.
wow
Hi guys!!!!!!!
Anyone reading this thread, I have Exampro and I will be willing to share this and actually tutor some of you (through skype preferably so I can revise too).
I really can't wait for MOCKS RESULTS DAY

I sent you a pm with my skype name,
also what time do u wake up in the morning and how much revision do u do
Original post by physicseastldn
OP was honest. Brutally honest there but I don't think that makes him a bad person
as Olivia said if you were as honest would you have friends? prolly not but op clearly has friends and friends w/ connections which i guess is his type.
I'm currently a gcse student and i'd love to be around the OP not even for a day but for a week
i could really use the motivation to work hard -- also considering he got an offer for Westminster school, which i didn't even get.
on nov 4 there was about 800 people and half of which were boys, competing for 70 girl places and 10 boy places.
wow

I think OP uses she pronouns/is a girl. My bad if that's not the case.
Original post by J_O_K_E_R
Lmao no I didn't. Don't flatter yourself. I made an account to make a GYG thread (which, fyi, is free of sh*tty remarks). This just happened to be on 'latest'.

It isn't all about receiving positive remarks.
I was just confused since why would you know about all my other posts and bother to read them if you weren't against me from the Beginning.
Do you do this to all OP's of posts you read, or just the incredibly smart OP's?

I agree, this is very condescending. If you’re not prepared to praise others on their achievements, no matter what their current level of achievement is, then don’t expect for people to bow down and praise to you. I obviously don’t know you but judging from this and your other posts on here, it is enough to show the type of person you are. :/

What..?

No one is honest on TSR, I can tell.
Somehow everyone has a "flourishing social life, more than 10 friends, all 9's at GCSE and an oxbridge offer"
but nothing in between.
I guess my GYG approach is going to be quite honest, it isn't simply about me getting 10 9's. It is about me getting 10 9's as a black girl with Asperger's, "social" problems, lack of funding and an Oxbridge dream.

Original post by mundosinfin
I've been in similar situations when I get a good grade but haven't worked as much, but someone else who has worked harder gets the same but more praise - on the surface it's kinda annoying but when I think more, it's *****y of me to comment about that as they clearly deserve more praise than me, so I keep it in. I think the issue here is the 'keeping it in' - it's hard for people with AS. I'm sorry if I interpreted this wrongly and you may correct me if you wish, I'm just familiar with issues like this. If any of the other posters see this I get your point and honestly agree but it would be worthwhile trying to understand the struggles of disorders such as AS before criticising OP. :smile:

Everyone has been in such a similar situation once in their life, no one can deny this. I just decided to say it, maybe I didn't phrase it well but it is very obvious that I was jealous of Y because she got great grades.

Woah calm down, I didn’t bring them down nor was I being mean. OP was complaining about another student getting praise instead of OP and I was explaining why that probably happened. Also, intelligence doesn’t play a part in this, as it is a basic social skill to be nice to others and supportive.
And also the rest of your post is irrelevant to this.

Basic social skill - THIS LIST OF SKILLS DOESN'T EXIST LMAO

To be nice to others - I am nice, I praised Y as well despite being jealous because she is a struggling student WHO IS GETTING BETTER GRADES THAN SHE HAS EVER GOT BEFORE I UNDERSTAND WHY SHE GOT PRAISED, TO MOTIVATE HER. IF I GET PRAISE IT WILL DEMOTIVATE THE ENTIRE YEAR GROUP. I know my academic position is above hers but that could change with time. I tutor her and her "popular" friends every tuesday lunchtime if you are really so pressed about it.

Original post by mundosinfin
I find it funny how you assume that hahaha I go to a private school and I'd bet my bottom dollar I've never heard of him :biggrin: I may have heard of the school but not the teacher - plus I didn't know Westminster existed until my friend got a Queen's Scholarship lolol

I think Westminster School is the best school in the world, they recognized me and are giving me an education which I could have never got before but 100% deserve to have. Can't believe I'll be one of the 120 kids studying A-level maths and definitely getting an A or A*. (A* is 87% for Maths).

wow

WELP WHY MUST ALL THINK I AM A BOY

I sent you a pm with my skype name,
also what time do u wake up in the morning and how much revision do u do

Sure ! I'll tutor you in maths or physics, I don't know how to revise for any other subject well. But read the textbook before the exam for History. Good stuff that.

I wake up at 6 or 7am, I do moderate revision
It isn't all about receiving positive remarks.
I was just confused since why would you know about all my other posts and bother to read them if you weren't against me from the Beginning.
Do you do this to all OP's of posts you read, or just the incredibly smart OP's?

What..?

No one is honest on TSR, I can tell.
Somehow everyone has a "flourishing social life, more than 10 friends, all 9's at GCSE and an oxbridge offer"
but nothing in between.
I guess my GYG approach is going to be quite honest, it isn't simply about me getting 10 9's. It is about me getting 10 9's as a black girl with Asperger's, "social" problems, lack of funding and an Oxbridge dream.

Everyone has been in such a similar situation once in their life, no one can deny this. I just decided to say it, maybe I didn't phrase it well but it is very obvious that I was jealous of Y because she got great grades.

Basic social skill - THIS LIST OF SKILLS DOESN'T EXIST LMAO

To be nice to others - I am nice, I praised Y as well despite being jealous because she is a struggling student WHO IS GETTING BETTER GRADES THAN SHE HAS EVER GOT BEFORE I UNDERSTAND WHY SHE GOT PRAISED, TO MOTIVATE HER. IF I GET PRAISE IT WILL DEMOTIVATE THE ENTIRE YEAR GROUP. I know my academic position is above hers but that could change with time. I tutor her and her "popular" friends every tuesday lunchtime if you are really so pressed about it.

I think Westminster School is the best school in the world, they recognized me and are giving me an education which I could have never got before but 100% deserve to have. Can't believe I'll be one of the 120 kids studying A-level maths and definitely getting an A or A*. (A* is 87% for Maths).

WELP WHY MUST ALL THINK I AM A BOY

Sure ! I'll tutor you in maths or physics, I don't know how to revise for any other subject well. But read the textbook before the exam for History. Good stuff that.

I wake up at 6 or 7am, I do moderate revision

she is the op of that private school thread
ha - she follows me

No I definitely do not ahah
(edited 6 years ago)
Huh? What are you on about positive remarks? I said my thread isn't full of sh*tty remarks - yours is.

And no lmao, again don't flatter yourself. I've browsed TSR for a while before now but only made the account today. I've seen you around during my browsing.

And tbqh, no one cares if you're an autistic black girl with "social" problems and a lack of funding - that doesn't give you any superiority above others, and you're far from the only one in your position.

Have a nice life; I can't be dealing with people using sob stories to justify their superiority complex.

1. My thread is not full of *****y remarks, please read it again. You have decided to become hostile on my thread for no particular reason.

But due to me as a person, people who are less informed will usually shout the loudest.

Most people interested have DM'ed me or texted me

2. Thanks for remembering me :smile:

The deputy headteacher of my school who taught me history in year 9 said I was the best student he's had in over 30 years.

Then compared me to an alumni at my school who studied at Cambridge, Harvard back to Cambridge and now works at King's Bench Walk.

3. Autistic black girl with "social problems" and a lack of funding is quite racist and oppressional.

Why do you have to be like this.

I am not an Autistic black girl with social problems.

I am a black girl, I have autism and with that comes the expectation in society for me to be "socially perfect" 5-10 constant friends, average grades, banter with teachers etc etc stuff I'm not interested in.

My economic state also is none of your business and you shouldn't have rephrased it.

What makes me superior with all of those qualities?

In case you haven't noticed - black people are marginalized in British society unless they're rich rappers or etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UJpR4VnUXcwph_Hrk8Eo8dnzKelrOxm6WvO16Kle5to/edit?usp=sharing

Hi all! I'm sharing my sheets document.
Soon I'll add everything on it. When that is done it is 2 hours of revision a day.... !!!!!!!!
Lmao no I didn't. Don't flatter yourself. I made an account to make a GYG thread (which, fyi, is free of sh*tty remarks). This just happened to be on 'latest'.

Her thread doesn't have any bad remarks. You don't have to swear 2.
Clearly came here for an argument and no one seems to be defending you but people are defending Martina since she's a nice person, you happen to not be.

Could you read her post again and tell me where she wasn't happen for the person in particular?

Both of these users need to leave this thread and I bet they're the same person

Martina if you're reading this, ignore them and focus on getting your 10 9's, your scholarship at Oxford and coming to Westminster School!!!! I accepted my offer too :biggrin:
Original post by NataliaLongford
Could you read her post again and tell me where she wasn't happen for the person in particular?

Both of these users need to leave this thread and I bet they're the same person

Martina if you're reading this, ignore them and focus on getting your 10 9's, your scholarship at Oxford and coming to Westminster School!!!! I accepted my offer too :biggrin:

....and who are you?? Can’t you handle differences of opinion?

Oh and we ain’t the same person. Nice try.
😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NataliaLongford

X

Thank you everyone for the support!
I think I'll start sharing revision materials and documents on my google drive with users on here, so PM me and I'll send you the link to which you can view/share as you wish.
I'm a natsci student at Cambridge and I think you should apply for a "pupil partnership" at Cambridge.
I really recommend it, it's great and if you're 15/16 years you'll probably stay at Trinity College and get to meet with the fellows. Honestly it would be the best thing for you to have on your CV as a school leaver.
I had a pupil last term who was in year 10 and I think she was interested in biology? So my dos assigned her to me and she just came to my lectures and then for the rest of the 3 days she was here she was doing the course with her peers :smile:

Keep up the revision!! I came here as an international student and I think I was aspiring just like you at 15 :wink:
Also - try not to respond to trolls on the Internet. Everyone can see that you have responded.

For everyone else on this thread who is very ambitious

Spoiler

Good luck w/ your gcse exams!
Original post by NanWangSci
I'm a natsci student at Cambridge and I think you should apply for a "pupil partnership" at Cambridge.
I really recommend it, it's great and if you're 15/16 years you'll probably stay at Trinity College and get to meet with the fellows. Honestly it would be the best thing for you to have on your CV as a school leaver.
I had a pupil last term who was in year 10 and I think she was interested in biology? So my dos assigned her to me and she just came to my lectures and then for the rest of the 3 days she was here she was doing the course with her peers :smile:

Keep up the revision!! I came here as an international student and I think I was aspiring just like you at 15 :wink:
Also - try not to respond to trolls on the Internet. Everyone can see that you have responded.

For everyone else on this thread who is very ambitious

Spoiler

Good luck w/ your gcse exams!

Do u know any1 who studies medicine at cambridge?? I want to do medicine at oxbridge
UPDATE 4TH JANUARY

Currently one of the worst days of my life.
My teacher for science shouted at my class for 20 minutes as we received our chemistry papers back.
The highest in our class (which is set 2) was 36/70.
The lowest in our class was 4/70.

The paper we sat was extremely new to us as a year group since it was the specimen set 2 papers that the school never made.
I just feel so confused and I didn't know what to do since the tests we had attempted at school made the subject seem SO EASY to get 60/70 marks.
I can't believe it, I got 26.

So how am I going to improve my chemistry grade?
Not quite sure yet, I'll update you.

As for today, I have given my teachers more time to write my references as they have year 12 exams to focus on.
My English teacher told me that I performed really well in R&J but I knew this already.
In German, I think I got a 6 in my speaking and I was so happy when my teacher suggested this. If I could find a way to get a 7...
RE was great and very philosophical we had a discussion lesson on the KOG and what the entry requirements are to enter.

My personal review of the day.

Spoiler

TODAY TO DO

Spoiler

My name is Martina
I'm a current state school student in London and I'd really like to get 10 9's in my GCSE's.

My goals are to get into a private sixth form and also go to either Harvard or Stanford at University.

I currently just sat my mocks but I'm really intrigued to see what I get!!

My Gcse Subjects and current predictions

Spoiler

My A-level choices

Spoiler

Good luck! Physics is the best :tongue: so good choice!

How confident are you feeling about getting 9s in the subjects you'd like to? Are there any you're really struggling with?

If there's anything I can help with just give me a shout :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending