porkyjoshy New car Thread

Watch
porkyjoshy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is your budget?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
Driving to work/school and in general

How many passenger will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
medium/small

Specific tasks you will be doing?
Driving friends to school

Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
Like ford vauxhall

What features in the car are important to you?
Some sort of aux plug or bluetooth or usb point- something like that

What gearbox do you want?
Manual

Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes

Special requirements?
Alloys? Not important but preferred

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seat Ibiza DAB Sport if you can still find those. Decent boot size, although aux wise you'll need something a bit newer probably like a later Fiesta. I wouldn't worry too much about the aux though; on a lot of older cars you can just simply buy a new radio with aux input lol.
Ammi6543
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
frReally anything around the size of a fiesta will be good for you. From personal experience I would recommend a Ford Fiesta, Citroen C3, or Toyota Yaris. Of these the Ford Fiesta is probably the "nicest", as in it has a nice interior, relatively fun to drive, decent level of equiptment etc. The Citroen and Toyota are oriented as softer more comfortable cars than the fiesta.

My personal recommendation would be the Citroen C3, I have one right now and for me its a good blend between a nice comfortable car, fun on the backroads (it can be a very fun car at lower speeds), and has been very reliable. Also the best looking in the class IMO. The Citroen will probably be the cheapest to insure (when I looked a couple years ago it got me the cheapest quotes in this car class) and you will likely get a newer/nicer model for your money as they tend to depreciate pretty steeply from new.

If you just want a car to get you from A to B inexpensively and without any hassle, the Toyota is most likely what you want as that thing is as close to bulletproof as cars get. The car and insurance may be a tad more expensive immediately, but in the long term you'll probably come out ahead.

Also you said you like Vauxhalls, however I personally would steer clear of the Corsa. I know a few people who have them (around 2007 - 2012 models) and most say they are fairly miserable to drive and from riding in them they are not very nice places to be in.

In regards to AUX / Bluetooth, most newer cars will have them but I suspect at your price range the age of cars your looking at may be a bit hit and miss. If you do plan on a car without this, you can factor another £50-100 for a cheap aftermarket radio that will add AUX.

For your price range you should be easily able to find a car in good condition that has no big drawbacks, but you may have to compromise on small things. Make sure to take someone more knowledgeable than you when you check a car out, as they will be more likely to be able to spot problems and flaws. Also you'll get much better bang for your buck buying private, dealerships and garages are money making companies at the end of the day.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Corsas for whatever reason also seem to have ridiculous insurance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise