The Student Room Group

Bearing question

I don't know how to work out the missing bearing of boat r from q (basically where I've put x) IMG_7051.JPG
The way you've labelled the diagram isn't right. If we call the North pointer just under the "Figure 2" legend point F, then if the bearing of boat Q from boat P is 327, that means that the reflex angle FPQ (clockwise) is 327. The acute angle FPQ is then 360 - 327 = 33. If the bearing of boat R from boat P is 41, that means that the acute angle FPR is 41.

From there, you're probably looking at the cosine and sine rules to proceed further.
Original post by 1233333344s222
I don't know how to work out the missing bearing of boat r from q (basically where I've put x)

Your diagram is incorrect. I've marked the correct known angles in red - attached. Make sure you understand why they are what they are. Your answer to part a) is corrrespondingly in error.

Can you complete it from there?

IMG_7051.JPG
Reply 3
Original post by 1233333344s222
I don't know how to work out the missing bearing of boat r from q (basically where I've put x) IMG_7051.JPG

Where do you get these papers?
Original post by Ramory
Where do you get these papers?

Are you looking for past papers?
Reply 5
Original post by thestudent33
Are you looking for past papers?

No... I am looking for the questions posted in this post.. From where are they?
a) I don't think p is 33, it's 33 41=74 because the question says r is 15km from boat p on a bearing of 041. then use cosine rules= 15^2 7^2-2(15)(7)(cos(74)). then square root that to get 14.7.

Quick Reply

Latest