Abiabiabiabi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to become a fashion designer. I took Art and Product design for GCSE (fashion or textiles was not available). I'm in Year 11 and i don't know what to do next...(i haven't applied anywhere yet) For A-level or are there other options?. I want to end up in London University of Fashion. What is the best way i can get there...what could i do next year or where can i go (for A-levels) I need just a heads up of what might come. Thanks
2childmum
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I assume you mean the London College of Fashion (part of the university of the arts)? Do you know what you would like to study there? They have a huge range of courses, but each one will tell you what their entry requirements are (e.g. this is for women's fashion - http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/course...gy-womenswear/ - if you scroll down it tells you what A-levels etc they will accept)

You could also contact them and ask them what they would advice you to do next. You will need a good portfolio, and also lots of people that go onto do art type degrees do a foundation year first.

What are your options? Does your school have a sixth form, and what can you study there, or does everyone go to college? What courses are there at colleges around you? We don't know what your options are so it's difficult to advise you.
Abiabiabiabi
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2childmum)
I assume you mean the London College of Fashion (part of the university of the arts)? Do you know what you would like to study there? They have a huge range of courses, but each one will tell you what their entry requirements are (e.g. this is for women's fashion - http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/course...gy-womenswear/ - if you scroll down it tells you what A-levels etc they will accept)

You could also contact them and ask them what they would advice you to do next. You will need a good portfolio, and also lots of people that go onto do art type degrees do a foundation year first.

What are your options? Does your school have a sixth form, and what can you study there, or does everyone go to college? What courses are there at colleges around you? We don't know what your options are so it's difficult to advise you.
Yes i meant the College. There is a sixth form which does Art and Product design. I want to do Fashion and Textile course (for A-Level) but my school doesn't do it son don't know what i can do go to a Fashion University or London College of Fashion. I am mainly worried about what i can do for A-level or LEVEL 3 courses etc especially because my school does not take fashion. Although i done some research and found out that Universities accept you if you have taken a creative subject and passes your A-levels, is doing a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Fashion and Textiles better?
2childmum
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you looked at the entry requirements for the college - the one I linked too states -

The standard minimum entry requirements for this course are:
  • Two A Level Passes at Grade C or above; preferred subjects include, Art, Design, English, Maths;
  • or a Pass Foundation Diploma in Art and Design;
  • or Merit, Pass, Pass at BTEC Extended Diploma in Art & Design;
  • or Pass at UAL Extended Diploma;
  • or an Access Diploma or ’64 tariff points from the Access to HE Diploma;
  • or 64 new UCAS tariff points (equivalent to 160 old UCAS tariff points) from a combination of the above qualifications or an equivalent full Level 3 qualification;
  • or equivalent EU or non-EU qualifications';
  • And three GCSE passes at grade A*-C.

So they seem to prefer Art and Design rather than Fashion and Textiles. They also need a portfolio, but it doesnt seem to say what it should contain!

I think your best course of action is -
1. Look through all the courses they offer and decide which you are most interested in
2. Contact the admissions people there, tell them what you want to do, what options for A-level/BTec you have near you, and ask them what they would advice would be best to take. You also need to ask them about the portfolio.

The College are going to be able to advise you far better than people on this forum
You could also look at other places which offer similar courses and see what their entrance requirements are
Abiabiabiabi
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2childmum)
Have you looked at the entry requirements for the college - the one I linked too states -

The standard minimum entry requirements for this course are:
  • Two A Level Passes at Grade C or above; preferred subjects include, Art, Design, English, Maths;
  • or a Pass Foundation Diploma in Art and Design;
  • or Merit, Pass, Pass at BTEC Extended Diploma in Art & Design;
  • or Pass at UAL Extended Diploma;
  • or an Access Diploma or ’64 tariff points from the Access to HE Diploma;
  • or 64 new UCAS tariff points (equivalent to 160 old UCAS tariff points) from a combination of the above qualifications or an equivalent full Level 3 qualification;
  • or equivalent EU or non-EU qualifications';
  • And three GCSE passes at grade A*-C.

So they seem to prefer Art and Design rather than Fashion and Textiles. They also need a portfolio, but it doesnt seem to say what it should contain!

I think your best course of action is -
1. Look through all the courses they offer and decide which you are most interested in
2. Contact the admissions people there, tell them what you want to do, what options for A-level/BTec you have near you, and ask them what they would advice would be best to take. You also need to ask them about the portfolio.

The College are going to be able to advise you far better than people on this forum
You could also look at other places which offer similar courses and see what their entrance requirements are
Oh Okay Thank you so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise