The Student Room Group

EPQ sources help

Hi! I'm currently doing my EPQ (on Shakespeare's portrayal of Richard III and how this compares to modern opinions) but I'm a bit stuck on sources. I'm worried I don't have a wide enough range of sources to achieve a high grade.
I have 6 recent books which I am using (written by historians), i have information from reliable websites and one magazine (History revealed), I am using a recorded university lecture and a powerpoint from a different university lecture, and I am using a number of historical/primary/near-contemporary sources (such as books, eye-witness accounts, poems, and letters) and I have also referenced a painting and an illustrated manuscript, both contemporary/near-contemporary.
Should I be trying to get different types of modern sources, like newspapers for example, or would these be enough?
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice! And if anyone has any general EPQ advice they would like to offer that would also be massively appreciated!
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Hi! I'm currently doing my EPQ (on Shakespeare's portrayal of Richard III and how this compares to modern opinions) but I'm a bit stuck on sources. I'm worried I don't have a wide enough range of sources to achieve a high grade.
I have 6 recent books which I am using (written by historians), i have information from reliable websites and one magazine (History revealed), I am using a recorded university lecture and a powerpoint from a different university lecture, and I am using a number of historical/primary/near-contemporary sources (such as books, eye-witness accounts, poems, and letters) and I have also referenced a painting and an illustrated manuscript, both contemporary/near-contemporary.
Should I be trying to get different types of modern sources, like newspapers for example, or would these be enough?
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice! And if anyone has any general EPQ advice they would like to offer that would also be massively appreciated!

You need to know what your plan is.

1. Understand how Shakespeare portrays him.
2. You should have a contemporary impression.
3. Historical impressions.

Then am a bit unsure what your angle is.

The Historical views will only be able to comment on Richard III as a historical figure. Very little of your books will relate to Shakespeare, although they may give you:
Background to the time.
Whether some of the reasons used to portray him had foundation.

If I was looking into it. Besides google and Amazon, then I would be going to my local uni library or local library and asking them. What you need is a search of the periodicals or English Shakespeare section to look at reviews of the play. People are bound to have written books on the portrayal of Richard or Shakespeare and the play. Once you find those articles and books its like a paper trail and you use the bibliography to id what the other articles are.

I think they key is Shakespeare view and why it was. The modern views should be less influential and used carefully.

You might also contrast it with how Shakespeare portrayed other characters? make sure your plan is focused an explores the areas you want it to. You need to ask the right questions, do the right research, show the issues and come up with some original views.
Original post by 999tigger
You need to know what your plan is.

1. Understand how Shakespeare portrays him.
2. You should have a contemporary impression.
3. Historical impressions.

Then am a bit unsure what your angle is.

The Historical views will only be able to comment on Richard III as a historical figure. Very little of your books will relate to Shakespeare, although they may give you:
Background to the time.
Whether some of the reasons used to portray him had foundation.

If I was looking into it. Besides google and Amazon, then I would be going to my local uni library or local library and asking them. What you need is a search of the periodicals or English Shakespeare section to look at reviews of the play. People are bound to have written books on the portrayal of Richard or Shakespeare and the play. Once you find those articles and books its like a paper trail and you use the bibliography to id what the other articles are.

I think they key is Shakespeare view and why it was. The modern views should be less influential and used carefully.

You might also contrast it with how Shakespeare portrayed other characters? make sure your plan is focused an explores the areas you want it to. You need to ask the right questions, do the right research, show the issues and come up with some original views.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes the majority of my epq is focussed on how and why Shakespeare portrayed Richard III the way he did, I am only briefly talking about modern historians views in the end to comment on the influence of Shakespeare and how his portrayal is still the most commonly accepted one.

The idea about comparing characters from his other play is a really good idea, thank you for suggesting it! I will see if I can incorporate that in!

And thank you for your book suggestions, I will have a look into those as they look as though they will be very helpful!
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes the majority of my epq is focussed on how and why Shakespeare portrayed Richard III the way he did, I am only briefly talking about modern historians views in the end to comment on the influence of Shakespeare and how his portrayal is still the most commonly accepted one.

The idea about comparing characters from his other play is a really good idea, thank you for suggesting it! I will see if I can incorporate that in!

And thank you for your book suggestions, I will have a look into those as they look as though they will be very helpful!

I think the man thrust is Shakespeare, thus you need a contemporary understanding.

You can explore differences at the time between reality and the play.
Values at the time.
Political aspects.

By comparing other characters you are exploring whether how he treated someone else and whether there were underlying messages.

You will also need to explore if some of his decisions were guided by convention or they were a dramatic tool an changed to suit his objectives as a playwright.

The last chapter in one of the book suggestions covers theatre at the time and after so get a look at that.

Keep asking questions and your plan will come together so it makes sense and asks the questions you want. Dont get bogged down with too much research. Your plan should direct you as to what questions you need answered.

Quick Reply

Latest