The Student Room Group

I've failed my driving test 4 times

I've never been a natural at driving- it requires a kind of spacial intelligence, calmness, logic and decision making which I'm not great at. But I did 20 hours of in car training in the past couple months, passed that with an insurance discount! Been practicing lots with my parents too. But I have taken FOUR road tests, three in a busy area I'm familiar with, with an instructor who was rude whenever I made little mistakes or had trouble parallel parking. She would tell me "you can't do this" which just made things so much worse and it was always after her discouraging words I would fail. The first time it was from turning too quickly and obstructing traffic because somebody stopped for me (I thought I had time but he chose to stop). Next time i was really anxious parallel parking and didn't complete one. The third time was a mess- I was so upset after knowing I had failed because I messed up right of way that I ran two stops. Fourth time I went somewhere else with a new instructor- he was very nice but I was unfamiliar with the area and I ended up failing because of accumulated points- which was very odd because my other tests I never got too many points. Every examiner and my old instructor has told me I can do it but I'm just ridiculously nervous and insecure.
Do I give up? I live outside the city and I can't transit to work. I want to change jobs but I can't be a server at bars late at night and expect my parents to pick me up.
I want to try a couple more times but I'm not sure if it's better to do the familiar, busy area I failed three times in (but with a new instructor), or go back out to that unfamiliar town where the speed is the same everywhere and there's very little traffic and a kind examiner, but he is picky about points and I can only take tests there on Fridays. I could also try another place entirely, but this all seems to be telling me I'm just a bad driver.
Also, how can I force my body to stay calm? I've tried changing my thinking and breathing but I need a pill or something that will calm me without making me fuzzy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't give up. For my 3rd instructor I moved to an entirely new test catchment area and had to learn different road types and test routes. I spent 5 months with him, it worked out excellent in the end. What you want is an instructor who's going to teach you how to drive, not pass your test.
Reply 3
My dad failed his 7 times 😂
Reply 4
I failed 3 tests myself. You're probably not a bad driver, just in a similar position to what I was in.

Find some way of dealing with your nerves. I passed just over a week ago, and found that talking to the examiner helped me massively.

On doing the new test, it seemed that I had everything going for me, such as the easiest reverse exercise (Pull up on right). It was a 2 hour long test due to my city being gridlocked, and my examiner even had to help me at one roundabout due to the sheer volume of traffic, and I still passed at the end. It was on a Friday Afternoon.

Pills are probably best avoided.

As another poster said though, you want to learn to drive, not just pass the test.

I'm confident you can get there in the end, but please don't give up.
yes give up

it's all a scam to steal your money

I have probably wasted 1000 pounds just for a driving license ..

with that money I could have bought ten cars

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending