The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme

I am currently applying for the Sutton Trust US Programme so that I can get an idea of what university is like in the US. I really want to get into the programme and I really want advice on how I can have a better chance of getting in. I have achieved 8 A*/A grades at GCSE including a 9 in maths and English literature.

I want advice from any people that have previously been on this programme on how to write the perfect application and I want to know about their experience on the one week residential.

Also I would like help on answering the 5 questions for the essays:
1. Tell us how and when you became interested in studying in the US, why you think undergraduate study in the US would be a good fit for you and if applicable, any steps you have taken to research undergraduate study in the US.

2. Out of the eight activities you described in the extracurricular activities section, please tell us more about the activity you feel had the most impact on others (your school, community, society, etc.) What motivated you to get involved in this activity? In what ways have you had an impact in other words, how specifically are others better off because of your participation?

3. Tell us about an aspect of your life that you feel is so fundamental to your identity that your application would be incomplete without it, and how this has shaped who you are today. This could be an event, experience or aspect of the world you come from (your family, school, background, culture or community).

4. Imagine you are 80 years old and you are looking back on your adult life. What contribution have you made to the world?

5. If you were a professor at an American university and the president of the university said you could create a course to teach for a semester, what would the title of your course be? (Use your imagination, it could be about anything!)
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by superboy123
I am currently applying for the Sutton Trust US Programme so that I can get an idea of what university is like in the US. I really want to get into the programme and I really want advice on how I can have a better chance of getting in. I have achieved 8 A*/A grades at GCSE including a 9 in maths and English literature.

I want advice from any people that have previously been on this programme on how to write the perfect application and I want to know about their experience on the one week residential.

1. Tell us how and when you became interested in studying in the US, why you think undergraduate study in the US would be a good fit for you and if applicable, any steps you have taken to research undergraduate study in the US.

2. Out of the eight activities you described in the extracurricular activities section, please tell us more about the activity you feel had the most impact on others (your school, community, society, etc.) What motivated you to get involved in this activity? In what ways have you had an impact in other words, how specifically are others better off because of your participation?

3. Tell us about an aspect of your life that you feel is so fundamental to your identity that your application would be incomplete without it, and how this has shaped who you are today. This could be an event, experience or aspect of the world you come from (your family, school, background, culture or community).

4. Imagine you are 80 years old and you are looking back on your adult life. What contribution have you made to the world?

5. If you were a professor at an American university and the president of the university said you could create a course to teach for a semester, what would the title of your course be? (Use your imagination, it could be about anything!)

I have moved this into International Study, you are more likely to get advice here.
Reply 2

Hey, I'm currently on the programme (cohort 6) and was admitted to a US university just last week! I can't stress enough how incredible the Sutton Trust is - they provide tuition for standardised tests, food, free trip to America, an overnight stay in a hotel the night before standardised tests, friends for life - I could go on!

In terms of my experience on the April residential I was quite nervous because I didn't know anyone. However, the minute you get there you are placed in a group of usually around 10 people (of the same gender as you) who you get to know really well. You end up doing plenty of ice-breakers so the programme and the other people get to know you. The residential basically provides you with extra info about the US university life and application process for you to decide if it's definitely for you. The programmes gives you plenty of free food and drink and you stay in LSE accommodation. If you want more specifics about the first residential just let me know.

As for a "perfect" application my biggest advice would be try to be yourself. I know that sounds really cliche but the reason the application is so long is because they want to know what you're like and what your into. Most of my application focused on the fact that I was interested in a little bit of everything and needed more time to explore different subjects and that's why I wanted to do the whole US liberal arts thing. For demonstrating interest in the US, maybe think of starting up a quick blog on tumblr, did you go to USA College Day, have you already started researching universities other than the Ivy League etc.

For Q2, brainstorm all the activities you do (maybe think of starting some new ones in case you do end up applying to the US). Then, pick the one you can talk the most about. Maybe you're into music, volunteering, maths - it doesn't matter - as long as you have a small story that you can expand on and talk about what you learnt/achieved go for it!

For questions 3, don't be afraid of being personal. A lot of people share unique anecdotes/stories about their lives - even if it doesn't seem unique to you it can help them get to know you. It can be something recent or something that happened when you were younger. Remember there's no right answer, just try and write passionately. Try making a list of things/stories/problems (big or small) and go from there.

It won't hurt you if you try to have something in your video/essay that stands out (I used a very elaborate cactus metaphor in my video!) but it's not the most important thing. For example, on the last question about the course I overthought mine waayy to much - they showed us some submitted ones at the residential and they were all really funny, whereas I thought the whole thing had to be serious. The same goes for Q4 don't think to much about it. Mine was really cheesy about wanting to make an impact on both my local and global community - everyone probs says the same kinda thing.

For any of the questions you can try asking you're friends because they might remember something about you that you haven't thought of yet.

Anyway, I'm aware that this has become a bit of an essay now (sorry!) but if you want anymore advice just let me know. The programme has literally changed my life - I'll be heading to America next year, graduating debt free and getting a scholarship worth over $70,000 a year - so I'd love to help any potential Sutton Trusters out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WebbyIB2
Hey, I'm currently on the programme (cohort 6) and was admitted to a US university just last week! I can't stress enough how incredible the Sutton Trust is - they provide tuition for standardised tests, food, free trip to America, an overnight stay in a hotel the night before standardised tests, friends for life - I could go on!

In terms of my experience on the April residential I was quite nervous because I didn't know anyone. However, the minute you get there you are placed in a group of usually around 10 people (of the same gender as you) who you get to know really well. You end up doing plenty of ice-breakers so the programme and the other people get to know you. The residential basically provides you with extra info about the US university life and application process for you to decide if it's definitely for you. The programmes gives you plenty of free food and drink and you stay in LSE accommodation. If you want more specifics about the first residential just let me know.

As for a "perfect" application my biggest advice would be try to be yourself. I know that sounds really cliche but the reason the application is so long is because they want to know what you're like and what your into. Most of my application focused on the fact that I was interested in a little bit of everything and needed more time to explore different subjects and that's why I wanted to do the whole US liberal arts thing. For demonstrating interest in the US, maybe think of starting up a quick blog on tumblr, did you go to USA College Day, have you already started researching universities other than the Ivy League etc.

For Q2, brainstorm all the activities you do (maybe think of starting some new ones in case you do end up applying to the US). Then, pick the one you can talk the most about. Maybe you're into music, volunteering, maths - it doesn't matter - as long as you have a small story that you can expand on and talk about what you learnt/achieved go for it!

For questions 3, don't be afraid of being personal. A lot of people share unique anecdotes/stories about their lives - even if it doesn't seem unique to you it can help them get to know you. It can be something recent or something that happened when you were younger. Remember there's no right answer, just try and write passionately. Try making a list of things/stories/problems (big or small) and go from there.

It won't hurt you if you try to have something in your video/essay that stands out (I used a very elaborate cactus metaphor in my video!) but it's not the most important thing. For example, on the last question about the course I overthought mine waayy to much - they showed us some submitted ones at the residential and they were all really funny, whereas I thought the whole thing had to be serious. The same goes for Q4 don't think to much about it. Mine was really cheesy about wanting to make an impact on both my local and global community - everyone probs says the same kinda thing.

For any of the questions you can try asking you're friends because they might remember something about you that you haven't thought of yet.

Anyway, I'm aware that this has become a bit of an essay now (sorry!) but if you want anymore advice just let me know. The programme has literally changed my life - I'll be heading to America next year, graduating debt free and getting a scholarship worth over $70,000 a year - so I'd love to help any potential Sutton Trusters out.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your help and I really hope I get in
Original post by superboy123)Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your help and I really hope I get in
hi did u get it? Als does anyone have any advice im applying this year hopefully i can get in. Also does it matter when you had it in because im currently having my prelim exams and barley have to right the essays and i have time this friday but thats 2 days before the deadline do u think i should finish it today or just do it friday?
Reply 5
Original post by guesswho34
Original post by superboy123)Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your help and I really hope I get in
hi did u get it? Als does anyone have any advice im applying this year hopefully i can get in. Also does it matter when you had it in because im currently having my prelim exams and barley have to right the essays and i have time this friday but thats 2 days before the deadline do u think i should finish it today or just do it friday?

Hi there, yes I did get onto the programme!!! And it was the best experience of my life. You meet the most amazing people mandated you get so much support with the actual process of applying to the us. I’d say start writing the essays as soon as possible!! Masks sure you spend time on them as they are very important! I can’t stress enough the importance off these as you will be up against over a 1000 students from around the UK. Just be yourself in the application and don’t think about what the programmes wants you to be. Just give it a shot and see what happens. I was in a similar situation last year and wasn’t sure about applying but I’m glad I did as it was an experience I can never forget. You never know what might happen so just go for it.
Reply 6
Hi there, yes I did get onto the programme!!! And it was the best experience of my life. You meet the most amazing people mandated you get so much support with the actual process of applying to the us. I’d say start writing the essays as soon as possible!! Masks sure you spend time on them as they are very important! I can’t stress enough the importance off these as you will be up against over a 1000 students from around the UK. Just be yourself in the application and don’t think about what the programmes wants you to be. Just give it a shot and see what happens. I was in a similar situation last year and wasn’t sure about applying but I’m glad I did as it was an experience I can never forget. You never know what might happen so just go for it.

Mandated was a mistake it should be and*
Hi I applied but I doubt I will get accepted because my grades are not very good and I don’t do that many extra curricular activities. My essays were ok I was just myself do sob stories work coz I kinda begged them to let me in lol. And did everyone u met there have all amazing grades ect?
Reply 8
Original post by guesswho34
Hi I applied but I doubt I will get accepted because my grades are not very good and I don’t do that many extra curricular activities. My essays were ok I was just myself do sob stories work coz I kinda begged them to let me in lol. And did everyone u met there have all amazing grades ect?

They will still consider you if you were close to the entry requirements but make sure your essays and extracurriculars are strong.
and remember never doubt yourself
I’ve tried my best but I’m not sure how it will go tysm for ur support if I get in I’ll let u know x
hi, I got 4 A's at GCSE in year 11 however my overalls were affected to the point where I only had 1 A in English by the end of it.
I have fairly strong extracurricular and am very sporting too my essays were good and so was my video I'm from a low-income family and come from a fairly bad school (20% pass rate last year)(year above me) however I am not a first generation uni student and I'm worried it was all a waste of time because they will look at my 1 A and laugh at the fact I even signed up and it makes me feel very educationally inferior, you say holistic but I'm sure my grades will immediately throw them.
I want to do this really bad and I would be devastated if because of my YEAR 10 RESULTS I can't go on the trip of a lifetime and do something I truly am passionate about.
Original post by adammohsin
hi, I got 4 A's at GCSE in year 11 however my overalls were affected to the point where I only had 1 A in English by the end of it.
I have fairly strong extracurricular and am very sporting too my essays were good and so was my video I'm from a low-income family and come from a fairly bad school (20% pass rate last year)(year above me) however I am not a first generation uni student and I'm worried it was all a waste of time because they will look at my 1 A and laugh at the fact I even signed up and it makes me feel very educationally inferior, you say holistic but I'm sure my grades will immediately throw them.
I want to do this really bad and I would be devastated if because of my YEAR 10 RESULTS I can't go on the trip of a lifetime and do something I truly am passionate about.

Did you get accepted?
Hi , I know it’s been a while now since this was posted but thank you for all the valuable information on here ! I was just wondering how the Sutton trust helped you find the schlorships ?
Original post by lilypod244
Hi , I know it’s been a while now since this was posted but thank you for all the valuable information on here ! I was just wondering how the Sutton trust helped you find the schlorships ?

I am currently on the programme and my advice is: apply. Taking part in the 1st half of the programme does not automatically mean you will apply for US colleges so you learn a lot about financial aid (inc. scholarships) in this first half. Not everyone in the cohort applies for merit scholarships. Scholarships require applications and simply put, the programme will help you put these together and prep for the interviews. If you have a specific school you're in love with and think you will be "competitive" enough to apply for a scholarship there (research the eligibility requirements of the scholarship) definitely apply for the programme and explore this alongside the other universities you will discover! Hope this helps x
Thank you sm , but you would you say that a vast majority apply for the merit scholarships and actually get accepted. Thanks for the help xx
Thank you sm , but you would you say that a vast majority apply for the merit scholarships and actually get accepted. Thanks for the help xx

People have just submitted their applications for them, so I am not too sure, we are all still waiting on decisions. Generally speaking though, with the help from the programme it is more likely you could get accepted however it is down to you because at the end of the day you need to write a good application. The programme cannot guarantee acceptance for merit scholarships. I hope you understand this xx

so i understand this is 3 years old and i probably should start a new thread for 2022 people but I'd just really like to get to know you a bit more: you got into american university how is that all working out for you over the last 3 years?? these few years surely woulda been the most momentous for you and honestly if my application works out and I could get to do that idek how happy ill be.

I was on the programme a few years ago, and from what I understood (at least in my year), only a relatively small proportion actually applied to the major merit-scholarships that required a separate application. Of those, I know we had some semifinalists, and that a student got the Stamps Scholarship at Georgia Tech. I'm unsure about the Morehead-Cain at UNC but I think somebody may have been awarded this too (if not, there was definitely somebody the year before who did).

People on the programme definitely get these scholarships and are in a great position to apply. However, most people on the programme will just be applying for need-based aid, and any merit-based awards they receive will be ones you are automatically considered for upon applying to the university.

Hope this helps!

which university did you end up at?

Hi what university do you go to?
I'm so proud of your achievements WELL DONEE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending