Car crash video as Trump judicial nominee destroyed

Watch this thread
AlexanderHam
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This video is just embarrassing. Part of a US president's job is to nominate people to serve as judges in the US federal court system (at the district court level, Court of Appeal level and Supreme Court level). The cases that come before the federal courts are often quite important ones, dealing with complex issues, and as it is a life appointment it is typically experienced trial lawyers or state judges who get the nod. Although it is almost always subject to an immediate appeal to the federal courts of appeal, US district judges can actually declare statutes unconstitutional and void, which is a huge amount of power to have.

As with everything Trump has done, he botched this too. He already had to withdraw to previous nominees because they were completely unqualified (one used to be a 'ghost hunter', the other called trans people "children of Satan"), and it looks like it's about to be a third; this guy has almost no relevant experience to being a judge. Never represented anyone in a trial, never argued a motion in state or federal court, is almost completely unfamiliar with the US federal rules of procedure and rules of evidence.

The ridiculous thing is, I have more trial experience than this guy and I don't even have my practicing certificate yet, I'm basically still a law student until next year (four preliminary hearings, two trials and two remedy hearings, as a lay rep in the Employment Tribunal).

Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Trump has obviously not learned from the Democrats mistake. Just as they chose the wrong candidate and it cost them the election so did he.
Got what he deserves.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What do you expect from a moron?
username3674016
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
That was eye-wateringly painful to watch/listen to.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I answered more questions than he did and I am neither American nor have any legal knowledge other than stuff picked up on CSI/Suits/etc...
username1221160
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It is just beautiful watching the way the guy toys with Peterson.

I expect the usual screams of fake news from Trump apologists as they try to explain away Trump's poor decision making.
Maker
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I expect the next nominee to be a monkey but that might make the other nominees look bad.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
(Original post by RogerOxon)
What do you expect from a moron?
What is scary is that Trump is nominating guys in their 30s to federal judgeships. Given these are lifetime appointments with no mandatory retirement age, which means these guys could still be there 50 years from now.

Trump has been open about this, saying it's designed to ensure conservatives end up dominating the bench. The only way democrats can compete with that is to nominate their own younger nominees, which means the overall quality of the federal bench declines.

As with so many other things, the Republicans demonstrate little regard for the wellbeing of the republic, and are purely interested in achieving partisan dominance at any cost.
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
checks and balances ! Mr Kennedy shredded the dude without raising his voice or being impolite. A masterclass in protecting democracy.
ericcarlson1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Trump needs to go but the problem is the next in line to the throne is Mike Pence.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
(Original post by ericcarlson1)
Trump needs to go but the problem is the next in line to the throne is Mike Pence.
I don't see that as much of a problem. Pence is a conventional conservative. I disagree with his politics, but I do not view him as being a danger to the republic
ericcarlson1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
I don't see that as much of a problem. Pence is a conventional conservative. I disagree with his politics, but I do not view him as being a danger to the republic
He supports gay conversion therapy and doesn't believe in evolution. He's just as bad as Trump, the only difference is Trump is dumb and this guy is smart. But he is a danger to the LGBT community (I'd say more so than Trump), he's a danger to the non-Christian community and he's a danger to women's rights. I'd be happy with someone like Marco Rubio or Lindsey Graham taking control, but anyone to the right of them is far-right as far as I'm concerned. Look at what Pence has done throughout his time in elected office.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
(Original post by ericcarlson1)
But he is a danger to the LGBT community
How? He doesn't have the power to do anything to the LGBT community. Gay marriage is a constitutional right. DADT repeal is statutory in nature.

As a gay person myself, I'd say there's something vaguely pathetic about people freaking out over Pence's views and implicitly defending Trump, while Trump actively betrays the country to a foreign power and engages in obstruction of justice and Nixonian-level misconduct.

There's something quite insular and parochial for people to ignore the overall interests of the republic in favour of their narrow, sectional interests.

Trump is a greater danger by far. Pence has little power to ruin gay people's lives. Trump does have the power to profoundly injure American democracy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads