The Student Room Group

I need major life advice!!

Okay so I’m currently a healthcare assistant, I want to move into theatres so starting next month I’m doing an access to nursing course. Then I want to go to uni in September to do an odp course. What’s everyone’s opinions on going to uni far from home? I have had the year from hell, a breakup with my boyfriend of 2 years, a complete meltdown and then my dad died in August. I barely have any friends, since my dad died I’ve not been as close with my family, works okay but I don’t feel part of the team. I don’t know I just feel like this part of me is over, that I need to get away and start fresh. I want a good education, I want to find friends, I want to go on adventures and go to new places, I want the job I love, I even want to be able to find love again. But it’s so scary!! Like am I actually ready to leave everything I know for a new start? I just know that I’m not happy here where I am, I keep trying to fix it but I guess you can’t always fix what’s broken 🤔
Original post by Courtsxoi
Okay so I’m currently a healthcare assistant, I want to move into theatres so starting next month I’m doing an access to nursing course. [ It's is very good you have organised this. I assume you know what you need about Access courses, funding etc plus what you need to get onto an ODP course?] Then I want to go to uni in September to do an odp course. [It is important to understand the target you need to reach to get onto your chosen course. the lower end examples is
an Access to HE Diploma for a QAA recognised Access to HE course in health studies, health science, nursing or another science- based course. Normally we require 15 credits at Level 2 and 45 at level 3 of which at least 15 credits should be graded at distinction level.Maths and English GCSE as well]
[ It's is very good you have organised this. I assume you know what you need about Access courses, funding etc plus what you need to get onto an ODP course?]
What’s everyone’s opinions on going to uni far from home?
[It works for some and others get homesick. It's a great opportunity for a fresh start and becoming independent if you pick the right course and uni.]
I have had the year from hell, a breakup with my boyfriend of 2 years, a complete meltdown and then my dad died in August. I barely have any friends, since my dad died I’ve not been as close with my family, works okay but I don’t feel part of the team. [sounds like you have had quite a time and its great you have plans for a different an brighter future. Sorry about your dad, but do it for him and make a success of it] use it I don’t know I just feel like this part of me is over, that I need to get away and start fresh. I want a good education, I want to find friends, I want to go on adventures and go to new places, I want the job I love, I even want to be able to find love again. But it’s so scary!! Like am I actually ready to leave everything I know for a new start? I just know that I’m not happy here where I am, I keep trying to fix it but I guess you can’t always fix what’s broken 🤔[ You seem to be on the right track. Its important you plan and organise yourself so you know exactly what you need to do and then work hard to achieve the grades you need. You can also start learning of changes you will need to make to maximise your chances of success. You have made a good start. Good luck.]

Hey Courts you seem to have been through the wars lately, but you have done a great job organising yourself I have responded to your post with a few answers.
I want a good education, I want to find friends, I want to go on adventures and go to new places, I want the job I love, I even want to be able to find love again.

90% of the battle is done. You know what you want. So go and get it. It won't land on your lap otherwise. Don't be scared. What have you got to lose?

Good luck!
Okay so I’m currently a healthcare assistant, I want to move into theatres so starting next month I’m doing an access to nursing course. Then I want to go to uni in September to do an odp course. What’s everyone’s opinions on going to uni far from home? I have had the year from hell, a breakup with my boyfriend of 2 years, a complete meltdown and then my dad died in August. I barely have any friends, since my dad died I’ve not been as close with my family, works okay but I don’t feel part of the team. I don’t know I just feel like this part of me is over, that I need to get away and start fresh. I want a good education, I want to find friends, I want to go on adventures and go to new places, I want the job I love, I even want to be able to find love again. But it’s so scary!! Like am I actually ready to leave everything I know for a new start? I just know that I’m not happy here where I am, I keep trying to fix it but I guess you can’t always fix what’s broken 🤔

Your making some good choices, but let your experience in theatres as a TSW help you decide if working as an ODP is the right decision, as it is a very demanding career choice.

Moving away to study for the course is good because you become independent and learn important life skills, so embrace the changes and let it shape you.

When I went to study the ODP course I met a diverse group of people who were at different stages of life but we all had a similar goal to pass the course and begin a career in a rewarding field. You will make loads of friends on the course and on placement, as you know 60-70% of your time will be spent on placement, so don't worry you will fit in.

I am happy to help if you need more advice or information about the ODP profession.

Quick Reply