The Student Room Group

Any one else sick of fat acceptance?

Walking around the block and having an apple for a snack instead of Taco-bell is not hard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/13/paris-holds-anti-sizeism-day-fashion-show-woman-writes-book/
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Doesnt affect me so I dont care
Original post by SuperHuman98
Doesnt affect me so I dont care

O it effects health insurance costs, and air quality in the work place.
Not really. Its good for people to be healthier, but that doesnt give anyone the right to bully or insult people who need to lose weight.

Maybe you can organise a march?
(edited 6 years ago)
Why does it matter if someone’s fat? Bit judgemental
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Why does it matter if someone’s fat? Bit judgemental

Because being obese and proud is like being illiterate, and being proud. I can't say either one is very classy.

And not to make a joke, but I have a friend that let himself go to the point he gets winded from a walk.
Original post by Rottenapple12
Because being obese and proud is like being illiterate, and being proud. I can't say either one is very classy.

And not to make a joke, but I have a friend that let himself go to the point he gets winded from a walk.

Are you proud of the hatred you are bringing to the world. Of your negativity? I have seen negativity and hate destroy communities, workplaces and even whole countries. I have not seen obese people do the same. You are causing more harm than those you are venting your hatred at.

Here is my tip to you.

If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing. The world will be no worse off for your silence.
Original post by ByEeek
Are you proud of the hatred you are bringing to the world. Of your negativity? I have seen negativity and hate destroy communities, workplaces and even whole countries. I have not seen obese people do the same. You are causing more harm than those you are venting your hatred at.

Here is my tip to you.

If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing. The world will be no worse off for your silence.

Hate is a valid emotion too, i'm sure you hate stuff too Ned flanders.
Hate is a valid emotion too, i'm sure you hate stuff too Ned flanders.

Hate is a combination of the raw emotions of jealousy and anger. My thought is that those who seek to demonise fat people do so because fat people are getting more attention. It is a very childish reaction. For example, just this morning my youngest son (4) decided to bounce on the sofa (not allowed) because I was playing draughts with my older son. It was his negative way of attention seeking. In doing so, he got my attention - all be it in a very negative way.

Similarly here. Fat person gets in the news because they have fallen on hard times as a result of discrimination. Thin person doesn't like this attention so seeks to demonise and belittle fat person. Attention swings to thin person, all be it in a very negative light. Thin person gets attention. Job done.

Such demonising says more about the thin person's lack of self confidence that it does of the fat person.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
It’s the fact where if only you had phrased this better maybe people wouldn’t be grilling you. But tbh if people are overweight or obese and they choose to do nothing about it, it’s their life it’s none of your business. And don’t even start giving me some crap speech about the NHS coz the NHS is already a mess and it’s not down to obese and overweight people it’s coz of the lack of funding.
I agree. It's not about bullying fat people, I'm against that as much as the next man. But fat acceptance is about the obese people being proud of their weight. They encourage others to stop dieting because being obese isn't bad. But it is! Some people don't know this because they haven't got symptoms yet and they don't care because of these acceptance movements. Being obese is bad for your health and for other peoples wallets.

The thing I dislike most about the fat acceptance is that some of them treat being fat like a race. They feel discriminated. You should look up some of their videos on yt it's embarrassing.

The most striking example of this is them getting angry for having to pay for two seats on an airplane, or not being allowed on the plane because they can't fit in a single chair. Would you like to sit, or try to sit next to such a person?

TL;DR
Bullying is wrong but accepting this unhealthy state of your body is worse!

This. These fat women, specifically, who insist that "curvy is beautiful" and people who don't find that attractive are judgmental and awful people, peck at my head. Just... no love, you're unhealthy, face facts and sort your ****ing life out.
There is a difference between fat acceptance and fat promotion. You’re talking as though obesity is being promoted- which it isn’t.

Nobody is saying obesity is healthy; it’s not about health. It’s about accepting yourself the way you are ‘right now’ and having confidence. I agree that obesity is not healthy, but demeaning people isn’t productive.
Original post by SKintu
they choose to do nothing about it, it’s their life

Where as I agree with the sentiment of your post as a whole, this phrase really winds me up. Having watched my wife spend three years of her life desperately trying to loose a mere 1 stone of weight post having kids, I can tell you for free that losing weight is not easy, especially for women. And she was really really strict, went to all manner of clubs and help groups, did loads of exercise and it still took her three years. She has never been fat. She just wanted to lose one stone in weight. Being fat is not necessarily a lifestyle choice. If it was such an easy choice to make (as people like you seem to think), why are so many people fat?
Original post by KittyAnneR
There is a difference between fat acceptance and fat promotion. You’re talking as though obesity is being promoted- which it isn’t.

Nobody is saying obesity is healthy; it’s not about health. It’s about accepting yourself the way you are ‘right now’ and having confidence. I agree that obesity is not healthy, but demeaning people isn’t productive.

It is being promoted! Especially in the US. You should look up fat acceptance on youtube. One time I watched a woman give a speech in which she said there's no need to change and that she's happy with the way she is. She also litterally said that she doesn't have a health condition. And while listening to what she said I heard her getting out of breath from just standing and talking. At the end she had to pause to catch her breath every now and then.

My problem is indeed in the promoting part. Young people listen to persons like this woman and think it's okay to be fat, not realizing they will have all sorts of problems once they reach the age of 40.

There's nothing wrong with being a little curvy, but being obese is not okay. It's a disease.
I'm against fat bullying, but fat acceptance is just as bad. It's unhealthy, and they need to change. That's not mean or horrible, that's just the truth. People shouldn't be made to feel bad about themselves, but they shouldn't be told "it's OK to be fat" because long-term it isn't.

At the very least, obese people should be made to realise that obesity is a package deal and includes all the negatives (e.g. having to pay for two seats on an airplane).
Why should a person be showered with special treatment for being lazy and eating unhealthy?Also,not to mention the thousands of disease(some of which can cause instant death) that come with obesity.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I'm against fat bullying, but fat acceptance is just as bad. It's unhealthy, and they need to change.

So other than going on a diet, doing more exercise, joining groups like Slimming World et al, just exactly what do all the obese people of this world desperately trying to lose weight do?

I take it you are a man, so for you, like me, all you have to do is reduce the amount you eat to lose weight and it just piles off. For most women, that just doesn't work. My wife took three years of careful dieting, weighting and planning every meal, doing tonnes of exercise to lose a mere stone. Losing weight is not like flicking a switch. It is not a lifestyle choice.
Original post by ByEeek
So other than going on a diet, doing more exercise, joining groups like Slimming World et al, just exactly what do all the obese people of this world desperately trying to lose weight do?

I take it you are a man, so for you, like me, all you have to do is reduce the amount you eat to lose weight and it just piles off. For most women, that just doesn't work. My wife took three years of careful dieting, weighting and planning every meal, doing tonnes of exercise to lose a mere stone. Losing weight is not like flicking a switch. It is not a lifestyle choice.

Yes, different people have different metabolisms, but it shouldn't be impossible unless your wife was already a healthy weight in the first place.

I'm not complaining about slightly overweight people (or indeed obese people who know what they're doing and accept any consequences). I'm mostly complaining about obese people who claim that they're being "mistreated" by being told they're unhealthy.
Original post by ByEeek

Here is my tip to you.

Your use of the term "negative' in a hateful way, proves to me you haven't got a clue as to how judge, correctly, negative and positive.
You have not seen negativity destroy anything it's the lack of understanding of what uses negativity has that destroys.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll stop there.

I'm in full agreement with the OP.

PS and that "if you don't have anything nice to say" is a load of nonsense. If you don't have anything truthful to say... is a far better maxim.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest