Turn on thread page Beta

Have anyone got amazing results even after failing mocks? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just my mocks back they weren't great but I managed to pass everything. Has anyone got amazing results even after doing bad in mocks? Also explain how you did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleena1234)
    I just my mocks back they weren't great but I managed to pass everything. Has anyone got amazing results even after doing bad in mocks? Also explain how you did that.
    For my A Levels last year, my mock results were BCD. I ended up getting A*A*B (the B was the subject I had previously got a D). I worked so hard to make it better. I used the teachers as much as possible by writing essays and giving it to them to mark each week. I tried lots of revision methods until I found the ones for me (it was different for each subject so play around with techniques) and I did around 8 hours a day of revision in the weeks leading up to the exam. It payed off and I’m now at university.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes, gcse computing I never passed in a mock, got an A in the actual thing. Also not a fail but at a-level I got a low D in the business mock less than a month before, came out with a B in the subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greghayes)
    For my A Levels last year, my mock results were BCD. I ended up getting A*A*B (the B was the subject I had previously got a D). I worked so hard to make it better. I used the teachers as much as possible by writing essays and giving it to them to mark each week. I tried lots of revision methods until I found the ones for me (it was different for each subject so play around with techniques) and I did around 8 hours a day of revision in the weeks leading up to the exam. It payed off and I’m now at university.
    Well done what subjects did you do? You are such an aspirations

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting bad results in your mocks your first priority is to work out what went wrong. Did you make silly mistakes? Did you phrase something incorrectly? Was it that you didn't understand? Did you not know your facts?

Page by page, go through the revision guide and consolidate each idea/concept with the textbook and your own notes. Make sure you understand every idea and fill in gaps in your knowledge. On each page, you want to do this:

1) UNDERSTAND. Make sure you could explain each concept to a five-year-old, you understand it so well.
    2) MEMORISE. Add facts and definitions to your knowledge. This bit is difficult but you can use flashcards, mind maps, etc.
    3) APPLY. Do practice questions on the topic, and get your exam technique down.

Hope this helps! X

ReputationRep:
    Well done what subjects did you do?
    You are such an aspirations
    Aw thank you! I did Law (ended up with 100%), Psychology (A*) and I took AS and A2 politics in a year so I did twice the work in the same time as everyone else and was very proud to get a B. What are you studying? Also, I agree with CuriouslyDaisy. Work out where you went wrong and focus on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    Yes, gcse computing I never passed in a mock, got an A in the actual thing. Also not a fail but at a-level I got a low D in the business mock less than a month before, came out with a B in the subject
    Wow

ReputationRep:
    Aw thank you! I did Law (ended up with 100%), Psychology (A*) and I took AS and A2 politics in a year so I did twice the work in the same time as everyone else and was very proud to get a B. What are you studying? Also, I agree with CuriouslyDaisy. Work out where you went wrong and focus on that.
    I am doing GCSEs so I have many subject but I wish to take Science further for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuriouslyDaisy)
    If you're getting bad results in your mocks your first priority is to work out what went wrong. Did you make silly mistakes? Did you phrase something incorrectly? Was it that you didn't understand? Did you not know your facts?

Page by page, go through the revision guide and consolidate each idea/concept with the textbook and your own notes. Make sure you understand every idea and fill in gaps in your knowledge. On each page, you want to do this:

1) UNDERSTAND. Make sure you could explain each concept to a five-year-old, you understand it so well.
    2) MEMORISE. Add facts and definitions to your knowledge. This bit is difficult but you can use flashcards, mind maps, etc.
    3) APPLY. Do practice questions on the topic, and get your exam technique down.

Hope this helps! X
    We are not aloud to see our paper but I will ask my teachers to find out where I went wrong but thanks for the advise.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing GCSEs so I have many subject but I wish to take Science further for A levels.
    It’s good that you know what kind of A Levels you want to take. I’ll be honest and warn you that science A Levels are not easy so get your study mindset right now and it’ll carry on through college (hopefully). Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    In my (year 11) gcses I got 1A*, 1A, 5Bs, 3Cs and a D, ended up getting 2A*s, 8As and 1B (1 mark off an A) in the actual exams. Basically I didn't revise at all during this Christmas period year 11, and worked as hard as I could over Easter doing past papers. I honestly regret not using this time in year 11 to prepare as I still think I could've done better, so basically start preparing as soon as possible and use past papers a lot.

Spoiler:
    Show

The one I got D in went up to an A so definitely possible

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE computing I used to get D/E in every single mock. I think it was because I never revised , I revised 2 days before my exam and got an A overall (A in the exam ). I had made notes and did a few past papers. GCSE’s you can go from E’s to A’s in little revision. However alevels require months of revision to even just get a C.

ReputationRep:
    It’s good that you know what kind of A Levels you want to take. I’ll be honest and warn you that science A Levels are not easy so get your study mindset right now and it’ll carry on through college (hopefully). Best of luck!
    I know I have to work hard now so it is possible for me to get good A levels. Thanks SO MUCH.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I got a D in my year 12 chemistry mock then an A at AS a friend of mine went from a U to a B in maths as well.

ReputationRep:
    Got a U in both AS and A2 History and English mocks, ended up with A* in English and A in History. Mocks aren't much of an indicator of ability so much as a measure of how much you need to work
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I didn't do badly in mocks overall (I probably revised more for mocks than for actual GCSEs :lol:), but my lowest grade was in a subject (Latin) which I eventually got full UMS in and now take for A-level. A lot can happen between mocks and the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    Last year when I was doing AS for my biology mocks I got a D in the depth paper and an E in the breadth paper. I came out with a B in the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    Use your mocks as a motivation to help you.

In my final y11 mocks, I got 4 a*s, 3 a's 3'bs.
    Ended up getting 10A*s, 1B (english language ), in the actual one. (We didn't have a further maths mock, and that was my eleventh subject).

Ofcourse, I believe that God helped me, but i also believe that he'll only help if you start helping yourself

Talking about failures, I started learning spanish in Y9 november with absolutely no knowledge of the language whatsoever as I came from India (i joined my school in november of y9). I chose it as one of my options telling myself and my parents that id get an a star in it at the end. I was at the bottom set at y9 and y10. For my first y10 exam, I got an E. I was devastated. I worked as hard as i could, and finally at the start of y11, i achieved my goal of getting moved into top set. From there, I worked even harder but still not good enough. My final y11 mocks for spanish i got a B and a C - averages out to a B. From there was the toughest part of y11, i worked hard night and day. Memrise (spanish learning app) was what i used to do on the way to school and back as i travelled by bus. The journey was 3 hours in total there and back each day. I had soooooo much less time to revise peacefully than my friends. But i didnt make excuses and carried on.

Same story for maths - never got higher than a 6 in mocks, got an 8 in real exams and 12 marks off a 9.

Ended up beating those who'd been learning spanish for 5-7 years, and i came second rank overall in school losing only by one grade. He got 10 A*s and 1 A, i got 10A*s and 1 B.

Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to achieving it.

Good luck, and remember, WORK HARD! (it pays off in the end)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't care about my mock exams during year 11 (I'm in yr13 atm). In my sciences I wouldn't get above a C in my mocks, my English literature and language grades dipped massively at the start of yr11 to a D, my Religious Education was a joke and I failed my spanish mocks every time. Also I took my maths early in January and i was still on a B at best in November of year 11 with an A* grade expected from me soo. I made my notes for science and history before my exams started yet I was only prepared for my history exam bc that was my first exam. All the others i revised for the night, maybe two nights, before- don't do this lol. But I got 7A* and 3As and this is why:

I have a good memory but I couldn't rely on that bc some of my friends who have a bad memory did the same or better than me. For science I had flash cards and history i had an A4 notepad with all my notes and mindmaps etc. So for English, the night before i just made some mindmaps on characters motifs and themes- i made sure to add context and colour so that i could visualise it more. I talked to myself a lott during my exam period, and i just discussed stuff with anything that would listen. So my advice is- do not stress- exams are important but they are not everything, have notes made and go into your exam period with a 'vision' in mind and a positive attitude. I hope this helps idk- do past papers for each subject also but mark yourself as harsh as you can! Good luck!!!!!! )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I distinctly remember getting a C in an English Literature mock before exams and ended up with an A* in every paper at A2. Read the feedback, ask questions if you're uncertain about anything, find the method that works for you and practice practice practice.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.