The Student Room Group

How to recover from a bad grade

So we did a mini mock before I actually got my results and let’s just say what I got literally killed me inside and made me rethink my life choices . I got a C 62%
Worst thing is that I knew how to do all the questions . I made very very silly mistakes like I’m given a coordinate but my head decided to change the given coordinate like wtf.
I’ve revised for this test for 4 weeks , during the test I felt vet anxious and started to panic thinking she pups I get this wrong or not . In the process I lost all sense .
Now I feel bad , very bad . I cannot stop thinking about the grade . When I saw my grade I saw my grade I literally cried ( grades are sent by email) I was scared because I am someone who gets over 90% but all of a sudden I got down to 60% .

I learned my mistakes but I still not feel ready about doing the mock - Brw im in year 12
You are still in year 12. That mock does not matter. While it's the holidays do something you enjoy to get your mind off it. To do better next time, do a practice paper in timed conditions and without looking at any notes. See if you made any silly mistakes and then do it again. You have to believe that you can come back stronger for the next mock
Dude, what? You're talking as if you never had a bad grade before and even if you didn't, this mock means nothing in the longrun. If anything this is a perfect opportunity to see where you went wrong and to improve so it doesn't happen in the real thing. After, would you rather have this happen to you in an arbitrary mock or the real exam?
Reply 3
Original post by Persona5
You are still in year 12. That mock does not matter. While it's the holidays do something you enjoy to get your mind off it. To do better next time, do a practice paper in timed conditions and without looking at any notes. See if you made any silly mistakes and then do it again. You have to believe that you can come back stronger for the next mock

Thanks . I believe that the test are saved in our school systems though which I believe contribute to our predicted grades even though it isn’t our actual real mock .
I’m still devastated worst part is that people are going to ask me about my grade thinking I got 100% or something or making bad comments especially since my class is very competitive
It might work differently in your school, but in my school the predicted grades were based off the mocks at the end of year 12. Even if they do contribute, you could argue to raise your predicted grades if necessary. If people ask about your grade, you could lie and say you scored higher so they won't make any bad comments
Reply 5
[delete]
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Year 12 - got a D in my Chemistry mock (I’m a med applicant so this was a disaster), got an A in my AS level
Year 13 - just got a D in a “mock-mock” (our actual mocks are in March) again for Chem - now know what I need to revise as I’ve just redone it open book and done absolutely fine so it’s a revision issue :smile:

Basically - look at it positively. You now know what to work on and it is absolutely possible to pull your grade back up if you work at your weaknesses.

Also, trust me, by the end of year 12 - and DEFINITELY the end of year 13 - you will be well used to answering A-Level style questions. When you move up from GCSE all the exam technique you thought you knew flies out of the window, but you’ll recover it with time.

Don’t dwell on it - you’re still at the start of your A-Levels in the grand scheme of things and you can absolutely improve from here on.

I also understand the issue with worrying what people will say - half my friends are applying for Chemistry, Natural Sciences or Maths at of Oxford/Cambridge and will probably get 4A* with ease. But actually, nobody will rib you too much if they can tell you’re worried, so you either have two options - play it cool like “yeah I messed up that test cause I couldn’t be asked” and they’ll laugh and forget about it, or say “yeah, I’m quite weak on topic xyz so I didn’t do as well as I’d have liked, but I’m going to work on it” and they’ll probably understand and may even offer to help.

Best of luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending