The Student Room Group

I fainted?!?

Ok so I felt sick last night and today I woke up and went for a shower to make me feel better and I was almost done then I couldn’t hear anything I got a super sick feeling in my stomach and I felt dizzy I was holding on to the side and then I just fell and my stomach hit the side of the bathtub when I came to I was out the shadow sitting on the ground and the shower was off I don’t remeber that happening at all. I felt much better after still shaking and my hearing was coming back but the sick feeling was still there

I’m 16 and this has never happened to me before is there something wrong with me? And how do I tell my mum I tried to when I got out the shower but could say it help please
Go to your doctor.
go to the doctor & explain what happened to them. they will give you a thorough check to find out what happened.
Reply 3
Sounds like it. Get check out though. It could be something more serious than low blood pressure etc.
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I felt sick last night and today I woke up and went for a shower to make me feel better and I was almost done then I couldn’t hear anything I got a super sick feeling in my stomach and I felt dizzy I was holding on to the side and then I just fell and my stomach hit the side of the bathtub when I came to I was out the shadow sitting on the ground and the shower was off I don’t remeber that happening at all. I felt much better after still shaking and my hearing was coming back but the sick feeling was still there

I’m 16 and this has never happened to me before is there something wrong with me? And how do I tell my mum I tried to when I got out the shower but could say it help please

I'm 15 and I had a similar incident to you. Basically whenever I'm sitting down with a phone or watching tv and I get up all of a sudden I feel really dizzy and lose balance. So I take my time standing up and it helps. Once when it happened I felt so dizzy and disoriented I grabbed a pull up bar lifted myself with my legs above the floor; next thing you know I wake up on the floor with a pain on my head and back.

Now that you've reminded me I need to see a GP. See a GP
Reply 5
Please please PLEASE see a GP. It sounds like you’ve had something a little more complicated that just passing out because you’ve got a memory issue with it as well. I don’t mean to frighten you but you need to see the doctor.
don’t wait for the gp, go to the hospital cos someone I know fainted and they told her she had diabetes.
Reply 7
Original post by FloralLuxe
don’t wait for the gp, go to the hospital cos someone I know fainted and they told her she had diabetes.

Yeah im going to go there now
Reply 8
I'd head to a and e or your local out of hours GP. It could be something really simple, but it could be something really sinister.
Original post by katf
I'd head to a and e or your local out of hours GP. It could be something really simple, but it could be something really sinister.

Please don’t go to A&E with a simple faint unless you have severe abdominal pain after bumping it during the fall.
If ED referred all the postural hypotensive young teenage girls who had vasovagals after getting out a hot shower to the first fit clinic, you wouldn’t be able to move for referrals.

Also even if it was a first fit, it was yesterday and nothing else has come of it acutely. It’s got no place in the ED. It wouldn’t even necessitate bloods (other than for the courtesy of another HCP in an outpatient basis).

And finally, in my experience, a lot of EDs can’t even refer to the first fit clinic anymore due to funding cuts. So rocking up to A&E on statistically the busiest weekend in the year (last night I had patients waiting 11 hours to see a doctor), it’s a recipe for spending the day only to be told to see your GP.
It’s called risk management. Would you expect her to be admitted so a doctor can stand vigil 24/7 with a syringe full of lorazepam to hand just in case?!!

I’m surprised that you’re even entertaining the possibility of a seizure in this case!

I thought the traditional busiest weekend is next week? Obviously records are being smashed every week... However GPs are also inundated with visits at this time of year.

As I said, I had sick patients last night waiting 11 hours to be seen by a doctor. Not to be seen by the medical team, or get a bed on the ward.. 11 hours to be seen by an emergency doctor.

Yes of course GPs are busy, no doubt about that. But that doesn’t make it an appropriate A&E referral.

Anyway this is slightly off topic for OP.
(edited 6 years ago)
You shoudl see a doctor. I've had blood pressure prolems in the past and fainted in the shower as a result - think it was caused by the hot water. And fainting in itself isn't too worrying, most people faint at some point. However it is possible that it's related to another health condition or a seizure as someone else said (due to the shower being turned off and memory lapse). Don't panic but just tell your mum and ask if you can go see a GP to be safe. And be aware that if you experience similar symptoms you should take it as a warning to get yourself to a safe location (i.e. not somewhere you could hit your head, don't cross a road, go down stairs etc), sit or lie down, and if possible tell someone what's happening.
Original post by Anonymous

Could be Vertigo - Google it

Quick Reply

Latest