Law Degree Employability at top Russell Group unis. Should I do a law degree?

Watch
mutd2103
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am planning to go to a top Russell university (LSE, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Maybe Oxbridge)
My predicted grades are A*AA
The concern I have is to do with employment opportunities after I do the degree. How hard is it to get a training contract, pupillage or a job at a London financial firm?
My main concern right now is it if it's worth doing a Law Degree at a top Russell group university or another degree such as Accounting and Finance. My main issue being that of employability.
Furthermore, I am talking about employment opportunities which are financially lucrative.
Fwd
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Firstly, i'm 99% they're scrapping training contracts, the LPC and the postgrad conversion course.. so, hopefully, getting a job is going to be way easier(?) This is meant to be happening no earlier than 2020.

Are you really planning to choose a degree on the basis of which one is going to make you the most employable? Or am I not understand correctly lol
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fwd)
Firstly, i'm 99% they're scrapping training contracts, the LPC and the postgrad conversion course.. so, hopefully, getting a job is going to be way easier(?) This is meant to be happening no earlier than 2020.

Are you really planning to choose a degree on the basis of which one is going to make you the most employable? Or am I not understand correctly lol
Wait what (1st year law UG)
Fwd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chichaldo)
Wait what (1st year law UG)

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/i...eing-scrapped/

I first read about it on the University of Law website. I think it's great lol, I'm also a first year and was freaking out daily about training contracts
mutd2103
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Fwd)

Thank you for replying. Firstly, where have you got this information from? (about the scrapping training contracts)
And, no I am not choosing a degree simply on its employability, but employability will play a significant role in my choice.
Fwd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mutd2103)
Thank you for replying. Firstly, where have you got this information from? (about the scrapping training contracts)
And, no I am not choosing a degree simply on its employability, but employability will play a significant role in my choice.
https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/i...eing-scrapped/ & the Uni of Law website. Just google 'lpc changes' and loads of articles will show =)

Ah ok, I misunderstood
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fwd)

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/i...eing-scrapped/

I first read about it on the University of Law website. I think it's great lol, I'm also a first year and was freaking out daily about training contracts
Hopefully it won't be too much harder but a lot cheaper - thanks!
Luke Collinson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My sister is a barrister for a prestigious chamber in Leeds. When I asked about doing law she said it was a silly idea as neither solicitors or barristers need it to practice. Do a degree in something respectably academic and then do a post graduate conversion course.
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fwd)
https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/04/i...eing-scrapped/ & the Uni of Law website. Just google 'lpc changes' and loads of articles will show =)

Ah ok, I misunderstood
And just to be clear on the wording of your initial post; they are scrapping the requirement of a training contract to qualify but most large firms have stated that they will still be offering training contracts as the route to qualification post 2020.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Luke Collinson)
My sister is a barrister for a prestigious chamber in Leeds. When I asked about doing law she said it was a silly idea as neither solicitors or barristers need it to practice. Do a degree in something respectably academic and then do a post graduate conversion course.
Or do a degree and learn lots of law. It may be useful to prospective lawyers.

For barristers, and indeed many small- to medium-sized, you will find yourself funding your GDL and the LPC/BPTC. A three year degree in law, while being interesting to a future lawyer, also means you "save" £10k-20k by not having to do the conversion course. If you're from a well-off family, perhaps this won't be a problem for you. Conversions tend to be down the high first and Oxbridge lines, also.
Fwd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Insecable)
And just to be clear on the wording of your initial post; they are scrapping the requirement of a training contract to qualify but most large firms have stated that they will still be offering training contracts as the route to qualification post 2020.
Ya, I've heard that =)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.79%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise