username895805
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
apparently serotonergic means 'pertaining to or affecting serotonin'. So does serotonergic function mean function of serotonin or functions that affect serotonin. And does serotonergic dysfunction mean dysfunctions of serotonin or dysfunctions that affect serotonin?
username895805
Rep:
?
???
Daveboi115
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Serotonergic function implies that it is the outcome of the effect produced by the molecule itself. Therefore the ability of serotonin to bind to a receptor and elicit an effect is a serotonergic function and thus the dysfunction is simply the inverse, the inability of the molecule to elicit an effect.
username895805
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveboi115)
Serotonergic function implies that it is the outcome of the effect produced by the molecule itself. Therefore the ability of serotonin to bind to a receptor and elicit an effect is a serotonergic function and thus the dysfunction is simply the inverse, the inability of the molecule to elicit an effect.
but then my tutor said serotonergic function and serotonin function isn't the same thing, what is the difference between these words?
Daveboi115
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Let me rephrase slightly, the serotonergic function is that of the production of serotonin e.g in the serotonergic system of the brain which produces the serotonin where it elicits an effect. So quite simply it is pertaining to the production of the molecule whereas dysfunction is implying a deficit or issue with said production.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads