Should the minimum wage vary regionally?

Watch this thread
ericcarlson1
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The cost of living in London and the South East is higher than the cost of living in the North East or Wales by a significant amount. I feel that it would be better if the minimum wage was determined by region by taking into account cost of living data, including rent. I don't quite understand why something like this hasn't been implemented already? The US does something similar where different states can set minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage. However, this is affected by state politics and Democratic states tend to have higher minimum wage rates than Republican states because of party policy.
Student-95
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
no
ericcarlson1
Rep:
(Original post by Student-95)
no
So do you think it should just be determined nationally?
SafiaFarzana
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately the minimum wage does not even reflect the national average living wage. Ideally, yes, the minimum wage for an area should take into account the context of that region’s cost of living as wealth is certainly relative. I don’t see this happening under today’s government, unfortunately.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
absolutely, in some parts of the country, rents and prices are 50% of that of London.

Employers could hire more people, if wages were lower.

A good friend of my mom is a head teacher. They cut back on people they used to hire to help with lunch hour and after school activities because of the higher minimum wage rises.
ericcarlson1
Rep:
I think it could also boost the economy of the North. If wages are comparatively lower there, companies might hire more people. The problem is that these jobs would be low-skilled or unskilled labour. Currently, there is a lack of skilled and graduate-level jobs in the North.
Yaboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The only option is to build a wall and create two countries
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ericcarlson1)
I think it could also boost the economy of the North. If wages are comparatively lower there, companies might hire more people. The problem is that these jobs would be low-skilled or unskilled labour. Currently, there is a lack of skilled and graduate-level jobs in the North.
but if you create 10 unskilled jobs, you create 1 management level job.
You create at least 1 payroll job which is semi skilled.
L i b
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No. In a unified domestic market, there are legitimate reasons to attempt to achieve greater economic harmonisation across the state. To some extent, a National Minimum Wage does this - as often do welfare benefits (although this largely requires housing benefit to be taken out of the equation, I'll admit).
username1799249
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Its an interesting idea, but if anything Londoners should be paid more rather than northerners being paid less. You can't live on the minimum wage in the North. Teachers get paid more in London as do most workers. It sort of makes sense although increased minimum wage would only push up prices at the bottom of the market in London. You can't win. I don't really know why people try to live in London these days. Too expensive.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Would be a system begging for expoitation by even medium sized businesses.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The cost of living in London and the South East is higher than the cost of living in the North East or Wales by a significant amount. I feel that it would be better if the minimum wage was determined by region by taking into account cost of living data, including rent. I don't quite understand why something like this hasn't been implemented already? The US does something similar where different states can set minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage. However, this is affected by state politics and Democratic states tend to have higher minimum wage rates than Republican states because of party policy.
I am heavily against this idea essentially it misses the point that living costs should be reduced and it also builds into the idea that people are entitled. If you can't secure a well paying job in London.. move.

I would also add that bar rent and council tax, most costs are actually fairly similar.

Labour is already cheaper in the north for non-minimum wage jobs than London and yet we don't see firms outsourcing massively because more skilled labour is attracted to London than skilled firms leaving looking to reduce labour costs.
L i b
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Its an interesting idea, but if anything Londoners should be paid more rather than northerners being paid less. You can't live on the minimum wage in the North. Teachers get paid more in London as do most workers. It sort of makes sense although increased minimum wage would only push up prices at the bottom of the market in London. You can't win. I don't really know why people try to live in London these days. Too expensive.
Because a lot of London is quite nice, there's lots to do and there is a greater availability of high-paying jobs.

I wouldn't have moved there without a decent salary though. But that's maybe true of anywhere.
ScottishBrexitor
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm in favour of allowing devolved institutions, councils and city mayors having the power to increae the minimum wage in their part of the UK, London especially.
username3672344
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stewpid
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No. We have to scrimp and save here in the Midlands, **** london and the south they get too much of there own way
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So do you think it should just be determined nationally?
Yes
sexilexi
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
There should be no minimun wage as it is a policy that harms the very people it's trying to help.
Alpha boy
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The minimum wage needs to be scrapped. Asides from being an unnecessary example of government interference in the market, it merely results in lazy economically useless people being rewarded with a wage above their market value.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alpha boy)
The minimum wage needs to be scrapped. Asides from being an unnecessary example of government interference in the market, it merely results in lazy economically useless people being rewarded with a wage above their market value.
Don't hire them then if the job isn't worth the cost.

Unnecessary is a very subjective term.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (115)
68.45%
No (34)
20.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (19)
11.31%

Watched Threads