The Student Room Group

Imperial maths application

Hello, I applied to imperial to study maths and I just read that if you applied before the 15th October you had to do the MAT but I didn't do this since I'm doing the STEP papers anyway, should I call them and ask about whether I'll still be considered? (I read the emails they sent me after I applied through ucas and none of them said anything about MAT).
Original post by urboif1
Hello, I applied to imperial to study maths and I just read that if you applied before the 15th October you had to do the MAT but I didn't do this since I'm doing the STEP papers anyway, should I call them and ask about whether I'll still be considered? (I read the emails they sent me after I applied through ucas and none of them said anything about MAT).

Doesn't harm you to ask Imperial Admissions for clarification. Perhaps they'll give you an offer with a STEP condition. They are extremely clear on their website about the MAT requirement.... so I don't know if it will help much... doesn't hurt to clarify though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Doesn't harm you to ask Imperial Admissions for clarification. Perhaps they'll give you an offer with a STEP condition. They are extremely clear on their website about the MAT requirement.... so I don't know if it will help much... doesn't hurt to clarify though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do they compare between a candidate who has done average in the MAT (like 50 - 60) and a candidate who hasnt taken the MAT at all assuming that both applicants have really strong predictions, ps, and references. Whom will they give the STEP offer to?
Or will both be rejected?
Original post by Rohan77642
How do they compare between a candidate who has done average in the MAT (like 50 - 60) and a candidate who hasnt taken the MAT at all assuming that both applicants have really strong predictions, ps, and references. Whom will they give the STEP offer to?
Or will both be rejected?

Not my place to speculate but it really depends. If you applied before October 15th and you didn't take the MAT, you might get rejected just on the basis of not following admissions instructions (not sure how Imperial does it but know someone who got rejected for not following instructions from Oxford). If both applicants applied after October 15th, it would depend on the applicant pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88
Not my place to speculate but it really depends. If you applied before October 15th and you didn't take the MAT, you might get rejected just on the basis of not following admissions instructions (not sure how Imperial does it but know someone who got rejected for not following instructions from Oxford). If both applicants applied after October 15th, it would depend on the applicant pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I do get rejected due to that I would get quite upset since I could have left the option blank and applied after and then wouldn't have needed to do the MAT
Original post by urboif1
If I do get rejected due to that I would get quite upset since I could have left the option blank and applied after and then wouldn't have needed to do the MAT

Thats exactly where I am at now haha.
Performed really average on the MAT and have to wait and see whether thats good enough for Imperial.
Oh well, gotta wait and see what happens now. However, I got offer from Warwick from Maths and am very happy about that. So wont be entirely heartbroken if Imperial reject me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending