The Student Room Group

Being threatened to pay up for a site or i face going court

A Few months ago i used a *site* in which i agreed to pay only once. However the site that i used then told me that my card was declined so i left it like that.

Then i realised this same site has since charged me twice. I had to tell my bank to reimburse my money and to block the subscription. Now yesterday i received an email saying i am forced to pay up £100 by the end of this month. I tried contacting the site only to realise to say 'they don't know this account' and 'your not in our system'. This means i have been tricked and fooled!

It was only then they foolishly admitted it's a different company site that takes the money, meaning they FIRST lied to me that it was them in the first place. I don't know what to do and i ain't ****ing paying £100. They are threatening me to take me to court by tracking my ip address as proof (:s-smilie:)

I don't want my parents to find out that i used this site otherwise i may be ****ed forever. What should i do??? anyone had a similar situation??? will debt collectors start coming to the house??
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Report it to the police.

I understand that there are make-up's available that can hide extreme blushing.
Sounds like they're trying to scam money out of you.
Original post by Huw M Thomas
Report it to the police.

I understand that there are make-up's available that can hide extreme blushing.

That's what i'm thinking but the way the site company was making it out in the email saying 'we will take legal requirements necessary' has made me baffled. I'm planning on waiting it out then maybe i will have a clear idea on how to take it on
meh ignore them and all future contact

especially if they are based in a different country and all they have is an IP address they wont spent thousands tracking you down
Original post by Quiet Benin
That's what i'm thinking but the way the site company was making it out in the email saying 'we will take legal requirements necessary' has made me baffled. I'm planning on waiting it out then maybe i will have a clear idea on how to take it on

Did you use the site? If so then you should pay because you are liable. By use I mean access the site and viewed content.
They’re a scam company and so obviously can’t and won’t take you to court when it’s them who have been lying to you as well as taking your money.

It’s an empty threat they use to try and scare less tech-savvy people into paying. Just ignore and block them. Don’t reply to any contact they attempt with you.
Original post by Huw M Thomas
Did you use the site? If so then you should pay because you are liable. By use I mean access the site and viewed content.

I used the site to subscribe to something and then i was told my payment didn't go through so i forgot about and assumed there's no point using something if my bank card is declined.

I only went back to the site to track why there were taking my money. So i have not really used content in the site because it is not accessible without subscription. see? it's quite strange why they would do this to me
i wish i can say the site it was but it's either too embarrassing or too sad
I used the site to subscribe to something and then i was told my payment didn't go through so i forgot about and assumed there's no point using something if my bank card is declined.

I only went back to the site to track why there were taking my money. So i have not really used content in the site because it is not accessible without subscription. see? it's quite strange why they would do this to me

You can go and see CAB or talk to the consumer helpline, but there is a sarcity of detail, so its unclear whether they have any claim. I would say not considering the sign up was never completed as payment was never made.

What was the site and why would your parents kill you?
Was it an adult site?
i wish i can say the site it was but it's either too embarrassing or too sad

these sleazebags hope that you will be too embarrassed to stand up to them. they are criminals.
As you'v done inform your bank,and voice those same concerns with them.
Also ask there advice as to whether you should report them to police.
Make no payments whatsoever and block all communication they have with you.
There just trying to bully you,
dont fall for it.
Beeee Lucky.xxx
Reply 12
Don't pay anything, it's a false threat and a scam.
Reply 13
Tell them to **** off and take a flying leap. This sounds like little more than a scam and a poorly executed one at that.
surely your parents know you are a big boy by now...
Reply 15
They cannot take you to court. Don’t pay up.

Report to Trading Standards and/or the Police
Original post by 999tigger
You can go and see CAB or talk to the consumer helpline, but there is a sarcity of detail, so its unclear whether they have any claim. I would say not considering the sign up was never completed as payment was never made.

What was the site and why would your parents kill you?
Was it an adult site?

Yes it was an adult site because i basically i have no life and i can't get girls...

My parents are Christians, they would kill me if they found out i do these stuffs.
Original post by Texleedslad0004
As you'v done inform your bank,and voice those same concerns with them.
Also ask there advice as to whether you should report them to police.
Make no payments whatsoever and block all communication they have with you.
There just trying to bully you,
dont fall for it.
Beeee Lucky.xxx

I think after the due date, if they contact me again, i will have to look for advice to take action.

I ain't ****ing paying £100, **** that but yeah i have learnt a lesson here
This is why I only ever pay with PayPal
Yes it was an adult site because i basically i have no life and i can't get girls...

My parents are Christians, they would kill me if they found out i do these stuffs.

I wasnt attacking you, just wondered.
It also gives me a better impression.
Are they in the US? I wouldnt worry.

As the card was never accepted, then I ont believe there was a contract as I think payment would constitute the actual agreement.

Presumably the bank agreed to cancel and then bar any direct debit/ standing order.

They are just trying it on.

Anything about court is simply them trying to put the frighteners on.

I would just ignore them. You will be fine. You can threaten to report them to the police for harassment, but tbh its best you dont respond as that encourages them.

Quick Reply

Latest