This poll is closed

How did you find the exam?

Amazing! :woo: 4%
Good :H 25%
Okay :bebored: 39%
Bad :cry2: 14%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@18%
Total votes: 28
I just made this for people doing advanced higher biology so we can talk about our projects, prelims and units

Scroll to see replies

Sounds good! Revising for my AH Biology prelim here! I was wondering if you know where you can find the older Advanced Higher Past papers? Cause the SQA only put up a few. I've found some on http://peterheadacademy.aberdeenshir...y-past-papers/ but they don't go back that far. Any help appreciated
Reply 2
Original post by Keen Bean #1
Sounds good! Revising for my AH Biology prelim here! I was wondering if you know where you can find the older Advanced Higher Past papers? Cause the SQA only put up a few. I've found some on http://peterheadacademy.aberdeenshir...y-past-papers/ but they don't go back that far. Any help appreciated

I haven't found any from before 2007 but there is a website I use for all unit revisions:http: //www.hyndland-sec.glasgow.sch.uk/websites/schsecHyndland/UserFiles/image/Biology%20Dept/Hotpots/AHAllunits.htm
Original post by nagaza
I haven't found any from before 2007 but there is a website I use for all unit revisions:http: //www.hyndland-sec.glasgow.sch.uk/websites/schsecHyndland/UserFiles/image/Biology%20Dept/Hotpots/AHAllunits.htm

Thank you! That looks useful, I'll check it out. Cheers!
I hate adv bio don't know why I took it
Reply 5
Perhaps the most boring course to ever exist with a generous helping of project pandemonium.
Original post by Puppo
Perhaps the most boring course to ever exist with a generous helping of project pandemonium.

Agreed!! ^
Agreed!! ^

i disagree, the course is not that boring, but there is definitely way too much project pandemonium
Reply 8
im just curious, how many taught classes / periods of advanced higher biology do people have a week ? I get the impression that in private schools and more better funded state schools pupils have more teacher contact for advanced highers than is expected. The problem here is that i thought that advanced highers were meant to be primarily independent learning which is why they get more ucas points than a levels but if some types of schools are offering two taught double periods for four days a week then that premise isn't correct
Reply 9
Original post by hi2u_uk
im just curious, how many taught classes / periods of advanced higher biology do people have a week ? I get the impression that in private schools and more better funded state schools pupils have more teacher contact for advanced highers than is expected. The problem here is that i thought that advanced highers were meant to be primarily independent learning which is why they get more ucas points than a levels but if some types of schools are offering two taught double periods for four days a week then that premise isn't correct

I have 2 lol wbu
Original post by Puppo
I have 2 lol wbu

Spoiler

Reply 11
Original post by hi2u_uk

Spoiler

ye I know why we have less than others etc a mix of resources and classes being too small to justify it haha which is valid
Original post by hi2u_uk

I had 5 hours per week back in the day
Original post by Asklepios
I had 5 hours per week back in the day

I have 4 hours per week
Reply 14
For the project does anyone know what statistical analysis we are expected to use? Also I can't see in the marking scheme but are we supposed to graph our independent replicate data and also do statistical analysis on that?
Original post by Puppo
For the project does anyone know what statistical analysis we are expected to use? Also I can't see in the marking scheme but are we supposed to graph our independent replicate data and also do statistical analysis on that?

Pool all your data together. The statistics depends on your data, but generally you'll need descriptive statistics (average, confidence interval, frequency tables etc). You may also need to conduct a hypothesis test which will depend on the type of data - common ones include chi squared test, t-test, Mann-Whitney u test. If you have data on an x and y axis, you can do linear regression or a spearmanns rank correlation
Reply 16
Original post by Asklepios
Pool all your data together. The statistics depends on your data, but generally you'll need descriptive statistics (average, confidence interval, frequency tables etc). You may also need to conduct a hypothesis test which will depend on the type of data - common ones include chi squared test, t-test, Mann-Whitney u test. If you have data on an x and y axis, you can do linear regression or a spearmanns rank correlation

Thank you very much! - I've installed R software so will try some of these today
@Puppo in the SQA Understanding Standards example projects, someone got full marks for statistics, and they just did 95% confidence intervals.
Reply 18
@Puppo in the SQA Understanding Standards example projects, someone got full marks for statistics, and they just did 95% confidence intervals.

Ohh wow I'll have a read haha thanks for saying!
Original post by Puppo
Thank you very much! - I've installed R software so will try some of these today

Hahaha good luck with that - R is pretty intense to say the least. It has a pretty steep learning curve and whilst it's probably the 'gold standard' for statistics in academic sciences, you'll probably have a hard time with it unless you've got significant experience with coding and/or have done higher computing or something.

Other good statistical software includes things like SPSS ans GraphPad Prism. However these are really expensive (although I think you can get a 30d free trial of GraphPad which also makes much better graphs than excel for your report so maybe think about it). PSPP is a free version of something like SPSS which should have more than enough functionality. Lastly even this website should be fine http://www.socscistatistics.com/tests/Default.aspx

Though really for things like chi squared and t tests, you can probably do the maths manually.

As keen bean says, doing any sort of formal hypothesis testing is probably way beyond what would be expected but imo it's not that hard to do and you'll look **** hot.

also if you're struggling to know which tests to use, feel free to PM me about your data

Quick Reply

Latest