will i survive A-levels?

Watch
charlie300
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The a-levels i have chosen are Maths, Economics, History and EPQ (Extended Project).

I want to know how difficult all of these subjects are at A-level. I am predicted a 7 (old A) in history and maths and we don’t do economics at gcse level.

Also any advice for studying these A-level courses? I hope to do a degree at a good university after A-levels as well
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by charlie300)
The a-levels i have chosen are Maths, Economics, History and EPQ (Extended Project).

I want to know how difficult all of these subjects are at A-level. I am predicted a 7 (old A) in history and maths and we don’t do economics at gcse level.

Also any advice for studying these A-level courses? I hope to do a degree at a good university after A-levels as well
Eh nah if you find gcses easy, A Level's are only a bit of a step up so it's not that bad just as long as you're not a lazy shiz like me haha xD

Although I don't do history and economics at A Level, I am doing 4 A Levels which are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and it does require work but it's not like a massive step up if you find gcse relatively easy. However if you are struggling with gcses then A levels is much more of a step up I'd say.
Vanilla Twilight
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I do Maths and according to my teacher, Maths is one of the hardest A levels to 'step up' to. The course is definitely more difficult and it can take a while to get your head around a topic, but if you keep up with the work, you'll be fine. If you don't understand a topic in class, go home and review it and ask for help if necessary. It's only difficult if you ignore the things you're getting wrong and let the work pile up.
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
History is gonna be hell if you aren't prepared, but if you read a lot, good at remembering and are lucky, I think you'll be Ok. Try to finish the coursework as early as possible or you will be really stressed. Read the books and practice exams techniques, they are the A/A* in Econs. Maths should be the easiest one. Try to finish finding/ evaluating sources and essay outline for EPQ over the summer, or else it will interfere with your A2 study.
ShanMarie_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Short answer; History is absolute HELL. Don't do it!

Long answer: In year 12 i began with English Literature, Drama, History and Computer Science; with the intention of going into Programming or the like. However, after 2 months i realised i could not continue with 4 subjects and thus, had to drop Computer Science as it was the one i was struggling with the most due to being absolutely hurrendous at Maths. But i dropped CS with the full intention of completing EPQ, and as of now, i am waiting for the results. I would recommend EPQ to anyone however, i would complete the essay over the summer between year 12 and year 13 as that way you can focus purely on your subjects during term time. So, last year, in my AS' i achieved BBB, which i was elated with, when i saw that i had a B in History i screamed with happiness. The reason for my elation was because of my struggle. In year 12, i did no revision or work (whatsoever, absolutely nothing) for English Literature and Drama, i simply attended the lessons and achieved a B. History...well that was a different story, every single day for a minimum of AT LEAST 3 hours, i would sit and plough through the textbook and the 100 other 'extra reading' sheets my teachers would provide for me, not only did i have to learn the whole of Henry VII and Henry VIII's reign, i had to learn every fact about the Russian Revolution. This year, i have to remember almost 200 years of Tudor History: 1485-1603, Henry VII, Henry VIII, Duke of Somerset, Duke of Northumberland, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I, alongside the Russian Revolution and Dictatorship from 1917-1953, that is almost 300 years of IN-DEPTH history i have had to retain and revise for 2 years... On top of this, i then i have to complete a 3,000 word essay exploring another 100 years, (1815-1914) on a topic such as the German Unification for Coursework. So, 400 years of history in 2 years. It is an absolute joke.

And honestly, i cannot cope with it. Although i am, arguably, naturally clever, History A Level is the hardest thing i have ever done and has put me off academia for life. I am lucky enough to have recieved all unconditional offers from the universities of my choice and i have now turned to creativity and am going to study Dance, after taking classes, performing and competing for 14 years.

I hope that other people see this and do not make the mistake i made. Just because you get an A or a 7/8/9 whatever it is now, in a subject, does not mean you should take it at A level. Choose subjects that you love, that you've always been naturally good at and have a workload that is manageable for you and won't make you hate your life and the word 'revision'...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads