The Student Room Group

If lord Alan Sugar created a university, would it be more popular than Oxbridge ?

I think it would. Would be better than trump university.
I would go to a uni Kim Jong un created to do nuclear studies where you learn to create atomic bombs
Reply 2
I don't think it would, Oxbridge are known across the world as elite schools, so it has a global appeal. While a Lord Sugar Uni would ,maybe, only appeal to UK students wanting to study business as Lord Sugar is only really known in the UK - not worldwide like Oxbridge is.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I think it would. Would be better than trump university.

Thats a bloody low bar...
oxbridge was been around since tudor times, no
Original post by Steampunk_Turtle
oxbridge was been around since tudor times, no

Tudor times? You what.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Tudor times? You what.

oxford and cambridge. I swear they've been around since tudor times. So they've already got that 500 year reputation they were the only/ first unis in the UK for like time. So cause they been around for time, people assume they good.

History and tradtion things.

Plus i don't think people care for Sugar as much any more
Original post by Steampunk_Turtle
oxford and cambridge. I swear they've been around since tudor times. So they've already got that 500 year reputation they were the only/ first unis in the UK for like time. So cause they been around for time, people assume they good.

History and tradtion things.

Plus i don't think people care for Sugar as much any more

No, I was being pedantic; they're significantly older than the Tudors. Henry VII became king in 1485 which established the Tudor dynasty. Oxford was established in 1096 and Cambridge in 1209.
It would fail
Reply 9
Depends, is the mascot a sugar cube and are all the students called sugar cubes? Also, if you get kicked out do you get an email with him pointing a finger and a speech bubble saying "you're fired"? Also, when you graduate do you get to take a picture with a cardboard cut out of him? Also, do you get a motivational speech each year that's recycled from all the "I'm the best horse" comments from the Apprentice?
if so, still probably not, but it'd be funny as hell.
ah i knew it. We're doing Tudors at A-level know and i know oxbrdge had a mentionabe role in regards to the Englsih Reformation. I guessed it woudn't make sense if they didn't exist before then. Anyway , my stupidity over, this question is still weird.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
No, I was being pedantic; they're significantly older than the Tudors. Henry VII became king in 1485 which established the Tudor dynasty. Oxford was established in 1096 and Cambridge in 1209.
Definitely no. Oxbridge is known worldwide. I hate to say it, but when I was about 8 all the unis I knew were Oxbridge, ones where family went and the local one on the way to school, and if you ask someone abroad then chances are they've heard of Oxbridge but probably not Durham (1 step below). I learnt that Imperial is close as well as LSE for a select few subjects. But honestly Oxbridge is just a tier above all of its competition. The whole process means that to get in you can't just get good academics generally and get in like you would at literally all other unis (besides certain courses like medicine), you actually have to be passionate and really strong at that subject specifically and not just a great student overall. When you look at less rigorous/prestigious courses, at pretty much all unis outside Oxbridge you can get in quite easily just by having good grades/predictions. Oxbridge ensures a standard across all its courses by giving ALL courses additional testing and interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest