The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

T171

I'm awaiting conformation that I've got a place on Feb's presentation of
T171,( yes I've left it rather late)..

My question for the group is :

Are those of you registered for Feb 2002 using T171 as a starting point
for a computer based degree or something entirely different?

Reason for the question is that T171 and DD100 are seemingly recommended
for just about everybody new to OU that haven't studied in awhile.

Nosey bugger aren't I !!

Dave
Reply 1
"David Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I'm awaiting conformation that I've got a place on Feb's presentation[/q1]
[q1]> of T171,( yes I've left it rather late)..[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My question for the group is :[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Are those of you registered for Feb 2002 using T171 as a[/q1]
[q1]> starting point[/q1]
for
[q1]> a computer based degree or something entirely different?[/q1]

I am indeed using it for the first "module" of the degree in IT &
Computing, as I already have a good knowledge of computers, networks and
so on, but would like to add professional qualifications to my CV to
give it a bit of a boost. I'm also looking into setting up a TV
production company (on a small scale at first) soon, but this is
requiring lots of careful planning, to fit in with this next year and my
other commitments. It's going to a fun but tough year next year!

[q1]> Reason for the question is that T171 and DD100 are seemingly[/q1]
[q1]> recommended[/q1]
for
[q1]> just about everybody new to OU that haven't studied in awhile.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Nosey bugger aren't I !![/q1]

Yes :wink: You've got a lot of information out of me tonight!
--
Thanks, Chris Brennen *Running on reduced power due to new PC with
teething troubles that I've now given up hope on ever fixing without
re-building it :frown:*
Reply 2
I'm studying T171 as part of a science degree. It's there as something
I'm familiar with and just because it is interesting. Serenity
Reply 3
All this hand-holding is very fine - how to study, how to make notes, how to write reports. And if
you're interested in learning about the origins of PCs & WWW, it's also very fine. Not too good if
you thought you were going to investigate the web and its possibility - well not unless you're
prepared to wait until the last 5 minutes of the course.

The whole thing is on-line, which is pretty cool, except that if all the people in your tutor group
f*** off and your tutor is a humorless pr*ck who doesn't seem to care, you're stuck doing a
correspondence course on yer own without a shred of human contact.

Me, I've decided to jack it in...

D'Void
Reply 4
On Wed, 8 May 2002 18:10:51 +0100, D'Void <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> All this hand-holding is very fine - how to study, how to make notes, how to[/q1]

I didn't like the 'study skills' elements of this course initially, but I'm starting to realise that
the study skills being taught in this course are invaluable for higher-level study. It seems to me
that the real point about this course is preparation for further study in Levels 2 & 3 and that the
course material provides a good framework to teach these study skills.

Personally, it's not the work I find hard in this course. It's the getting used to the OU style of
study, which depends on commitment, self-motivation and time-management. (IMHO).

Mark.
--
Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both yea and nay (and quite a few things
that just have nothing at all to do with the question).
Reply 5
On Wed, 8 May 2002 18:10:51 +0100, "D'Void" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>All this hand-holding is very fine - how to study, how to make notes, how to write reports. And if[/q1]
[q1]>you're interested in learning about the origins of PCs & WWW, it's also very fine. Not too good if[/q1]
[q1]>you thought you were going to investigate the web and its possibility - well not unless you're[/q1]
[q1]>prepared to wait until the last 5 minutes of the course.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The whole thing is on-line, which is pretty cool, except that if all the people in your tutor group[/q1]
[q1]>f*** off and your tutor is a humorless pr*ck who doesn't seem to care, you're stuck doing a[/q1]
[q1]>correspondence course on yer own without a shred of human contact.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Me, I've decided to jack it in...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Don't give up at this stage. Just think of it as an easy 30 points towards your degree. If you do
the final ECA of the course then it's pretty much impossible to fail.

Julie
Reply 6
"Mark Hill" <[email protected]> opined:

[q1]> It seems to me that the real point about this course is preparation for further study in Levels 2[/q1]
[q1]> & 3 and that the course material provides a good framework to teach these study skills.[/q1]

A lot of people (thousands) are attracted to this course as an end in itself, and not as a stepping
stone to a degree. Surely, by now, the OU must be aware of this and could skew things a little more
towards modern computing and the internet? I dunno, I found it all a bit too 'academic' in a stuffy
sort of way, which is not how www study should be IMHO.

s
Reply 7
On Wed, 8 May 2002 19:21:38 +0000 (UTC), socrates <[email protected]> wrote: ...
[q1]> I dunno, I found it all a bit too 'academic' in a stuffy sort of way, which is not how www study[/q1]
[q1]> should be IMHO.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> s[/q1]

Do you think they should use new ways to teach over the internet? It seems to me the OU are using a
mixture of offline (lecture-style web sites) techniques with new online ones such a First Class
'group work'. Perhaps that's not an accurate representation of what the OU are doing, but that's my
view on it right now. :smile:

--
Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both yea and nay (and quite a few things
that just have nothing at all to do with the question).
Reply 8
On Wed, 8 May 2002 19:21:38 +0000 (UTC), the human known as "socrates" <[email protected]> wrote
the following gibberish:

[q1]> I dunno, I found it all a bit too 'academic' in a stuffy sort of way, which is not how www study[/q1]
[q1]> should be IMHO.[/q1]

It's a UNIVERSITY course, what do you expect? If all people want is a primer in the WWW they can go
to the BBC's Webwise site.

Latest

Trending

Trending