The Student Room Group

Opinion on my IB subject choice

Hey future ib colleagues, I’m the next victim of IB! Its that time in my life where I actually have to think about what I want to be in life. I HAVE NO IDEA. Teachers are commanding (I’m over exaggerating a bit) subject choices for IB. I chose subjects that interested me other than actually dying and trying to figure out what career I want. Here it is:

Higher level
Chemistry
English
Business and management

Standard level
Math
Arabic
Physics or biology not sure

can people who took these topics give me advice? Also what career can I get out of these choices??? Help!!!!
Original post by Taify
Hey future ib colleagues, I’m the next victim of IB! Its that time in my life where I actually have to think about what I want to be in life. I HAVE NO IDEA. Teachers are commanding (I’m over exaggerating a bit) subject choices for IB. I chose subjects that interested me other than actually dying and trying to figure out what career I want. Here it is:

Higher level
Chemistry
English
Business and management

Standard level
Math
Arabic

can people who took these topics give me advice? Also what career can I get out of these choices??? Help!!!!

I have moved this to the IB section, you may get more advice here.
Original post by Taify

Higher level
Chemistry
English
Business and management

Standard level
Math
Arabic

If you would like more flexibility... and if you can change courses; I would change B&M to another science subject... this will allow you access to more science subjects. With your current spread, you can do most humanities courses and certain science courses (although most need double science).

Personally did HL Chem, Bio, English Lit A and SL Maths, Psych and Chinese B so any questions on those subjects in particular, I could try and answer them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, if you are wanting pursue science in uni then there are courses that you can take to pick up the science subjects that you lack, but other than that I say, take the subject you thing you will preform well in and enjoy. this is what I will be doing. I have taken HL English, Visual arts and Film studies with SL Physics, Spanish ab and Math. although I know the field of work I would like to pursue, nothing is set in stone.
Reply 4
Original post by Rock Fan
I have moved this to the IB section, you may get more advice here.

Thank you! I’m new to this haha
Reply 5
Original post by wolfmoon88
If you would like more flexibility... and if you can change courses; I would change B&M to another science subject... this will allow you access to more science subjects. With your current spread, you can do most humanities courses and certain science courses (although most need double science).

Personally did HL Chem, Bio, English Lit A and SL Maths, Psych and Chinese B so any questions on those subjects in particular, I could try and answer them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if I do economics? Is that considered a science? Here is what I’m thinking my new subject choices should be:

Higher level
biology
English
economics

Standard level
Math
Arabic
Physics

What do you think? And may I ask what you want to pursue in the future with these subjects? Also how difficult is juggling two sciences at HL? If I don’t really enjoy chemistry should I do it at hL?
Reply 6
Original post by EBR13
Im yr13 and currently do hl chem bio and psych and standard english maths studies and french ab

if you want to do chemistry take it standard, if your school does maths studies take it or change slightly later on the course when you have idea what you want to do, and if you think you want to do science then definitely do two sciences.

i started doing standard maths but changed to studies about 5 or 6 months into yr12 its very easy to catch up. some uni courses definitely want standard but quite a lot dont care which one so possibly start in standard and change once you have an idea of what you want to do.

Why are you suggesting I do chemistry SL and math studies?
Original post by Taify
What if I do economics? Is that considered a science? Here is what I’m thinking my new subject choices should be:

Higher level
biology
English
economics

Standard level
Math
Arabic
Physics

What do you think? And may I ask what you want to pursue in the future with these subjects? Also how difficult is juggling two sciences at HL? If I don’t really enjoy chemistry should I do it at hL?

Economics is not considered a science... most economics courses require an applicant to have maths to the HL level so you wouldn't be able to apply to a lot of economics courses if you would like to study economics. Double HL sciences require a significant time commitment. It really does depend on what you want to do in the future... your current choice would rule out a lot of science subjects in uni. Also Maths SL is definitely better than Maths Studies SL... A lot of science subjects don't accept Maths Studies... so keep that in mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending