Advanced higher chemistry project. Aspirin determination

Watch this thread
a1302
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently planning my advanced higher project and I'm doing determination of aspirin. To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. I have a procedure but now I'm trying to create an aim and introduction and also a results table. First of all, I don't know what the aim is. I'm guessing it's something like to calculate the mass of aspirin contained in different brands of aspirin tablets and compare them. I am carrying out a titration but I have no idea what to put in the results table. I have three brands of aspirin and I have to do each one twice and have a control. Any help would be really appreciated!!
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
have you done titrations before?
a1302
Rep:
(Original post by Maker)
have you done titrations before?
Yeah but I don't even know what the aim is. Our teacher is really bad.
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a1302)
I'm currently planning my advanced higher project and I'm doing determination of aspirin. !
More details please. Are you doing an actual synthesis, purification & recrystallization from base salicylic acid, & then determining yield and purity?
a1302
Rep:
(Original post by 303Pharma)
More details please. Are you doing an actual synthesis, purification & recrystallization from base salicylic acid, & then determining yield and purity?
This is the link:
http://new.chemistry-teaching-resour...H/AdvHPPAs.pdf
It's page 55 and 56
Maker
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
This is a straight forward titration, what don't you understand about it?
a1302
Rep:
(Original post by Maker)
This is a straight forward titration, what don't you understand about it?
My teacher told me that I need to have a control and make my own sodium hydroxide. She is not being very helpful with any questions I have as I don't know how to do any of these things. I am supposed to have an aim, introduction and blank results table for tomorrow and I really don't know even what my results will consist of/what I'm trying to calculate.
Maker
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Your aim is to find out how much salicylic acid is in each aspirin tablet. Since there is about 300mg of salicylic acid in each tablet, you need a fairly dilute solution solution of NaOH. I would suggest 0.01M. If you are doing this for real, don't forget NaOH will react with the carbon dioxide in the air so don't make up a solution and leave it around, use it ASAP.

I don't see the point of a control here, its chemistry,not biology.
a1302
Rep:
(Original post by Maker)
Your aim is to find out how much salicylic acid is in each aspirin tablet. Since there is about 300mg of salicylic acid in each tablet, you need a fairly dilute solution solution of NaOH. I would suggest 0.01M. If you are doing this for real, don't forget NaOH will react with the carbon dioxide in the air so don't make up a solution and leave it around, use it ASAP.

I don't see the point of a control here, its chemistry,not biology.
My teacher has said nothing about salicylic acid and I don't know why she wants me to have a control
Maker
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Just do as I suggested.
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a1302)
This is the link:
http://new.chemistry-teaching-resour...H/AdvHPPAs.pdf
It's page 55 and 56
To be clear and certain. You're just doing the back titrations of over the counter, retail Aspirin, not the actual synthesis?

In which case i guess the aim is to analyze and quantify the ratio of API : excipient in that brands formulation, and compare.

The results would include all measurements taken; masses, concentrations, volumes, titration results etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads