username3295248
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiya,

I started sixth form this September and I do English literature, Sociology and Ancient History and I'm predicted AAA for my AS grades. I can cope with English and sociology but I'm really struggling with the copious amount of information for ancient history. I find that even though it's an interesting subject, I end up zoning out so much in class and when it comes round to revision, I have no idea how to revise for it because there's so much information. For GCSE history( Germany + history of medicine) I basically did timelines on post it notes of key events and words that would trigger my memory and stuck it all on my walls but that course was over a considerable amount of time whereas ancient history is so condensed in time but has more information. Simply, I was wondering how I could revise Ancient History?

I'm doing Greece at the moment and starting Rome in January and there's the new spec textbook we use in class and we aren't allowed to take them home to revise; its also really quite expensive.

any help/advice/ revision examples/ website links would be appreciated
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maryam1013)
Hiya,

I started sixth form this September and I do English literature, Sociology and Ancient History and I'm predicted AAA for my AS grades. I can cope with English and sociology but I'm really struggling with the copious amount of information for ancient history. I find that even though it's an interesting subject, I end up zoning out so much in class and when it comes round to revision, I have no idea how to revise for it because there's so much information. For GCSE history( Germany + history of medicine) I basically did timelines on post it notes of key events and words that would trigger my memory and stuck it all on my walls but that course was over a considerable amount of time whereas ancient history is so condensed in time but has more information. Simply, I was wondering how I could revise Ancient History?

I'm doing Greece at the moment and starting Rome in January and there's the new spec textbook we use in class and we aren't allowed to take them home to revise; its also really quite expensive.

any help/advice/ revision examples/ website links would be appreciated

If you are zoning out in class, then you are missing important info. You could pre read and prepare so you have to concentrate less.

Timelines are brilliant, but they are only a tool to show a sequence of events. Important for structure, but History involves not only who did what and when but understanding the why.

Use mind maps as well, then start to look at essay papers to get a feel for what they want.

Ancient History is also about the motivation of the personalities at the time plus what people thought at the time abut life, society religion etc. You need to appreciate that and reflect it n your essays if you want a decent mark.

Get some decent revision books so at least you have a reliable source to fall back on if you are zoning out in lessons.
FelisCatus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm in Year 12 as well and I'm doing the exact same Ancient History course as you. I have two teachers and I'm currently doing Greece in conflict and the Breakdown of the Late Roman Republic. My Greece teacher, who has been teaching for over 30 years and is a really strong teacher regards extra reading as the best way to learn. For Greece he recommends Buckley, Powell and Kagan who can be found in libraries for your modern historians and for ancient historians look at the website Perseus Tufts for old texts.
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads