Charlotte's Web - Fatness to Fitness blog

Watch
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Welcome to my Fatness to Fitness blog! :popout:

After a year or so of procrastinating, I've finally decided to take the plunge and seriously try to lose some weight. After a difficult few years I finally feel like I'm happier and taking care of myself. Unfortunately now that I'm less stressed/anxious, my diet and fitness (or lack thereof) is taking a toll on my health and the way I feel about my body. It's the one thing in my life which isn't improving :unsure:. My weight has increased exponentially over the last 6 months and it's now come to a point where I realise I need to do something about this or my health is going to decline.

Starting point
Weight: 99.8kg :zomg:
Height: 5'9
BMI: 32.5kg/m2:judge:
Exercise: None
Diet: Luxurious:perv:
Alcohol: Around 16-20 units a week :cheers:
Smoking: Quit as of September 2017 (with occasional lapses...) :thumbsup:

Challenges
- Health issues. Something I unfortunately can't do a great deal about. Some days are better than others. Some days any physical activity causes me pain. I'm unfortunately not able to weight bear much on my arms and any sort of heavy lifting or high impact activity is very painful, although I do hope to build up a bit of strength if I can. :dumbells:
- Going to a gym isn't really a worthwhile option for me as I wouldn't be able to use most of the equipment, so I'm already faced with a challenge before I've started. I'm in the fortunate position to have a spare room, so I've bought various bits and pieces including an exercise bike to go in there, and hope this will be a cost-effective option.
- Money. Exercise equipment and healthy food can be pretty expensive :sadnod:. I don't have a lot of cash to splash on fancy equipment. I'm hoping to look for second hand where possible and will be adapting my diet to whatever is cheap and healthy at the time.
- Knowledge :beard: . I am no sort of fitness expert. I am a complete beginner. Much of the information available is for reasonably fit, healthy, able people, so I will need to adapt and do as much as I can manage.
- Mental challenges. I'm not sure I really believe at this point that I can make a difference to myself :shy2:. I feel very limited by my body and its issues. I also worry about falling into the habit of counting calories and obsessively measuring my weight.

Plan
- To combat my lack of knowledge, I will be using the NHS 'Start Losing Weight' guide to begin with as it seems pretty simple and straightforward. https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweig...ng-weight.aspx
- I will tracking my steps and activity using my trusty old Fitbit which hasn't been used in years but is miraculously working again.
- I will set aside time each evening for exercise (depending how much I can tolerate). Hopefully this will increase as I move forward. Again, I'll be tracking this regularly.
- Rather than going on a fad diet or a diet I can't keep up, I'm going to try 'mindful eating' which is basically a plan of becoming more aware of exactly what (and how much) you are putting into your body. :eating:

Goals
1. To generally feel healthier and happier. This is a pretty hard one to measure but probably the most important goal I have.
2. To bring my weight down to a more acceptable range for my height. While I'm aware that BMI is not the most accurate of measurements, I would like to get into the 'normal' range, rather than 'obese', where I'm starting out. :ashamed2:
3. To feel more confident in myself and the way I look. I would love to lose some weight from my upper arms and stomach. Again, hard to measure and something that will likely take a long time to achieve.

I hope that this blog will keep me motivated and moving forwards.:whip:
Gone Revising II
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Subscribed.:cool:
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Day 1

Still charging the Fitbit so no data on steps etc. today but I've not really left the flat so I'm sure the results would be pretty dismal. I find it so hard to go out when it's cold and icy outside.

Exercise
I managed to burn 150 calories on the exercise bike in 10 minutes and was knackered after it. It wasn't much, but was marginally better than nothing. Am I cycling too fast? Who knows. The uncomfortable seat will certainly take some getting used to but I'm going to persevere with it, or perhaps use a cushion to soothe my nether regions.

I also changed my bedding which probably burned more calories.

Food
I had a normal late breakfast of cornflakes, fruit toast and a couple of pieces of fruit. I later had some of the takeaway I got yesterday, but only ate until I was full rather than eating the lot like the piggy I am. :oink:

I'm trying to make an effort to be well hydrated so I've prepped some homemade iced tea (winter spice flavour :claus:) with a tiny bit of sugar as I figure it's better for me than the super sugary drinks I usually go for, and I just can't drink plain water unless it is ice cold.

I'm also trying some overnight oats for work tomorrow for the first time, which hopefully won't taste as gross as they look.
marcofran_1989
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello there, I'm impressed to see your spirit.i can suggest you a little thing you can try green tea its very effective for weight lose.try to follow proper diet routine.and you should ride in exercise bike over 1 hour per day it will help you to burn calories over 500 per day. I hope you can effort all of this. keep your spirit and go ahead. Best of luck.
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
good luck girly!! you got this!
Kraggor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sounds like a great plan! Will follow for any updates
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Post-Christmas Update

Apologies for the delay in updates. In hindsight, starting something like this right before Christmas may have been a bad idea. :curious:

I was lucky enough to spend Christmas with my family, which unfortunately meant a packed schedule and little no no control over my diet, and no time for exercise. I'm not sure if anyone else has this, but I often feel like I'm under house arrest at my parents'. We did go out most days, but it was very much at their discretion. I don't really get any time at all to myself. Honestly, it was a pretty exhausting couple of weeks, and it's taken me a few days to recover and catch up on my sleep. My mental health always seems to take a hit whenever I go back home, and I honestly have not really felt like exercising or doing anything much other than sleeping. Fortunately I can feel myself getting back to normal now.

Exercise
The fitbit lost charge over Christmas and I have neglected to charge it back up again. I don't need it at the minute though, I can easily tell you that my steps are dismal. I am going to charge it this evening though.

Other than a few bits of casual walking here and there, exercise is pretty lacking at the moment. I'm hoping to get back onto the exercise bike this evening. It's just unfortunate that as soon as I've gotten into the habit of going on it, I've had to spend 2 weeks without it.

I have done a lot of new-year-clean-house stuff recently. I'm not sure why as I'm more of the disposition that I don't like dirt, but 'clean mess' is pretty normal and acceptable. I'm also starting to recycle too, which, ashamedly, I have never really made any particular effort to do. I'm hoping some of my relentless cleaning and tidying has burned a calorie or two.

Food
Food has been pretty good recently. The vast majority of my shopping has been fruit and veg, and I made a lovely vegetable soup which has lasted aaaages but I don't really mind. I have had a couple of microwave meals during the back-to-work recovery period, but always supplemented with a lot of veg.

My sister is doing some sort of vegan challenge for January, which is a bit extreme for me, but it has made me consider what I'm eating. I definitely want to try to have more vegetable-based dishes. I'm not sure I'd ever manage (or want to) go completely veggie or vegan, but there are certainly environmental and health benefits, so it's something I'd like to think more about, even if it was just a couple of meals a week. Eating less meat would mean that when I do have meat, I can afford to go for nicer types with higher welfare. I'm also making a concerted effort to add more pulses and lentils etc. to my diet as it's pretty filling and nutritious. I just need to find some reasonable recipes to make them taste less like boring mush.

I'm struggling with a lot of Christmas chocolate. I can't decide whether to just binge on it all or keep eating a bit each weekend until next Christmas...

I hope I have somepositive progress to update you on next time!
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
subscribing!! good luck!! :dumbells:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads