Can i still go to oxford or Cambridge with these results?

Watch
Yusuf.3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If in August 2018 I receive 10 grade 9's and 2 grade 5's in English literature and language and then in a level I achieve a*'s in all my 3 courses, will I get accepted to an interview in Oxford or Cambridge?
AvogadrosAvocado
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends on your PS tbh and any submitted work so can’t rlly help...
Sint
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ten 9s is ridiculously high, and A*A*A* at A Level is probably going to be above the entry requirements for the course, even at Oxbridge. As long as you're looking to do a science-y course at uni, then I don't think they'd really mind about the 5s in English. But I'm not an expert by any means.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends: some courses have a pre-interview admissions test. If you don't score well on that, then getting through to the interviews is less likely.

Basically no one here can give you a definitive answer! :nah:
username3675786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know some unis have a B in English Language as a
requirement. I’m pretty sure Oxbridge doesn’t have this. Ten 9’s is very, very high also. If you achieve 3A*’s along with this then your chances are very good.
Yusuf.3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sint)
Ten 9s is ridiculously high, and A*A*A* at A Level is probably going to be above the entry requirements for the course, even at Oxbridge. As long as you're looking to do a science-y course at uni, then I don't think they'd really mind about the 5s in English. But I'm not an expert by any means.
I am going to do maths, further maths, physics for a level
Texxers
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why is it that I'm starting to think these Oxbridge posts are all trolls?
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it's easier said than done, believe me especially getting 3 A stars at A level.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, you will also need to have blood type A-
Sint
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.3)
I am going to do maths, further maths, physics for a level
In that case, I don't think your GCSE English grades will matter at all really as long as you've passed. Although I suppose it's fairly important to have solid written communication skills whatever degree you do.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.3)
If in August 2018 I receive 10 grade 9's and 2 grade 5's in English literature and language and then in a level I achieve a*'s in all my 3 courses, will I get accepted to an interview in Oxford or Cambridge?
Some universities may want a 6 in English language. Unsure about Oxford, but for Cambridge it wouldn't be a hindrance.

But if you're shooting for 10 9s and then A*A*A*, I don't see why you can't surprise yourself
Yusuf.3
Rep:
?
ded
(Original post by AshwinDurairaj)
Not as knowledgeable on the application side of things, however with such high targets (of 10 9's), what's holding you back from getting good grades in English?
I'm sure a level 5 will restrict you (maybe?), and just learn how to answer the question in-depth and what you should include in your answer for Language, and for Literature just read the book, take key parts out and analyse, remember the quotes and how to answer the question.

Anyway, if you try your best I'm sure you can get 12 8/9's, instead of 10 9's and 2 5's, it looks much better. Even a 7 (which wasn't hard to get last year) looks adequate enough.
Throughout my whole secondary school experience, i have always achieved a grade 5 in English and sometimes even less, to aspire to a 7 seems reasonable, but the fact is that when I revise English I never really improve, my year 10 mock was higher than my year 11 mock and i revised much more in year 11 than i did in year 10, english literature seems acheiveable but probably not english language
Yusuf.3
Rep:
?
s shc
What are you revising when you revise English? You making use of the Mr Bruff guides, guides on here, CGP books??
And it's normal if your mock in Year 10 was higher, due to the fact that in Year 11 it's much harder, in terms of the content and the marking will be much more difficult, therefore it's reasonable that you got a lower grade in Year 11.

English Language is also the easiest English in my opinion, all you need is to read, understand and answer the questions properly *there are guides on structuring your answer here*, and read the exemplar answers so you can use them to your benefit.

Check out with your teacher about what the mark scheme means and what you need to include in your answer to get the higher Levels.

It is very possible to get a grade 7.
I have cgp guide and when I revise English, I learn the quotes and practise essays and I just don't improve, like when I went to the English literature exam I went from a 5 to a 4 in year 11 mocks and the English language exam I got a 3 and both of these results shocked me
chuckymeg
Badges: 14
Report 3 years ago
No, you don't stand a chance. Try Oxford Brookes instead.
Yusuf.3
Rep:
?
Well, not much more I can say.
Just enquire with your teacher on what you can improve.
I would recommend getting higher than a 5, it'd help you get into whatever you're eventually going to apply for.
Alright, thanks for your help
gcse0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, the minimum is 96 A*s at A-level
Spoiler:
Show

jk

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise