The Student Room Group

Why do people with mental illnesses have children?

Anxiety disorders and many other mental illnesses have STRONG hereditary components which has been proven through lots of research. Some mental illnesses like social anxiety disorder are literally life-ending and might as well be terminal diseases.

My grandad had panic disorder, and my dad, and now I get panic attacks also. Panic disorder isn't life-ending like social anxiety is, but still.

People seem to only focus on the physical things they are passing on (but for some reason still have kids even when they have like Treacher Collins wtf is wrong with people?) and forget completely that they're also passing down their brain.

Do you think people with bad mental health problems should have children?

Scroll to see replies

They may not have had the mental illness when they had the child?
Original post by RockyDennis
Anxiety disorders and many other mental illnesses have STRONG hereditary components which has been proven through lots of research. Some mental illnesses like social anxiety disorder are literally life-ending and might as well be terminal diseases.

My grandad had panic disorder, and my dad, and now I get panic attacks also. Panic disorder isn't life-ending like social anxiety is, but still.

People seem to only focus on the physical things they are passing on (but for some reason still have kids even when they have like Treacher Collins wtf is wrong with people?) and forget completely that they're also passing down their brain.

To be honest, theyre human just like this so I dont see why not
Reply 3
Why did your granddad have your dad and why did your dad have you if they knew?

Maybe people just want kids. I see where you're coming from though.
Why do people with haemophilia have children?

Because they want to.

It can be managed - whether its physical like haemophilia, or mental like social anxiety.

Anyways, just because your dad has it, doesn't mean his kids will definitely have it.
Anxiety disorders and many other mental illnesses have STRONG hereditary components which has been proven through lots of research.

Where have you read that?

Some mental illnesses like social anxiety disorder are literally life-ending and might as well be terminal diseases.

1. Social anxiety, like pretty much every other health condition, physical or mental, covers a wide spectrum of presentations: for some people, it's completely debilitating; for others, it isn't.
2. Successful treatments for social anxiety exist; what you're describing is not a foregone conclusion.
Dunno. My dad was pretty selfish deciding to have a kid when he knew he was ****ed in the head himself. Wish he hadn't tbh.
its not unreasonable to assume that treatment for these disorders will improve as time goes on so that's a plus
Original post by Bill Nye
Why do people with haemophilia have children?

Because they want to.

It can be managed - whether its physical like haemophilia, or mental like social anxiety.

Anyways, just because your dad has it, doesn't mean his kids will definitely have it.

Yeah people just want kids. Most people don't give a **** if their kids has Treacher Collins, they're selfish pricks seriously if you have Treacher Collins and have children you're ****ing scum srs.

Same with passing on social anxiety, it's just as bad. You can't live with social anxiety your life is over if you have it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

The only medicines we have currently that work for those people (MAOIs) make it so like 50% of OTC medicines and a metric tonne of random substances are lethal to you. You might even die from eating sausages, cheese, anchovies etc. while on MAOIs it's ridiculous. Nobody ever recovers from anxiety disorders, you have them for life. People who are "cured" are still more anxious than a normal person, people who claim cure admit they're still "like 10% socially anxious". There are ZERO SUCCESSFUL TREATMENTS. Even some people on meds still have it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah people just want kids. Most people don't give a **** if their kids has Treacher Collins, they're selfish pricks seriously if you have Treacher Collins and have children you're ****ing scum srs.

Same with passing on social anxiety, it's just as bad. You can't live with social anxiety your life is over if you have it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

The only medicines we have currently that work for those people (MAOIs) make it so like 50% of OTC medicines and a metric tonne of random substances are lethal to you. You might even die from eating sausages, cheese, anchovies etc. while on MAOIs it's ridiculous. Nobody ever recovers from anxiety disorders, you have them for life. People who are "cured" are still more anxious than a normal person, people who claim cure admit they're still "like 10% socially anxious". There are ZERO SUCCESSFUL TREATMENTS. Even some people on meds still have it.

My dad inherited haemophilia - a genetic condition that means he does not produce the clotting factor needed in his blood.
It is very difficult to live a norma life with haemophilia. If normal person fell over and banged their head, they would keep eye on it, rest a bit, not do much really. Maybe an icepack, and get it checked out if you show signs of concussion. If some one with haemophilia did that, they would have to go to hospital straight away.

They have to have injections of factor 8 (the clotting factor) multiple times a week - think about a young child who has to go through that. They have to get a port placed under their skin so that they can have injections. They cannot do things like play contact sports, and every time they even hit their knee against something - they have to be very careful as what may just be a bruise for you could be something very painful and bad for them.

But it can be managed. Social anxiety can be managed, even if it is more difficult. Injections don't make you live a normal life, but it helps you manage it.

You are basically saying that I should never have kids as I carry the haemophilia gene, and could give it to my kids.

My half sister carries haemophilia. One of her kids has haemophilia, one doesn't.

What is the point of not letting people have kids that MIGHT have the same thing they do?

So people are scum if the kids they have aren't perfect and healthy from day one?

Makes sense
Most people agree that intelligence is at least somewhat hereditary, so you could equally ask why stupid people have children.
People with mental illnesses can still be happy :smile:
Are you questioning your own existence lol?
Original post by Bill Nye
My dad inherited haemophilia - a genetic condition that means he does not produce the clotting factor needed in his blood.
It is very difficult to live a norma life with haemophilia. If normal person fell over and banged their head, they would keep eye on it, rest a bit, not do much really. Maybe an icepack, and get it checked out if you show signs of concussion. If some one with haemophilia did that, they would have to go to hospital straight away.

They have to have injections of factor 8 (the clotting factor) multiple times a week - think about a young child who has to go through that. They have to get a port placed under their skin so that they can have injections. They cannot do things like play contact sports, and every time they even hit their knee against something - they have to be very careful as what may just be a bruise for you could be something very painful and bad for them.

But it can be managed. Social anxiety can be managed, even if it is more difficult. Injections don't make you live a normal life, but it helps you manage it.

You are basically saying that I should never have kids as I carry the haemophilia gene, and could give it to my kids.

My half sister carries haemophilia. One of her kids has haemophilia, one doesn't.

What is the point of not letting people have kids that MIGHT have the same thing they do?

If you're saying it's debilitating then yes you shouldn't have kids. Just like people with Treacher Collins shouldn't. LMFAO at dice rolling 50/50 whether a kid is going to have a torturous existence or not. ****ing selfish. Disgraceful.

And no, once again social anxiety can't be managed. If you have social anxiety disorder life has ended for you. You will ALWAYS have it at least a little bit. ONLY MDMA removes it for a little while until the effects wear off. MAOIs are life ruining in and of themselves and only work a bit. You'll never be normal. It's a terminal mental illness and your life is over the second it hits you.
It's a terminal mental illness and your life is over the second it hits you.

You must have really, really bad social anxiety. :unsure:
If i recall correctly; can't you have a doctor change the genetic code in the egg/sperm before they form to make a zygote?

This way the genetic disorder or other traits can be changed or removed.

It's basically custom made children and is a viable option to remove recessive genes that cause sickle cell disease and other stuff like that.

As for your question bro. The valid answer would be that parents want offspring to take their possessions when they die instead of other people having it. Some parents just want a family or kids they can rely on more than their own parents, so they get kids. There's nothing wrong with it in the way that i see it.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
If i recall correctly; can't you have a doctor change the genetic code in the egg/sperm before they form to make a zygote?

This way the genetic disorder or other traits can be changed or removed.

It's basically custom made children and is a viable option to remove recessive genes that cause sickle cell disease and other stuff like that.

Only if you know what the gene is. There are some conditions where there's more than one gene that can be responsible for a particular condition.

I object to people with views like this having kids
I’m pretty sure jono Lancaster would disagree with you. He is a fantastic human being, regardless of his looks.
Sometimes, people are more vile on the inside.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Only if you know what the gene is. There are some conditions where there's more than one gene that can be responsible for a particular condition.

lol, i didn't put that into consideration. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest