The Student Room Group

Student finance cancelled

Hi,

My student finance has been cancelled. I didn’t cancel it myself. I was withdrawn from university but I appealed and I’ve been reinstated for January. Do I have to start my whole application again or what? I’d already sent all the evidence they’d asked for, my declaration and I’m fully enrolled and registered at university. I intend on calling SF tomorrow morning but I just wanted an idea on what to expect.
Original post by G-mute1995
Hi,

My student finance has been cancelled. I didn’t cancel it myself. I was withdrawn from university but I appealed and I’ve been reinstated for January. Do I have to start my whole application again or what? I’d already sent all the evidence they’d asked for, my declaration and I’m fully enrolled and registered at university. I intend on calling SF tomorrow morning but I just wanted an idea on what to expect.

Why was it cancelled? Why did they withdraw you from the course? I would think a letter or communication from the admissions/ registry department to SFE will help confirm you have been reinstated and it should give the relevant details. Hopefully you are still on file and they just have to reverse the decision.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Why was it cancelled? Why did they withdraw you from the course? I would think a letter or communication from the admissions/ registry department to SFE will help confirm you have been reinstated and it should give the relevant details. Hopefully you are still on file and they just have to reverse the
decision.

I was withdrawn on the 30th of November for failing to complete my face to face withdrawal. At the start of the school year I flew out of the country to attend my great grandmother’s funeral. I had to extend my stay because shortly after that my cousin passed away.

When I returned home I found out that a friend had applied for a loan in my name. I wanted to go to uni because I’d missed over 4 weeks at this point but I had to report the crime and sort out my banking..etc. I had talked to my uni and told them about my situation and they were understanding.

I finally got to attend university but during those times I was babysitting my sister after lectures. I’m a commuter so i was weary about missing my train and being late home. I put it off for when things had settled down as I was told that I still had time to complete the face to face enrolment.

Fast forward to two weeks later I caught chicken pox from my little sister. I was out of uni for 3 weeks. Then because of all the stress I’d been through I got diagnosed with menorrhagia a form of acute blood loss. After my chicken pox subsided I intended on going to uni to complete the enrolment. But my condition made it difficult for me to do simple things let alone commute for over an hour on the train. My uncle sadly passed away on the week that I was informed that I was withdrawn.

I appealed the withdrawal because I had extenuating circumstances and I compiled all of the evidence in regards to the deaths in my family, my illness, my academic record and the crime committed against me. I had a week to submit my appeal. I used the whole week but I was given an extension because I was still very ill and because my course leader who had agreed to help me had other things to sort out first. I ended up submitting my application on Tuesday last week. I was told that I was reinstated on Thursday.

I haven’t had a reply from my university yet. But I know that they can confirm my attendance at university now that I’m reinstated. I read another thread about a cancelled application and it looks like it can be updated and retrieved. I’ll call SF to double check though.
Original post by G-mute1995
I was withdrawn on the 30th of November for failing to complete my face to face withdrawal. At the start of the school year I flew out of the country to attend my great grandmother’s funeral. I had to extend my stay because shortly after that my cousin passed away.

When I returned home I found out that a friend had applied for a loan in my name. I wanted to go to uni because I’d missed over 4 weeks at this point but I had to report the crime and sort out my banking..etc. I had talked to my uni and told them about my situation and they were understanding.

I finally got to attend university but during those times I was babysitting my sister after lectures. I’m a commuter so i was weary about missing my train and being late home. I put it off for when things had settled down as I was told that I still had time to complete the face to face enrolment.

Fast forward to two weeks later I caught chicken pox from my little sister. I was out of uni for 3 weeks. Then because of all the stress I’d been through I got diagnosed with menorrhagia a form of acute blood loss. After my chicken pox subsided I intended on going to uni to complete the enrolment. But my condition made it difficult for me to do simple things let alone commute for over an hour on the train. My uncle sadly passed away on the week that I was informed that I was withdrawn.

I appealed the withdrawal because I had extenuating circumstances and I compiled all of the evidence in regards to the deaths in my family, my illness, my academic record and the crime committed against me. I had a week to submit my appeal. I used the whole week but I was given an extension because I was still very ill and because my course leader who had agreed to help me had other things to sort out first. I ended up submitting my application on Tuesday last week. I was told that I was reinstated on Thursday.

I haven’t had a reply from my university yet. But I know that they can confirm my attendance at university now that I’m reinstated. I read another thread about a cancelled application and it looks like it can be updated and retrieved. I’ll call SF to double check though.

Have the police caught this fraudster friend?
You sound as though you had lots of unhappy disastrous events.
You have now missed an entire term? Di you attend any of it?
Are you sure you might not be better starting next year?

If you wish to continue this year, then I suggest you pit an application in to defer your exams till later in the summer to try and give you enough time to get to grips with the course.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Have the police caught this fraudster friend?
You sound as though you had lots of unhappy disastrous events.
You have now missed an entire term? Di you attend any of it?
Are you sure you might not be better starting next year?

If you wish to continue this year, then I suggest you pit an application in to defer your exams till later in the summer to try and give you enough time to get to grips with the course.

She hasn’t been caught yet, they told me that they’ll do the best they can. But they have other bigger cases to work on I suppose. I hope they catch her though.

My course is English Literature, we don’t have a lot of exams. We did have a test on the first day of lectures that I attended. I got 69% which I was happy with because I hadn’t been into any lessons beforehand. Whilst I was unwell I did keep on track with the reading aspect of the course. I even wrote down notes.

I’m not worried about failing, I know that I’m more than capable of getting a good grade. My course leader thinks so too. If anything my circumstances over the last two months have really spurred me on to want to do amazingly well. I attended 3 weeks of the course in total but thanks to blackboard and my notes I’m up to date with everything. I did submit coursework but I don’t know the grading yet. Overall I’m confident that I can do well, I’ve had a hard time but I can’t let that spoil my uni experience.☺️

Quick Reply

Latest