The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering at Nottingham or Leeds?

Received offers off both and I'm stuck. Which has better Job prospects? And do I go Leeds and potentially have no debt in the end... or do I live in Notts, have more focus on studying, and land 38k debt. Please help 😂
Reply 1
Anybody know which is better in Job prospects and/or opportunities? Coventry and Nottingham i've offers for. Nottingham would put me in debt of 40 though. Leeds has the potential for me to finish debt free. Any advise about anything would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Jaepiro
Anybody know which is better in Job prospects and/or opportunities? Coventry and Nottingham i've offers for. Nottingham would put me in debt of 40 though. Leeds has the potential for me to finish debt free. Any advise about anything would be greatly appreciated.

I would say Leeds if you can graduate debt free.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
I would say Leeds if you can graduate debt free.

It does feel quite like a no brainer. Moving to Notts would make me more focused i know for a fact... but debt free is a big enough incentive. I've not got Leeds yet, just hoping I do. They require to me to do a Diagnostic test too, I think it's just basic Calculus and Trig though. My heads f****d rn 😂
Original post by Jaepiro
It does feel quite like a no brainer. Moving to Notts would make me more focused i know for a fact... but debt free is a big enough incentive. I've not got Leeds yet, just hoping I do. They require to me to do a Diagnostic test too, I think it's just basic Calculus and Trig though. My heads f****d rn 😂

Why do you think you will be more focused at Nottingham?
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Why do you think you will be more focused at Nottingham?

I'm too comfortable at home. Distractions like most kids.. I think i'd procrastinate hard if i stayed at home. Is it all worth an extra 36 in debt at least? I think not. Ima just pray it all goes well, and ill make the decision nearer the time i suppose.
Original post by Jaepiro
I'm too comfortable at home. Distractions like most kids.. I think i'd procrastinate hard if i stayed at home. Is it all worth an extra 36 in debt at least? I think not. Ima just pray it all goes well, and ill make the decision nearer the time i suppose.

I presume you would be staying in halls/student accommodation at Nottingham? If so, I wouldn't necessarily assume that there would be less distractions there than home...

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whether it's worth an extra £36,000 in debt, but even though student loan debt is not "proper" debt and more like a tax, if you can get by without it, it's definitely worth considering in my opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
I presume you would be staying in halls/student accommodation at Nottingham? If so, I wouldn't necessarily assume that there would be less distractions there than home...

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whether it's worth an extra £36,000 in debt, but even though student loan debt is not "proper" debt and more like a tax, if you can get by without it, it's definitely worth considering in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly. Feels weird to be making decisions like this 😂 when you come from a family where money already is treasured, its hard not to only stress over it. Many thanks for your help though bud.
I go Notts and out of two people I know that did civil engineering, one switched to mech eng and the other transferred to Trent uni and is doing econ now loool. Notts is a nice place to live esp the uni but if you have to pay for it then what is the point lol
Hi, I'm stuck between both! Which did you choose and are you happy there? :smile:
Reply 10
I chose UoNottingham and I am very happy. The lecturers are outstanding (although I'm sure Leeds students would say the same) and to move away from home was by far the better decision for me; whenever I go back home I fail miserably to complete work. If you want to talk on an easier medium, feel free to dm me on Instagram @jae.sf and I am more than happy to try and answer anything to do with the course or debt worries you have, etc. Or continue to ask here,
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jaepiro
I chose UoNottingham and I am very happy. The lecturers are outstanding (although I'm sure Leeds students would say the same) and to move away from home was by far the better decision for me; whenever I go back home I fail miserably to complete work. If you want to talk on an easier medium, feel free to dm me on Instagram @jae.sf and I am more than happy to try and answer anything to do with the course or debt worries you have, etc. Or continue to ask here,

Helloo, i just got made an offer for civil engineering at nottingham (but plan to ask them if i can change to mechanical). How was your experience at nottingham for engineering?

and just generally is there anything else you can think of that would be good to know?

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest