What happens if you drop out of college Watch

queenofthorns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I recently dropped out of sixth form and I am planning to go to another college in September 2018. I was just wondering if I have to get a job/apprenticeship? If so, what are the consequences if I don't??
MadBeatle789
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I doubt there will be any. Are you under 18 and in the UK?
queenofthorns
Rep:
?
I turned 17 in November and I live in England

(Original post by MadBeatle789)
I doubt there will be any. Are you under 18 and in the UK?
MadBeatle789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah do you mean the consequences of not being in full time education up until the age of 18?
Pink fizz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by queenofthorns)
I recently dropped out of sixth form and I am planning to go to another college in September 2018. I was just wondering if I have to get a job/apprenticeship? If so, what are the consequences if I don't??
The law says you have to stay in some form of education or training until your 18th birthday so your parents could get in trouble
queenofthorns
Rep:
?
Ah do you mean the consequences of not being in full time education up until the age of 18?
I am just a bit confused as to what to do, as I will be going back to full time education before I turn 18 but theres 8/9 months before that where I won't be in education.
Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
DEpends where you drop out from. If it’s from the fifth floor then there are less chances of survival.
MadBeatle789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am just a bit confused as to what to do, as I will be going back to full time education before I turn 18 but theres 8/9 months before that where I won't be in education.
Why didn't you wait until the date you start at your new college to leave your old one?
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’re not going to be able to drop out for 8-9 months
Education of some kind is a legal requirement
It’s your parents that will be in trouble
Have a read of this for more info
http://childlawadvice.org.uk/informa...e-and-absence/
queenofthorns
Rep:
?
I really hated it there and due to my illness my attendence was getting very low. My teacher agreed that it would be best for me to take the rest of the year off.
Why didn't you wait until the date you start at your new college to leave your old one?
MadBeatle789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really hated it there and due to my illness my attendence was getting very low. My teacher agreed that it would be best for me to take the rest of the year off.
Don't worry you were medically signed off. There shouldn't be any consequences of you being off.
username3650628
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was not in school from the age of 10 onwards. My parents said they were homeschooling me and nothing else was done about it. No checks or home visits - nothing. I fell through the cracks of they very poor Department of Education who neither checked or cared whether or not I was being educated. My parents didn't care and education meant nothing to them. Once I was able I enroled at college for GCSEs with zero qualifications nor foundation knowledge of any subject. I've now just been offered places on competitive courses at Russell Group universities. I guess what I'm trying to say is the education department will do nothing, if your education doesn't matter to you, why should it matter to them.
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quite a few people drop out of second year A Levels at 17 and go into full time jobs. Nothing happens to them so I doubt anything will happen to you. If you intend to go back to college in September then its not like you're completely out. You're just taking a break to improve your well being.
queenofthorns
Rep:
?
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
Quite a few people drop out of second year A Levels at 17 and go into full time jobs. Nothing happens to them so I doubt anything will happen to you. If you intend to go back to college in September then its not like you're completely out. You're just taking a break to improve your well being.
Yeah, It's just really stressfull cause I don't want my parents getting into trouble for it :/
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, It's just really stressfull cause I don't want my parents getting into trouble for it :/
They shouldn't because you have a genuine reason. I think its a good idea to ask a adviser, possibly at your current college, on what to do regarding this. They'll know the do's or don'ts better than us.
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FutureHistorian)
I was not in school from the age of 10 onwards. My parents said they were homeschooling me and nothing else was done about it. No checks or home visits - nothing. I fell through the cracks of they very poor Department of Education who neither checked or cared whether or not I was being educated. My parents didn't care and education meant nothing to them. Once I was able I enroled at college for GCSEs with zero qualifications nor foundation knowledge of any subject. I've now just been offered places on competitive courses at Russell Group universities. I guess what I'm trying to say is the education department will do nothing, if your education doesn't matter to you, why should it matter to them.
I'm so sorry to hear about your awful circumstances. You are a true fighter. Congrats on the uni offers.
hugebrain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Morgz dropped out of school for YouTube before finishing his GCSEs and publicly admitted he wasn't in education, yet he's still fine
chantellemills
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hi i was just wondering if you could tell me how this all played out for you? i’m currently sort of going through the same type of situation but haven’t talked to my teachers about it yet i was hoping you could tell me if you or your parents had to face any consequences from this?
NotMyChicken
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by chantellemills)
hi i was just wondering if you could tell me how this all played out for you? i’m currently sort of going through the same type of situation but haven’t talked to my teachers about it yet i was hoping you could tell me if you or your parents had to face any consequences from this?
Hey, I know this thread is really old but just thought I should reply to this. I left school last year after my GCSEs and hadn't been to college and I can confirm there are no consequences for you or your parents as a result of dropping out or just not even going in the first place. In my case, a lady from the council called my household after around 6 months to find out what exactly I was doing, she was lovely and basically explained that they needed to know whether I was in college, doing an apprenticeship, employed, unemployed etc for their statistics. Also, their job is to provide you any help if you would like it in regards to getting onto courses or just general career advice. Your parents can only get in trouble if you're under 16 as you'd then be below the school leaving age (which is separate to the new laws which require you to be 18 before leaving education).
chantellemills
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by NotMyChicken)
Hey, I know this thread is really old but just thought I should reply to this. I left school last year after my GCSEs and hadn't been to college and I can confirm there are no consequences for you or your parents as a result of dropping out or just not even going in the first place. In my case, a lady from the council called my household after around 6 months to find out what exactly I was doing, she was lovely and basically explained that they needed to know whether I was in college, doing an apprenticeship, employed, unemployed etc for their statistics. Also, their job is to provide you any help if you would like it in regards to getting onto courses or just general career advice. Your parents can only get in trouble if you're under 16 as you'd then be below the school leaving age (which is separate to the new laws which require you to be 18 before leaving education).
thankyou so much for replying, right now i am 16 turning 17 soon so will the consequences come into place because of the age 18 law? i had a meeting with my parents in college the other day and they didn’t give me any options or choices and won’t let me leave the college basically forcing me to finish the course. I struggle really bad with my mental health and they don’t seem to understand that i’m literally incapable of getting through the rest of my course so i’m really stuck ://
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?