The Student Room Group

is everyone finding aqa french listening hard or it just me?

I swear those french people speak so fast like djbddufehkehuehfu. i've learnt all the vocab lists for the topics and still i dont understand i damn thing they say. like why can't they speak more slowly. this is gcse right? also that being said, i practiced a listening paper and got around 65%

just pls how do i improve my listening? do listening to french movies actually work? i just read the subs.
Reply 1
anyone?
Yup. My school had their French listening mock last week and I pretty much guessed about 70%+ of the paper..
Original post by xhyper22
I swear those french people speak so fast like djbddufehkehuehfu. i've learnt all the vocab lists for the topics and still i dont understand i damn thing they say. like why can't they speak more slowly. this is gcse right? also that being said, i practiced a listening paper and got around 65%

just pls how do i improve my listening? do listening to french movies actually work? i just read the subs.

I did AQA GCSE Spanish in 2015.

Dear god, I absolutely ****ing hated it because it was too ****ing difficult, and no matter how much practice I did, I still couldn't get a high mark. I don't know why I made myself sit through 2 years of MFL lessons.

65% is a pretty good score.
i thought i was good at french until those listening exams smh
Reply 5
I do A level French and I wouldn't recommend watching movies (unless they're specifically designed for learners) as usually they're way too fast and contain too much idiomatic language that'll just confuse you.

Something I used throughout my GCSEs was a series called ''Extra French'' on Youtube. It's honestly got the cringiest acting going but the language isn't too advanced and they speak at a much slower pace.

Don't worry about finding it too hard as I'm sure most of the people in your class are too. Me and a few friends used to struggle so much during GCSE listenings but now we're doing A level and getting on fine :smile:

Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok, I would suggest watching kids shows, anyone heard of MLB, it really helps me improve my french listening skills
yeah, i'm doing gcse spanish and french rn (both aqa) and both of my teachers say the listening seems pretty difficult this year. however, it's a lot easier when you learn the specific vocab aqa likes to throw in- they have a few specific words and phrases that sound difficult and they like to use all the time, but once you learn them it's a lot easier. some examples for french would be embouteillages = traffic jams, chomage = unemployment, avoir besoin de = to need and avoir marre de (i think) = to be fed up with. stuff like that. i have a huge (almost 70 page long) vocab list for aqa, although the stuff they put in the textbook vocab sections are just as good. anyone feel free to pm me for certain topics and i'll send the vocab. you might find the list online or your teacher may have one (it's the minimum core vocab list, 3.5 of the spec i think). hope that helps!
Reply 8
Original post by honeyofcourse
yeah, i'm doing gcse spanish and french rn (both aqa) and both of my teachers say the listening seems pretty difficult this year. however, it's a lot easier when you learn the specific vocab aqa likes to throw in- they have a few specific words and phrases that sound difficult and they like to use all the time, but once you learn them it's a lot easier. some examples for french would be embouteillages = traffic jams, chomage = unemployment, avoir besoin de = to need and avoir marre de (i think) = to be fed up with. stuff like that. i have a huge (almost 70 page long) vocab list for aqa, although the stuff they put in the textbook vocab sections are just as good. anyone feel free to pm me for certain topics and i'll send the vocab. you might find the list online or your teacher may have one (it's the minimum core vocab list, 3.5 of the spec i think). hope that helps!

hey, if you don't mind i would really appreciate if you could share your list because i suck at both reading and listening... although am hoping for an 8 in french cos im even worse at academic subjects :/
Original post by cheljade
hey, if you don't mind i would really appreciate if you could share your list because i suck at both reading and listening... although am hoping for an 8 in french cos im even worse at academic subjects :/

this link is the online version of the same list (i didn't realise it was online when i posted before)- hope that helps! good luck!
I'd say the best thing to do is practice. Listen to French music, listen to French news and do practice exercises- lots of exercises. Also 65 percent is really good for a listening TBH, I remember in 2019 I think it was 50 percent for a 7.... Also I know this is 3 years late but hope it helps someone

Quick Reply

Latest