The Student Room Group

Trash-y living situation!

hello hello,

I've got a bit of a bizarre housing situation - I currently live in Scotland in a 5 bedroom HMO property owned and leased by a private landlady. I've been in this property for over two years now and every year we have been provided with seagull-proof bin bags from the local council. This is because in order to put our proper bin onto the street, it would have to be wheeled from the small walled outdoor space through one of the tenants' (very tiny) bedrooms. We are definitively not allowed to leave the bin on the street week-round as it is a narrow bit of sidewalk and could hinder pedestrian traffic. The special bags stopped arriving in September and around the same time I asked my landlady to follow up on it with the council. Here we are in December, still no bin bags, and now my landlady is saying that it's my responsibility to chase down the council. My question is, legally, in this rather unique situation, who bears the responsibility to sort out the proper disposal of waste? If we put normal bin bags out on trash day we could get fined by the council, but we also literally can't use the bin provided without dragging the trash through a girl's room once a week, which is in no way sanitary or acceptable. Should I fight my landlady on this or bite the bullet and try to arrange the bags myself? Thanks in advance!
Original post by mlfe
hello hello,

I've got a bit of a bizarre housing situation - I currently live in Scotland in a 5 bedroom HMO property owned and leased by a private landlady. I've been in this property for over two years now and every year we have been provided with seagull-proof bin bags from the local council. This is because in order to put our proper bin onto the street, it would have to be wheeled from the small walled outdoor space through one of the tenants' (very tiny) bedrooms. We are definitively not allowed to leave the bin on the street week-round as it is a narrow bit of sidewalk and could hinder pedestrian traffic. The special bags stopped arriving in September and around the same time I asked my landlady to follow up on it with the council. Here we are in December, still no bin bags, and now my landlady is saying that it's my responsibility to chase down the council. My question is, legally, in this rather unique situation, who bears the responsibility to sort out the proper disposal of waste? If we put normal bin bags out on trash day we could get fined by the council, but we also literally can't use the bin provided without dragging the trash through a girl's room once a week, which is in no way sanitary or acceptable. Should I fight my landlady on this or bite the bullet and try to arrange the bags myself? Thanks in advance!

You may have to bite the bullet here.
Just deal with it yourself, it will be a lot less work than trying to convince someone else to deal with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending