lottytibbs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been given conditional offers from both University of South Wales (B's in my A2s) and Plymouth University (B's in my A2s & B's in my ASs)
but im not sure which one to choose

Plymouth:
-would be better academically bc of the higher entry grades
-closer to home
-i love the city and the concert life up there
-more chance of job
-but the campus isn't as nice and there isn't as much chance for extra Psychology opportunity

USW:
-less pressure for my entry grades as ASs won't be included
-cheaper better quality accommodation
-not directly in Cardiff so less distractions from the city
-much nicer campus
-but further away from home and less chance of a job

HELP?!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lottytibbs)
I've been given conditional offers from both University of South Wales (B's in my A2s) and Plymouth University (B's in my A2s & B's in my ASs)
but im not sure which one to choose

Plymouth:
-would be better academically bc of the higher entry grades
-closer to home
-i love the city and the concert life up there
-more chance of job
-but the campus isn't as nice and there isn't as much chance for extra Psychology opportunity

USW:
-less pressure for my entry grades as ASs won't be included
-cheaper better quality accommodation
-not directly in Cardiff so less distractions from the city
-much nicer campus
-but further away from home and less chance of a job

HELP?!!!
They have both asked for BBB?

Is there any chance you can work very hard and boost one to an A or alternatively consider doing a foundation year? You could see whats in clearing?

You only get one full cycle of funding in most cases.
It is not a bad thing to take a gap plus save money if you can find somewhere more suitable?
lottytibbs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thing is I do two A-levels and two AS-Levels bc I failed physics and maths last year and had to start Sociology
sarahcj_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I graduated this summer from USW so just thought i'd throw in my two cents.

I don't know much about Plymouth uni so can't say much in terms of comparison, however I came out of my Applied Psychology degree with a 2:1, got into a job by September, and my overall experience at USW was pretty good so I can tell you about that.

In regards to USW's place in the league table, the Uni did only complete its merger in 2013 and has recently gone through a restructure so it is still evident that they're picking up some of the pieces from those processes. However, it does have a good reputation with employers in the South Wales area and has connections with many local organisations and a fair number of larger companies, so I think once they properly find their feet, their position in the league tables will change. I will admit there are some issues with management and certain departments are not up to standard, fortunately Psychology isn't one of those though :P

The Psychology department itself is well organised, some modules are better than others and there is a bit of variance in the quality of lecturers, but I'm pretty sure this is the case in with most unis. In regards to providing placement, volunteering and further learning opportunities, they do really well. They have a scheme they run each year called Psychology Plus which includes a number of activities to boost employability, and they cover the scope of most areas of psychology. I personally took on an accredited level 3 Certificate in Coaching and completed an 8-week placement as an academic coach working with underperforming Year 10 students, which was a really good experience.

With regards to living there, I stayed in the Treforest halls during my first year, then for second and third year I moved down to Cardiff and commuted to campus, which wasn't much effort. I did enjoy being in Treforest for first year whilst I got used to living away from home, due to the sheer convenience of being right on campus, but since I come from Manchester I found the area a bit too quiet and wanted to be closer to the city.

I have a lot more I could go on about but don't want to write an essay haha, if you want to know anymore about what its like to study at USW feel free to send me a message and I can give you some info on more specific areas you may be interested in.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills โ€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads