The Student Room Group

Why is it seen as cool to drink alcohol?

Like I work with people who say stuff like “cant wait to go out and get smashed” and try to act like they are bigtime drinkers and can consume tons of alcohol like they are some kind of superhero. I really think this is strictly a British thing where someones worth depends on how much alcohol they can drink. Dont get me wrong, I like a few beers now and again but to purposely OD on alcohol with the end goal of puking your gutts out seems retarded as hell,I have heard people say “Im going to drink until Im on the floor puking” ummm why?
Reply 1
Its Fun.
Reply 2
that's British culture for you... the only other country that has it as bad as us is perhaps Germany...
Reply 3
Original post by Got Milk
Like I work with people who say stuff like “cant wait to go out and get smashed” and try to act like they are bigtime drinkers and can consume tons of alcohol like they are some kind of superhero. I really think this is strictly a British thing where someones worth depends on how much alcohol they can drink. Dont get me wrong, I like a few beers now and again but to purposely OD on alcohol with the end goal of puking your gutts out seems retarded as hell,I have heard people say “Im going to drink until Im on the floor puking” ummm why?

I was literally about to make a post like this and I thought I accidentally posted it lol. I can't understand it either. It's like people do it to fit in.
Original post by Xopher_
I was literally about to make a post like this and I thought I accidentally posted it lol. I can't understand it either. It's like people do it to fit in.

This is the conclusion I have come to, I think its a way of people trying to make friends and act like they are fun to be around.
This is the conclusion I have come to, I think its a way of people trying to make friends and act like they are fun to be around.

I think it's stupid tbh

That's student/youth culture and is found in most Western countries. It can hardly be called "British culture" (as someone else in this thread describes) if a large segment of the population (i.e. over 35s) don't really indulge in it.

Go to a pub in most British towns and the majority of people will not be getting paralytic, but drinking socially to the point of tipsiness at most. The culture you describe is found in particular places, i.e. student bars and bars where the alcohol is extremely cheap.
Reply 7
Because it's hilarious. [video="youtube;2xEuihUWSE0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEuihUWSE0[/video]
Reply 8
It shouldn't be at all, I'll have a drink sometimes at a celebration but otherwise I never drink (stopping drinking so much for last year and a bit) and especially don't ever get drunk anymore.:h: (This year I've only had 3-4 drinks I believe)

Like tonight my sister just came back from hospital with a broken wrist and a bump to the head and a bruise on her leg from falling down something like stairs from last night when she went out to the clubs and got super drunk.:frown:

Nothing worse than being in a state you can't control :colonhash:
Because people enjoy going out and having a drink, there are very few people who go out with the sole purpose of being sick
Huh...lightweights.
Reply 11
Booze with Finns. Good times.

Quick Reply