The Student Room Group

Im a carrier of haemophilia AMA

AMA
Reply 1
What’s that ?
For those of us who know very little about it, (I sort of know what it is) how do you know you're a carrier? I have no idea how the genetics of this works.
Reply 3
What is haemophilia? is it something to do with blood, haemoglobin and attraction to something? guessing from its name
For those who don't know, it's a disease which affects the clotting factors in your blood. As such, it I much harder for you to develop clots when you cut yourself for example.

OP, how did you find out? Genetic testing?
Original post by MagicalMedic
For those who don't know, it's a disease which affects the clotting factors in your blood. As such, it I much harder for you to develop clots when you cut yourself for example.

OP, how did you find out? Genetic testing?

Original post by Tiger Rag
For those of us who know very little about it, (I sort of know what it is) how do you know you're a carrier? I have no idea how the genetics of this works.

My dad has it, and my mum doesn't.
Original post by Bill Nye

My dad has it, and my mum doesn't.

How'd you save the world with Hemophilia , Bill Nye The Science Guy?
Original post by qam
What’s that ?

There are 2 different types, but it is when your body produces none / not enough of clotting factors in your blood, so you will bleed a lot more etc.
It can be quite dangerous if you fall over and bang your head, as it could affect your brain. etc
You have to have injections of clotting factor you are missing.

Original post by HateOCR
What is haemophilia? is it something to do with blood, haemoglobin and attraction to something? guessing from its name
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
So what happens if you get a paper cut ? will you just bleed out for ages ??
Presumably, you're aware of the tests regarding gene therapy for those with Hemophilia which have had some amazing results, are you excited at the thought of not having to constantly get injections to help with it anymore?
Original post by qam
So what happens if you get a paper cut ? will you just bleed out for ages ??

Nah, not me.

I'm a carrier of it which means that if I have kids, they have a good chance of getting it.
Some carriers also can have very mild symptoms of it (e.g. bleeding for a bit longer than most people, but you are still fine).

But it just means the blood will take longer to clot, or not clot properly. That makes cuts etc bleed for a while, but if you have had an injection site recently then you should be fine.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Presumably, you're aware of the tests regarding gene therapy for those with Hemophilia which have had some amazing results, are you excited at the thought of not having to constantly get injections to help with it anymore?

If he is a carrier of this disease, then he shouldn't have any symptoms relating to hameophillia. So since he has no symptoms, then that means that the gene therapy is probably not needed.

All it means is that if starts a family with someone who is also a carrier of haemophilia, then the baby has a 25% chance of getting haemophilia, a 75% chance of being a carrier or a 25% of getting nothing.

If his partner actually has haemophillia then the baby has a 50% chance of getting haemophilia or a 50% chance of being a carrier of the disease.

I've confused everyone... lmao

I dont have it - my dad does (and quite a few others in my family). I'm just a carrier of it (sorry to disappoint :P).

But yeah I have heard of that - someone in my family (think its my cousin? :P idk I have seen him in ages because he lives in Cambridge) has done it.

He has a brother though who didn't do it (who also has haemophilia) who is quite annoyed :P
Can you give blood if you carry it? Or is just people with the condition who can't?
Original post by stoyfan
If he is a carrier of this disease, then he shouldn't have any symptoms relating to hameophillia. So since he has no symptoms, then that means that the gene therapy is probably not needed.

All it means is that if starts a family with someone who is also a carrier of haemophilia, then the baby has a 25% chance of getting haemophilia, a 75% chance of being a carrier or a 25% of getting nothing.

If his partner actually has haemophillia then the baby has a 50% chance of getting haemophilia or a 50% chance of being a carrier of the disease.

Oop, yep you're right. :facepalm:

As there is a higher chance of your children having Hemophilia, are you excited at the prospect that they may not have to go for injections on a regular basis @Bill Nye?
Oop, yep you're right. :facepalm:

As there is a higher chance of your children having Hemophilia, are you excited at the prospect that they may not have to go for injections on a regular basis @Bill Nye?

Yes, but for now it doesn't work on children as they have to use a lot of steroids etc, but they want it to n the future.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Can you give blood if you carry it? Or is just people with the condition who can't?

I'm not sure :P
Is it heavy?
Have you ever seen The Ryan White Story? Good film.

Quick Reply

Latest