The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2018/2019

Is anyone else applying to be a Language Assistant for next year?

There's already a thread for 2017/2018 but I thought I would make a new one for the next intake.

I'm just filling in the information now and trying to get references done by the February deadline.

I was going to apply for Colombia but they are looking for one year experience already which I don't have, and Chile is expensive! £600 just for visa fees!

So I've decided to apply for Spain, anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nohaynada
Is anyone else applying to be a Language Assistant for next year?

There's already a thread for 2017/2018 but I thought I would make a new one for the next intake.

I'm just filling in the information now and trying to get references done by the February deadline.

I was going to apply for Colombia but they are looking for one year experience already which I don't have, and Chile is expensive! £600 just for visa fees!

So I've decided to apply for Spain, anyone else?

I'm applying for Spain! :h:
I'm applying too! For French speaking countries but not sure which order of preference I'm going to do yet
I have applied for Spain too! Does anyone know how likely it is to get your first choice region?
Reply 4
I've applied for Italy!

Original post by EmilyRadford1
I have applied for Spain too! Does anyone know how likely it is to get your first choice region?

From what I have seen on Google it varies a lot, so I guess it's good to just not expect it :smile:
I am applying for Spain too- how good is your guys Spanish?
Does anyone know which countries and which situations you have to do an assessment day/telephone interview for? I can only find conflicting information!
Reply 7
Original post by trou_noir
Does anyone know which countries and which situations you have to do an assessment day/telephone interview for? I can only find conflicting information!

My year abroad person at uni sent us this link when we were applying www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/key_messages_for_tutors_2018-19.pdf. I think it says interviews are for Canada, China, Latin American countries
Also applying, to Spain (again). I'm a uni finalist though so this will be my second time in the programme. It's also my back up option in case I don't get the job I want in the UK, so shall have to wait and see.
Reply 9
Has anyone been informed if they've passed initial assessment yet? I sent off my form in December and still haven't heard anything. I know they say to wait until April 30th, but I'm a bit of a worrier haha!
What does everyone's online portal say?
Mine still says 'awaiting initial assessment' and not sure whether to worry as some threads from last year show that people had 'awaiting further assessment' at this stage! I submitted in December.
Original post by BonjourChloeLou
Mine still says 'awaiting initial assessment' and not sure whether to worry as some threads from last year show that people had 'awaiting further assessment' at this stage! I submitted in December.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to get into the online portal since applications closed. Do you have the link?
I haven’t been able to figure out how to get into the online portal since applications closed. Do you have the link?

This is the link I use :smile:
https://apply.gmt.britishcouncil.org/outreach/workbench.ofml

could you let me know what stage yours says please if you're able to log on!

I submitted in January, says awaiting further assessment. This is my second year applying though (I did it in 2016/17 too).
Original post by Paralove
I submitted in January, says awaiting further assessment. This is my second year applying though (I did it in 2016/17 too).

Ok I'm seriously worried now :frown:
Ok I'm seriously worried now :frown:

What country though?
This is the link I use :smile:
https://apply.gmt.britishcouncil.org/outreach/workbench.ofml

could you let me know what stage yours says please if you're able to log on!

Thanks! Mine says awaiting further assessment.

Bear in mind though, there is still nearly two months to go before decisions are sent and a lot of applications, so it's probably nothing to worry about.
Original post by Paralove
What country though?

France, what has everybody else applied for? Also what is usually the next stage after 'further assessment'?

Thanks! Mine says awaiting further assessment.

Bear in mind though, there is still nearly two months to go before decisions are sent and a lot of applications, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

But I applied early December :frown: maybe it's because I didn't do French at uni & they want to do a language assessment?
France, what has everybody else applied for? Also what is usually the next stage after 'further assessment'?

But I applied early December :frown: maybe it's because I didn't do French at uni & they want to do a language assessment?

Spain for me. And potentially - to reiterate the above, you don't find out anything at least another 6+ weeks yet anyway, and that's pretty much only a confirmation of the region you've been allocated, so don't worry yet.

As for next stages, I've no clue - I didn't check up on the system in the last year I was applying, I just waited for emails to come through. I had one in the April with my region, and then didn't get my school allocation until late June.
Has anyone applied for Canada? I just got an email saying that I have to complete a webcam interview. Has anyone got any idea as to what kinds of questions they ask?

Quick Reply

Latest