The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2018/2019

Scroll to see replies

I've just got my place in Colombia too! :biggrin:
Original post by Eimear_L
Hey, congratulations on getting Chile! I’ve passed my online assessment and just waiting to hear back, I’m so nervous. Really hope I get it too!

Finally got an email, I'm going to Santiago! Hope you get good news too.
I’ve just heard back! Santiago too, maybe I’ll see you at the London briefing!
I’ve just heard back! Santiago too, maybe I’ll see you at the London briefing!

Awesome! I'm absolutely chuffed to be going there, how are you feeling? Apparently I'm starting in late August at the 'Institutuo Chileno Británico de Cultura', which seems to run courses in unis and schools. I believe I'll be working in a university, as most language assistants do. Are you August as well or July?
I’m absolutely over the moon! Omg we I’m there too!! Seems like were gonna be work partners!! Yes start late August which is also a relief as I didn’t feel ready to start in July! My name is Eimear Lynch if you want to add me on Fb :smile:
Hey guys! I’ve just been placed in Chillan in Chile. Does anyone know what the living costs are like over there? Just worried that the salary might not stretch very far but not sure if I’m concerned over nothing! Thanks and congrats to everyone who has heard back.
Original post by francesscawright
Hey guys! I’ve just been placed in Chillan in Chile. Does anyone know what the living costs are like over there? Just worried that the salary might not stretch very far but not sure if I’m concerned over nothing! Thanks and congrats to everyone who has heard back.

The average ELA wage is 400,000 pesos, which as I understand it is enough to cover the basics but we won't exactly be living like kings. Accommodation costs alone will likely eat up about 50% of our salaries, although it might be a bit better outside the capital, and then between food, transport and general living costs it won't really leave you anything if you want to travel. I'm planning to augment my salary with private lessons and maybe some online tutoring, plus I'm hoping to work for a couple of months this summer to save up more before going.
Yeah that sounds about right! I think we’ll get slightly more in the capital, but we’ll be fine we our salary, I plan to do tutoring too. So crazy we’re in the same institute! So excited now!
Yeah that sounds about right! I think we’ll get slightly more in the capital, but we’ll be fine we our salary, I plan to do tutoring too. So crazy we’re in the same institute! So excited now!

I know right, absolutely buzzing. PM'd you by the way :smile:
Original post by theconorra
The average ELA wage is 400,000 pesos, which as I understand it is enough to cover the basics but we won't exactly be living like kings. Accommodation costs alone will likely eat up about 50% of our salaries, although it might be a bit better outside the capital, and then between food, transport and general living costs it won't really leave you anything if you want to travel. I'm planning to augment my salary with private lessons and maybe some online tutoring, plus I'm hoping to work for a couple of months this summer to save up more before going.

That’s such a good idea! I was concerned that perhaps there would be less demand for private lessons compared to somewhere like China, but considering I’m working in a university hopefully it will all be fine. Do you know what kind of insurance you’re going for? I was thinking that backpackers might be sufficient but it’s difficult when I’m still not sure what exactly my start and end date of employment is, hopefully we’re informed ASAP. I’m also curious as to how lengthy the process is to obtain an ICPC, I know they said they’ll send out relevant details soon, I just hate not having everything organised. Something I’ll need to get used to living in South America!
Apparently Austria's regional allocations have just been sent out so now I'm the only person from my uni who hasn't been allocated 😩
Original post by francesscawright
That’s such a good idea! I was concerned that perhaps there would be less demand for private lessons compared to somewhere like China, but considering I’m working in a university hopefully it will all be fine. Do you know what kind of insurance you’re going for? I was thinking that backpackers might be sufficient but it’s difficult when I’m still not sure what exactly my start and end date of employment is, hopefully we’re informed ASAP. I’m also curious as to how lengthy the process is to obtain an ICPC, I know they said they’ll send out relevant details soon, I just hate not having everything organised. Something I’ll need to get used to living in South America!

I think I'm going to go for Backpackers insurance, don't think we need anything more to be honest. No idea about the ICPC, but you're right that it is a bit annoying that we can't do anything yet, visa, ICPC, flights etc. because they've given us no info.
anyone not received any allocation yet? i’m hoping i’ll hear something today...
Original post by trou_noir

Neither have I. I've been placed on a waiting list for Mexico, and whenever I have called their main office they have hardly been helpful. Where have you applied for?

What country are you waiting for? I emailed today and know that for Germany at least there are still applications being allocated. They said I'd hear by mid-June.

Still waiting for allocations for France. Don’t think I’ll hear anything until at least next week!
China people!
Has anyone sorted the medical examination? My research is showing some very pricey quotes 🙁
Original post by cutie_tootie
China people!
Has anyone sorted the medical examination? My research is showing some very pricey quotes 🙁

Yep! I was wondering if gps could do any of it for a lower price, but ive read online that they are reluctant to refer you for an x-ray! The lowest quote ive seen is £350 for a private examination which is so expensive
I've also got a place in Kärnten, Austria - anyone else got Austria?
Got allocated to my first choice of Tyrol, Austria! Looking forward to finding out exactly where now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending