lessisbore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm considering to study Bachelor's degree Architecture courses in the UK unis like AA school, UCL Bartlett, MSA and etc. I heard that some architecture schools in the UK are based on art school system and less intense in math than it is in South Korean unis; they have arch schools in the department of technology. I'm from Korea and meaning, I need to complete the foundation course.

So the main question I have is, How much math do I need to know?
1. Firstly in the foundation course and 2. when I enter the universities, 3. In the university what kind of math do they teach and how hard is it?

I appreciate your answers
Amanzhol
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

The level of maths required to study Architecture is not very high. Usually maths is only needed to a decent GCSE standard (I'm afraid I don't know what the equivalents are in South Korea, but GCSEs are the qualifications taken by 16 year olds in the UK) - meaning you don't need to have studied maths at age 17-18. This applies to foundation courses and undergraduate BA/BSc courses.

To answer your last question, the maths content is usually in the form of engineering/construction calculations (as well as other things to do with light and ventilation), but this makes up a relatively small part of the course and is not overly complex. This is taught in the form of lectures, just as other aspects such as 'environmental design' and 'history and theory' are also taught in lectures, and you will either be assessed on this through coursework or exams (exams are rare and normally only done at more academic universities such as Cambridge).

In terms of the universities you're considering, they are all very 'arty' and not as technical/'mathsy' as some other universities. Do you prefer the sound of a more arty course or more technical/mathsy one?

I'm in the process of applying to Architecture schools myself (including MSA), so I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have! Hope this helps

P.S. A good foundation course to consider is the 3D Design and Architecture foundation year at CSM (UAL)
cyw1994
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually if you do your research, most accredited Architectural Program in other countries like U.K, U.S, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand or even Germany do not require any Mathematics at all. Well, unless you apply to some Architectural-engineering course in UK. Which is not the case as I assume you are implying the regular RIBA-accredited Architecture courses.

I can safely confirm that no math and science are involve at least for my course in University of Portsmouth which I will be attending this year. I went around asking the current students about it, so I can confirm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (9)
15.25%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (14)
23.73%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
6.78%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
13.56%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
6.78%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
30.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.39%

Watched Threads