The Student Room Group

I think I might be 'nose blind' to smells in my house

I have a few cats and dogs and am paranoid about my house smelling. I go around with air freshener all the time, spraying everything like the couch, curtains room. I clean the floors with bleach and cleaning products etc,, but not sure if I have not become nose blind to everything or not. As when one of my little cousins came i heard him say under his breath that the house stinks.
Now i'm confused as I am forever spraying perfume, air freshener and bleaching floors...

What can i do? Anybody know how to make yourself not be nose blind anymore and to be more aware of smells?
Reply 1
Sorry, i mean a few cats and a dog. Not dogs, I only have 1 dog.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have a few cats and dogs and am paranoid about my house smelling. I go around with air freshener all the time, spraying everything like the couch, curtains room. I clean the floors with bleach and cleaning products etc,, but not sure if I have not become nose blind to everything or not. As when one of my little cousins came i heard him say under his breath that the house stinks.
Now i'm confused as I am forever spraying perfume, air freshener and bleaching floors...

What can i do? Anybody know how to make yourself not be nose blind anymore and to be more aware of smells?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIcAxt766XQ
Cats and dogs stink and the stench is even on your clothes. I can tell pet owners when queuing by the smell coming off their clothing. Makes me sick. Disgusting people with disgusting habits.
Reply 4
Original post by Huw M Thomas
Cats and dogs stink and the stench is even on your clothes. I can tell pet owners when queuing by the smell coming off their clothing. Makes me sick. Disgusting people with disgusting habits.

That's very harsh. Pet owners could be very clean people who are just unaware of the smell because they have become used to it. Your nose does this automatically. They probably shower all the time and clean regularly and it's just the fact pet smell's seem to linger for ages.
You shouldn't be so judgmental it makes you look uneducated.
Original post by Anonymous
That's very harsh. Pet owners could be very clean people who are just unaware of the smell because they have become used to it. Your nose does this automatically. They probably shower all the time and clean regularly and it's just the fact pet smell's seem to linger for ages.
You shouldn't be so judgmental it makes you look uneducated.

I've been visiting the homes of clients for 16 years and so I speak from experience. I only visit a client once and so I have numbers on my side.

Fact. Animals stink. Anything coming into contact with that smell will also stink. Items on Ebay and Amazon are often described as being from a pet free home. If it's not in the description I contact the seller to find out. If there are pets, I don't purchase.

Keeping a pet is a disgusting habit. This might be described as harsh as you say, but its a harsh reality.
I've been visiting the homes of clients for 16 years and so I speak from experience. I only visit a client once and so I have numbers on my side.

Fact. Animals stink. Anything coming into contact with that smell will also stink. Items on Ebay and Amazon are often described as being from a pet free home. If it's not in the description I contact the seller to find out. If there are pets, I don't purchase.

Keeping a pet is a disgusting habit. This might be described as harsh as you say, but its a harsh reality.

I have had some sort of pet since I was a child, making me honestly curios as to why you think it is disgusting.
Original post by neonNymph
I have had some sort of pet since I was a child, making me honestly curios as to why you think it is disgusting.

Try reading what I've posted on this thread.
Try reading what I've posted on this thread.

No you said the smell spreads everywhere and that keeping pets is a disgusting habit. Smell does not necessarily mean it is disgusting (for example certain foods and flowers).
I only asked on why is keeping pets disgusting to you.
Bugs, bacteria or slobber?
No you said the smell spreads everywhere and that keeping pets is a disgusting habit. Smell does not necessarily mean it is disgusting (for example certain foods and flowers).
I only asked on why is keeping pets disgusting to you.
Bugs, bacteria or slobber?

There's only one thing that stinks more than a pet and that is the attitude of pet owners, when confronted with the truth about their dearly beloved stinking dog or cat.
There's only one thing that stinks more than a pet and that is the attitude of pet owners, when confronted with the truth about their dearly beloved stinking dog or cat.

Look I know pet stink, especially when they roll in the mud. And with some people how they keep pets is actually disgusting, such as not cleaning after them or the owner allowing them to eat together. People without pets can smell or be disgusting.
Do fish stink, what is wrong with loving my pet and there are many benefits of keeping pets even if they do smell.
Look I know pet stink, especially when they roll in the mud. And with some people how they keep pets is actually disgusting, such as not cleaning after them or the owner allowing them to eat together. People without pets can smell or be disgusting.
Do fish stink, what is wrong with loving my pet and there are many benefits of keeping pets even if they do smell.

There's that attitude I was speaking of...
There's that attitude I was speaking of...

Your correct this time, I have shown a bit of an attitude however can I ask again what makes keeping pets disgusting?
This time could you refrain from saying they stink, teenagers stink.
You sound like you’re doing all you can to be honest... you’re cleaning everything thoroughly. Perhaps your little cousin carried a bad smell on him and thought it was your house?

Quick Reply

Latest