The Student Room Group

All 5 uni choices are Russell Group! Was I wrong to do this?

Hi. So basically, all my 5 choices are Russell Group. None of them have replied yet and I'm worried that all 5 might reject me because my predictions were not too great (A*AA for MEng Mechanical Engineering) and my GCSEs were trash too (As, Bs and Cs). I'm just getting freaked out now. Should I refund my application and change my uni choices?

Scroll to see replies

Which were the Uni choices to be exact? When did you apply?
Original post by abhinair3004
Which were the Uni choices to be exact? When did you apply?

Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds. Last Monday.

Spoiler

I totally didn't pay attention at who posted lol :biggrin:
You've applied just a week back, there's a lot of time for you to get your offer. I'd be worrying if it was mid-February and you didn't get your offers.
Keep calm, you'll get a lot more hysterical till you get your first offer or rejection. However, do not contact a uni regarding this and keep regular checks on your email and UCAS Track. You'll get one soon enough
You should at least remove one, Loughborough has an incredible engineering department and has Rolls Royce on its campus, I'd consider that as one of your options as it is in the top 10 for every leader board and has an incredible student satisfaction.
Original post by GeorgeBear
You should at least remove one, Loughborough has an incredible engineering department and has Rolls Royce on its campus, I'd consider that as one of your options as it is in the top 10 for every leader board and has an incredible student satisfaction.

Could he change his choices considering he's already applied.
P.S. Loughborough is a great uni, if you're the sporty kind, it's perfect for you
Original post by abhinair3004
Could he change his choices considering he's already applied.
P.S. Loughborough is a great uni, if you're the sporty kind, it's perfect for you

^ That's also true, if you want a night life you can catch a 6 minute train to Nottingham or Leicester.

He can, within 2 weeks of applying. :-)

I've applied to Loughborough with mostly A's in my GCSEs and predicted A*A*A for engineering, I'm considering picking it over my other Russell group choices. :P
I’m pretty sure you can get into most of those with those predictions. And applying for 5 RG unis with those grades isn’t uncommon (I think)
Reply 8
Only TSR cares about RG.

Anyway, it's Christmas holidays nearly for most unis so I'd stop worrying and settle down for the wait.
Agreed, Russell Groups don't mean a lot, not many employers actually know if a University is a Russell group or not, if anything its a gimmick which is used as a marketing campaign to get investors from other countries. Funnily enough Loughborough as mentioned makes so much more money from investors. MANY of the universities that are Russell Group are terrible these days.
Most of my friends only applied to RG universities and we call got our top choices. So long as you work hard and use your teachers for support, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t get the grades you deserve and go to a RG uni if that’s what you want to do.
What are the entry standards for these courses?
I applied to all RG and got my first offer after 2 months, don't worry. You have good predictions and I've heard Manchester give offers to most people that meet the requirements.
Since when was A*AA "not too great"? I just checked for Leeds. A*AA is the minimum.

If you can't change anything now, just relax and see what happens. If you can change something, and the BEng has lower entry requirements, switch to that instead.

I initially thought of adding Loughborough to my choices. But my overall impression of the city and the campus was not too great!
Original post by bookloverlolly
I’m pretty sure you can get into most of those with those predictions. And applying for 5 RG unis with those grades isn’t uncommon (I think)

I'm just worried coz almost everyone I know is applying with straight A* predictions.
Agreed, Russell Groups don't mean a lot, not many employers actually know if a University is a Russell group or not, if anything its a gimmick which is used as a marketing campaign to get investors from other countries. Funnily enough Loughborough as mentioned makes so much more money from investors. MANY of the universities that are Russell Group are terrible these days.

"Terrible"? In what sense?
Original post by chazwomaq
What are the entry standards for these courses?

Three require AAA and two require A*AA
Original post by Celestiall
I applied to all RG and got my first offer after 2 months, don't worry. You have good predictions and I've heard Manchester give offers to most people that meet the requirements.

Congrats and thanks! Manchester is all I'm worried about coz they're are my first choice.
Original post by Lilium
Since when was A*AA "not too great"? I just checked for Leeds. A*AA is the minimum.

If you can't change anything now, just relax and see what happens. If you can change something, and the BEng has lower entry requirements, switch to that instead.

My main concern is getting onto the BEng course and not being able to switch later on.

Quick Reply